1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I need some advice on upgrading from the Bionic

I need some advice on upgrading from the Bionic

So this past weekend, I got to try out my brother's Razr Maxx and was awestruck by it. The only advantage the Bionic has is the removable battery, if you ask me. But the spectacular battery on the Maxx negates that to an extent.

I'm pretty much determined to get a replacement phone, at this point. I mean, the ICS OTA will pretty much have to come out the next 48-hours to sway my decision. A user should never have to employ leaked software to get the most out of their device.

I bought my Bionic Sept 15th of last year, so I know the 1-Year VzW warranty has expired. My Bionic has seen a lot of faulty GPS and charging functionality recently. The water damage indicator has some marking to it, from moderate exposure. Funny thing is this my third Bionic, but each one has had its share of problems.

What is my best recourse?

A) I demand an early upgrade from VzW

B) I file a claim with Asurion

Either option, I'll demand at least a Rarz Maxx (I've become accustomed to using the extended battery on my bionic).

Thanks for your feedback. Really wish it didn't come to this.

Default Re: I need some advice on upgrading from the Bionic

I went ahead and got the Galaxy S3.
    Seems to be great on the battery life.
    AND Jelly Bean is coming soon!
    I am keeping the Bionic as a spare for now.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

At droid forums they recommended I give .232 a try, since I can go back to .905. However, this is my first Android device (last phone was a 3G S), so I have NO experience rooting or installing any leaked OS. I'm not completely illiterate from technical standpoint, but I also don't want to brick my phone. How difficult is this task, and what amount of time will it take? What's a good link for the how-to?

Since I've had my Bionic for over a year, the warranty has expired, correct? Thus I won't have to worry about warranty violations...

My brother is pretty handy with all things computer, so I may end up dumping this on him

I must say it's really cool how Androids can be customized in so many ways. Glad I said bye iOS last year. Still wish we got ICS as promised long ago.

Im on. 232 leak ics.. so far all is good.. i dont think Motorola is gonna release anything any time soon..

:droid:

ROM
    6.7.246 / stock

Quote Originally Posted by 804hokie View Post
    At droid forums they recommended I give .232 a try, since I can go back to .905. However, this is my first Android device (last phone was a 3G S), so I have NO experience rooting or installing any leaked OS. I'm not completely illiterate from technical standpoint, but I also don't want to brick my phone. How difficult is this task, and what amount of time will it take? What's a good link for the how-to?

Since I've had my Bionic for over a year, the warranty has expired, correct? Thus I won't have to worry about warranty violations...

My brother is pretty handy with all things computer, so I may end up dumping this on him

I must say it's really cool how Androids can be customized in so many ways. Glad I said bye iOS last year. Still wish we got ICS as promised long ago.
    Go to SamuriHL and the House of Bionic:

If you can follow instructions, read the FAQ, and download the install items.

He has made it just about fool proof.

I started off on 232, then moved to the 244 leak, and now on 247.

It looks like 247 will be the OTA.

The phone is amazing with this build.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well, I did upgrade to .232 successfully. So far I really like what I see. I know that .232 can flash back to .905 if need be. ICS does seem to make this like a new phone. I still assume I'll be switching the OTA when it's out. Looks like I'll be sticking with the Bionic for a few months yet. Still can't believe VzW hasn't aired ICS yet, but the official released better be near flawless and see JB come along soon after.

Thanks everyone for your input (and for saving me a few bones)!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be putting the new OS through its paces. I will still be very excited when word of the OTA is released.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Huge improvement in battery life (I almost always use the extended battery). Interface is way more intuitive. Yes, this is the phone I was promised a year ago. Can't wait for JB.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Another possibility...
    I was on my 3rd bionic, kept having trouble holding an lte signal. Called Verizon and demanded a razr instead of another bionic. And I'm holding it now. Worlds of difference!!
    I'm not knocking the bionic, i liked that phone, and greatly appreciated this community, especially ldubs in the early days, but this is heaven compared to it. And i bought the bionic the day it came out. So i don't know about warranty stuff, but it worked for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikin View Post
    Another possibility...
    I was on my 3rd bionic, kept having trouble holding an lte signal. Called Verizon and demanded a razr instead of another bionic. And I'm holding it now. Worlds of difference!!
    I'm not knocking the bionic, i liked that phone, and greatly appreciated this community, especially ldubs in the early days, but this is heaven compared to it. And i bought the bionic the day it came out. So i don't know about warranty stuff, but it worked for me.
    Not sure if you've read enough to realize that once on ICS, the Bionic and Razr are identical in performance specs. The only difference is the Razr has a bit better aesthetics, can't replace the battery, and the Super AMOLED screen. The last two being a detriment to the Razr imho, as you have a green tinted screen and the Bionic can hold the extended batteries that will blow away the life of any Razr.

And yes, I owned a Razr for about a week. Couldn't get that thing exchanged quick enough with that screen issue.

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Honestly, I would wait for the new Nexus to come out. Having a pure Google device has major advantages.

----------------------------------
    Brought to you by the Google Galaxy Nexus. Bow to me iPhone 5.

AnDevCon December 4-7 2012 in San Fran!
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1