Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts

Default GPS really slow to lock in

I generally keep GPS turned off. After I turn it on for some reason my it is really slow, like several minutes, to lock into the satellites. Never used to take that long. On my Android tablet, it literally takes 10 seconds.

Anyone else having this problem? Any fix for this?

Thanks.

The 905 update made GPS slow to where you couldn't use it. What version are you on

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Default Re: GPS really slow to lock in

Just curious as to what you are using to know when you are "locked", a GPS app or a map/navigation app. You can download the app, for free, called "GPS status" and it will show and tell you exactly how long the "time to first lock" is and it will let you download the A-GPS data which uses the cell tower GPS data to assist GPS locking also. Not sure how often the phone itself updates this data, but I am sure that it does. Just saying that it might be the navigation app that is slow and not necessarily the GPS receiver itself but GPS status will show you all of the satellites above you and which ones you are locked on and give you the full picture.
    OH and i forgot to mention that app will eat your battery up in a hurry when it is running.
    Droid Maxx

US Navy CPO Ret

yeah, the 905 update totally ruined my gps.... its basically completely worthless for 5+ minutes when i start using it..

Hmmm....I noticed the same thing recently, but can't say when it began as I rarely use my phone for GPS services. One day, my car GPS began to act up though, so I switched to my phone. It seemed to take forever to get a GPS lock. I happened to try it again a few days ago and it was the same thing. Guess now, I know why!

Edit: .905 OTA Update
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (but not for long) or Acer Iconia A500
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JStrider View Post
    yeah, the 905 update totally ruined my gps.... its basically completely worthless for 5+ minutes when i start using it..
    Yeah, pretty sure it started after the 905 update. At least I know it isn't my phone, but is happening to others as well.

The way I was determining whether GPS had locked in was when it was able to locate my present location. That is taking 5+ minutes.

I did download the GPS status app and it showed several satellites available, but also took 5+ minutes to lock in.

Hopefully, if we get ICS, this will be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by sbudaj View Post
    I did download the GPS status app and it showed several satellites available, but also took 5+ minutes to lock in.

Hopefully, if we get ICS, this will be fixed.
    Wow...mine usually takes between 5 secs and 50 secs.
    Droid Maxx

US Navy CPO Ret

ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

I'm on .905, and GPS is fast and accurate. Coming from the Palm Pre, I must say that the GPS experience is among the highlights of my BIONIC experience to date.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts

When I first got my Bionic it was very fast. Something happened after the upgrade to 905 that slowed it way down. Seems like not everyone is having the problem. Makes it much more difficult to diagnose.

Yeah, had exact same problems on 905, was a nightmare navigating on foot around DC. Works very well again on ICS 232 leak.

Mine is very slow too. Several mins to lock on my location. It used to be very fast but something changed around 2 months ago.

At nearly the same time as the OTA to .905, Maps was updated from ver 6.3 to (I think) ver 6.9 and that seems to be when the lock probs began.
    Since then Maps has been updated again to ver 6.11.1...it still is slow to lock, but by using the free app 'GPS Status and Tools' first (to get location data downloaded from the interwebz and getting a lock), closing it and then re-opening Maps, I find that I get instant lock.
    This is fine for a day or three, but may require going thru the GPS Status steps again later on.
    HTH