new to the "smartphone scene"

ridetough

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
i hope i am posting this in the right forum. but i am new to smartphones and all tech. thats related with them as far as abbreviations(OTA, ROM, SD), names and such. i was just wondering if someone could write something up or post a link to somewhere that i can read and process all the info i would need to know about smartphones. because i have no clue what im doing and im tired of trying to get the whole picture by just reading technical forums (its like a foreign language to me)

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
i hope i am posting this in the right forum. but i am new to smartphones and all tech. thats related with them as far as abbreviations(OTA, ROM, SD), names and such. i was just wondering if someone could write something up or post a link to somewhere that i can read and process all the info i would need to know about smartphones. because i have no clue what im doing and im tired of trying to get the whole picture by just reading technical forums (its like a foreign language to me)

You can for the most part go ahead and ask your "stupid" questions here as well. Be clear that a search is often the right way to get through the question and get the answer yourself. However, a search some times takes you directly to the correct answer, and that correct answer actually leaves you more confused than you started. If you find that to be the case, break down what you're trying to ask into as small pieces as you can including anything that you are seeing on your device that could help other readers visualize your problem and identify how to best help you. You can not actually give too much information about a problem. Too little information, though, is a huge plausibility.

Some times you will see folks throwing around some massive Jargon. "I just got the new .232 DL to my ExtSD, I FXZ'd to 902, took the OTA to 905, then CWM'd External SD to 232 and rockin ICS... lol - it's cool" That's a pretty intense sentence, but it's really easily understood if you know what the jargon all means. In this case, it's a common description of how we are handling the new Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich leaks that are coming from Motorola themselves. This sentence is saying, from different leak, they downloaded the .232 version to their external SD card, then they used a method called FXZ that puts your phone back to Android 2.3 and the .902 version of such. Then, it is required that you upgrade Over The Air to version .905 before you put your phone into standard Android recovery and load the new leak which is Ice Cream Sandwich.

Just like any sport, job, event, skill, etc. there are words you get used to. If you play guitar, moving chord might be one that you understand, football players understand "zip motion", people at your work may or may not understand TPS reports and why we use them. Just keep plugging away, keep reading and asking questions. Some will flame you pretty hard, call you a dumbass and things like that, but that's just because they don't know the answer either and want to try to not feel bad about it too. The vast majority will actually answer and then request you maybe search harder next time.

Have fun, welcome to the wonderful world of Android and Smartphones! It's a good chunk of your life you will now waste here!

Reactions: ridetough

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc