1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unroot for OTA ice cream sandwich?

Will I need to unroot my Bionic to receive the ICS update once it DOES come?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Unroot for OTA ice cream sandwich?

200 views and NO answer? Really?

ROM
    Stock 905, Rooted

Probably because all those viewers are "face palming" and do not have a hand free to reply with an answer.

The answer is no, you do not have to unroot.

You can retain root using OTA Rootkeeper going from GB to ICS. But. if that does not hold (since all these leaks are rootable and more than likely the OTA will be) you should be able to use Razr's edge for the chance root does not hold in the upgrade.

p.s. Root is fine for the upgrade but if you have made any other modifications to the OS or have custom recovery installed the update will fail. In that case, if you are currently on 5.9.905, you will need to FXZ back to a clean stock 5.9.905. You can reroot after FXZ'ing before accepting the OTA - just do not redo any other OS modifications.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by skeetch79 View Post
    Probably because all those viewers are "face palming" and do not have a hand free to reply with an answer.

The answer is no, you do not have to unroot.

You can retain root using OTA Rootkeeper going from GB to ICS. But. if that does not hold (since all these leaks are rootable and more than likely the OTA will be) you should be able to use Razr's edge for the chance root does not hold in the upgrade.

p.s. Root is fine for the upgrade but if you have made any other modifications to the OS or have custom recovery installed the update will fail. In that case, if you are currently on 5.9.905, you will need to FXZ back to a clean stock 5.9.905. You can reroot after FXZ'ing before accepting the OTA - just do not redo any other OS modifications.
    Thank you.
    But, why would they be face palming over a reasonable question?
    Not everyone is completely on top of all the how-to's regarding the android cracking.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock 905, Rooted

Sorry, I did not mean to come off in an insulting way. It is crazy though that so many people viewed the post but did not comment.

The Android community is very large and there is a lot of help out there. There are a lot of people who devote countless hours into helping others and into creating tools that make our lives easier.

AFAIK there hasn't been an upgrade which has failed due to root and if there has been there are tools now can mostly circumvent that issue (i.e. Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, etc - which protects or hides the root file for the upgrade and then give the user the option to restore it afterwards). As I stated in my earlier post, a lot of the failing of OTA's happen because the user has modified his/her system somehow or the update is applied incorrectly. The OTA's run through a check list to make sure the system and its files are in tact. When OTA's upgrade a system, there is usually a good deal of file "patching" going on, so before a file can be patched it has to be verified that is in fact the correct version you are coming from.

Hope this helps. Again I am sorry for coming off the way I did. Hopefully ICS won't be too far off!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well, I haven't modified anything outside of installing 232 leak.
    I am going to fxz my phone back to 905 once ICS does get here.

Thanks, skeetch

NEED DESPERATE HELP!!
    I have heard that you need to temporarily unroot to fxz to .905, is this correct? Also, I can't seem to temp unroot because superuser says that I don't have the such binary installed. What can I do? I want to take the ota to official ics.

Thanks for any help

ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish001 View Post
    NEED DESPERATE HELP!!
    I have heard that you need to temporarily unroot to fxz to .905, is this correct? Also, I can't seem to temp unroot because superuser says that I don't have the such binary installed. What can I do? I want to take the ota to official ics.

Thanks for any help
    What version are you on now?