Data sync arrows

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The little circular arrows in my notification bar are going on all the time lately. It seems to make my phone lag a bit. Is anyone else experiencing this? I would love to believe that it has something to do with Ice Cream Sandwich coming, but somehow I doubt it! :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, which arrows are you talking about? If it's the up and down arrows, those are the actual data transfer indicators. But you said circular arrows, which are the sync arrows. If it's flashing, it means something on the phone is sync'ing with its servers. I.E. your Google Contacts list, some messenger apps, ect. I think it is supposed to only do it periodically. If it's flashing all the time, then something may be stuck in a sync mode. There is a way to globally turn sync on and off for all apps. I don't remember the basic way to do it via the settings menu, but I use the built in Power Control widget and it has a sync button on it. Otherwise, you need to go through each app and turn its sync option on/off (if applicable) one at a time.

Personally, I don't have anything that needs sync'ed very often, so I just keep it turned off globally and only turn it on if I've updated something like my contacts list. Once it's done, I turn it back off to save on my batter and data.

Reactions: enb123

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, which arrows are you talking about? If it's the up and down arrows, those are the actual data transfer indicators. But you said circular arrows, which are the sync arrows. If it's flashing, it means something on the phone is sync'ing with its servers. I.E. your Google Contacts list, some messenger apps, ect. I think it is supposed to only do it periodically. If it's flashing all the time, then something may be stuck in a sync mode. There is a way to globally turn sync on and off for all apps. I don't remember the basic way to do it via the settings menu, but I use the built in Power Control widget and it has a sync button on it. Otherwise, you need to go through each app and turn its sync option on/off (if applicable) one at a time.

Personally, I don't have anything that needs sync'ed very often, so I just keep it turned off globally and only turn it on if I've updated something like my contacts list. Once it's done, I turn it back off to save on my batter and data.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I mean the circular sync arrows. They are appearing much more often, and there's an accompanying lag - which is the main reason I noticed. I'll try your suggestion of turning sync off via the Power Control widget and seeing what effect that has. :cool:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The little circular arrows in my notification bar are going on all the time lately. It seems to make my phone lag a bit. Is anyone else experiencing this? I would love to believe that it has something to do with Ice Cream Sandwich coming, but somehow I doubt it! :D

You probably have some bad data in one of your synced accounts - probably a Google account. From home, menu:settings:accounts. Tap your Google account. See which of the items has a spinning ball.

If it is Gmail, settings:applications:manage applications; tap "All" at the top. Find GMail, tap it, and "clear data".

If it is Contacts, settings:applications:manage applications; tap "All" at the top. Find Contacts Storage, tap it, and "clear data".

If it is Calendar, settings:applications:manage applications; tap "All" at the top. Find Calendar Storage, tap it, and "clear data".

If it is something else, you'll have to find the one that corresponds to it in that list.

This should start syncing within a few minutes, but then stop after a few more. You'll probably need to go into the settings for whichever app you cleared to change the notification, etc., settings back to what you want.

See if that helps...

Reactions: enb123

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2