Discontinued

jjsaw5

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I was on the phone with Big Red yesterday dealing with some issues my wife was having with her phone. Long story short she is going to upgrade early and while we were still on the phone with Tech Support looking over phone options I noticed that the Bionic was not on the website anymore.

So I asked the Tech guy ?Hey how come I don?t see the Bionic on here??

His exact words. ?Motorola discontinued them because they are junk.?

Anyone else heard this?

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was on the phone with Big Red yesterday dealing with some issues my wife was having with her phone. Long story short she is going to upgrade early and while we were still on the phone with Tech Support looking over phone options I noticed that the Bionic was not on the website anymore.

So I asked the Tech guy ?Hey how come I don?t see the Bionic on here??

His exact words. ?Motorola discontinued them because they are junk.?

Anyone else heard this?

Yep. That is their new #1 for returns. Think the VGA camera was one of the things that irritated people the most....among other things. Surprised they left it on the market as long as they did

jjsaw5

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess I was a little taken back when he said that. Sucks that I now have a discontinued phone for another year until i can upgrade it.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yep. That is their new #1 for returns. Think the VGA camera was one of the things that irritated people the most....among other things. Surprised they left it on the market as long as they did

Based on what? Doing some searching I haven't yet been able to find the return statistics for the Bionic.

I have no idea where you get your information from but if you have been following this phone, the camera is rarely griped about, there were some software issues with it when first released but those have been long dead. The VGA camera is the front facing one and that one gets fewer mentions than the rear one.

Onto the real problems: The biggest thing that seems to have manufacturing problems/issues are the radios/antennas where some have problems holding onto 4G and WiFi. In that respect it's not a function of bad design, that is more over bad quality control which Motorola should take very seriously.

Next, Motorola did put out the Bionic and then a month or so later introduced their RAZR line. If you have been following Motorola's marketing, it has been RAZR this, RAZR that and so on - so in that respect it's not so much the phone itself being garbage per se, it has been more about poor management of releases on behalf of Motorola.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
About the 4G and wifi connections, at least from everything I've been reading about the ICS leaks, those issues should go away when the OTA update happens.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Based on what? Doing some searching I haven't yet been able to find the return statistics for the Bionic.

I have no idea where you get your information from but if you have been following this phone, the camera is rarely griped about, there were some software issues with it when first released but those have been long dead. The VGA camera is the front facing one and that one gets fewer mentions than the rear one.

Onto the real problems: The biggest thing that seems to have manufacturing problems/issues are the radios/antennas where some have problems holding onto 4G and WiFi. In that respect it's not a function of bad design, that is more over bad quality control which Motorola should take very seriously.

Next, Motorola did put out the Bionic and then a month or so later introduced their RAZR line. If you have been following Motorola's marketing, it has been RAZR this, RAZR that and so on - so in that respect it's not so much the phone itself being garbage per se, it has been more about poor management of releases on behalf of Motorola.

80% of all statistics are made up. 95% of all people know that too. Therefore, I'm saying that 72% of the return share is made up of Bionics, give or take a particularly arbitrary number.

Also, we have been getting many rumors of the Bionic being discontinued. They started about 6 or 7 days after the Bionic came out. My phone is for sure not junk. It's pretty awesome still and ICS makes it even better. Not everyone complains all the time about the Bionic, it is just those individuals are constantly complaining and thus are more powerful than those of us who are extremely happy.

Last edited:

DroidnewVZ

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Ya know what, I got the Bionic on day one. I'm on my third. I really really wanted to like it, but I'm worn out. I went from a BB Storm2 to this and I'm pretty pissed......

I called Verizon today to try for some tech support and they offered me a new phone immediately. As in, brand new Samsung or Razr or whatever. Pretty much anything other than the S3.

Guess what....I'm jumping ship. I'm taking this offer and hoping for phone happiness.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I used to be a Blackberry Bold user but bought a LG Enlighten phone because it was an android phone, it was cheaper than the Bionic, and I wanted to try one with a slider keyboard. That didn't last very long before I was back on e-bay looking at the Droid Bionic phones again. The LG Enlighten just didn't have enough memory for all of the applications that I wanted to keep on it and I was constantly moving programs onto the SD card. That got old after about a month for me.

Here is my experience with the Droid Bionic. I bought this phone off of e-bay and it was the best purchase I've ever made. I had a few issues getting it activated but after getting a new SIM card and talking with tech support at Verizon, I was off and running with this phone. I've noticed a few little software glitches but normally, they have been fixed by the next update. Either that or I find ways to work around them. Knock on wood, I've had very good luck with my phone. I'm planning on keeping this phone until my contract expires in June of next year.

My co-worker, however, has not had the same luck with her Bionic. She loves the phone but because of issues with her phone she has had to have two warranty replacement phones sent to her since she first got the Bionic. I think that she got the Bionic either in late December or early January.

The customer service rep that told you that the Bionic was junk may have dealt with a lot of people who had issues with this phone but if it was still on Verizon's web site, I would go on there and give it an excellent review from my own personal experience.

Just adding my 2 cents here.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Still on my day 1 Bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

jjsaw5

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ya know what, I got the Bionic on day one. I'm on my third. I really really wanted to like it, but I'm worn out. I went from a BB Storm2 to this and I'm pretty pissed......

I called Verizon today to try for some tech support and they offered me a new phone immediately. As in, brand new Samsung or Razr or whatever. Pretty much anything other than the S3.

Guess what....I'm jumping ship. I'm taking this offer and hoping for phone happiness.

I've been offered a couple different phones but nothing great. If you don't mind me asking what did they offer you?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd still rather deal with this phone than their darling Razr and its junk of a screen. :p

I'm a Bionic and Razr Maxx owner, and I don't know where your comment stems from. Have you used the Razr? The screen is certainly not HD or fantastic, but it is better than the Bionic Screen. I LOVED my Bionic and I always got mad when Razr owners would say that, but it is the truth. You can't say you like your phone better than another because the other screen sucks, when your phone is literally made worse.

The one argument I always used in defending the screen on the Bionic is the direct sunlight, and it's true that it looks better in the sun. But you can also see the Razr screen just fine.

Bionic Bobsled

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I guess we went off on a tangent. Sooooo, is the Bionic discontinued or not? If so, what does this mean for ICS for those of us that still plan to use the Bionic another year or so?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
LegalAmerican, I'll PM you so we don't derail this thread any more.

As for ICS, I'm still sure we'll be getting it after reading threads on here. If not, why would they have all the leaks coming out and not retract their statement about rolling it out 3Q of this year.

mwohrlin

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
They need to hurry up and get the ICS OTA released. I had a few issues when I first got my Bionic. But once I installed the ICS leak, its like night and day. My Bionic runs like a champ. I am loving it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess we went off on a tangent. Sooooo, is the Bionic discontinued or not? If so, what does this mean for ICS for those of us that still plan to use the Bionic another year or so?

It's probably done.

I haven't seen any leaks that say EOL for the Bionic yet though.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
It's probably done.

I haven't seen any leaks that say EOL for the Bionic yet though.

Yeah. I would imagine it is. It certainly has been the bastard red headed step child of the recent Verizon android phones. A quiet exit would be fitting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Joeyg720

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure what people are crying about when it comes to the bionic.. ive had no issues with mine..phones amazing.. one of the best of ive used

DACNET

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love my Bionic.

It is fair to say that all phones, present and in the future, will have their shares of issues. I was able to deal with the few from my Bionic and can honestly say that it is a great telephone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1