DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
How do you go to Google Now? I can use the search button on the bottom right of my phone, but that not only opens Google Now but also puts my cursor in the search box and opens my Keyboard. On my Nexus 7 I could swipe up from the Home button but that doesn't work on the Droid Bionic. So what's the best practice to just open Google Now, but not open the search dialog.

Jelly Bean seems faster than ICS was. I'm liking it so far.

Anyway to get Photosphere now that we're on Jelly Bean?

Long press the search button. Then press the Menu key and select Settings. You should be able to turn on Google Now from there if it isn't already on.

However, I think it automatically opens the keyboard on you. You can also try using the Google Now widget.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Tells me I'm not allowed to view that forum. I don't like creating accounts all over the net in places I don't normally visit, but looks like I'm gonna make an exception here. Thanks for the link.

Edit: Apparently I already was a member and just forgot. :eek: Got logged in and bookmarked for later reading.

Well, that's the forum where my HoB is hosted. :)

Axlerod1

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
None For me either. I just got an email where there was a bug in the system and 100 bionic testers couldn't log into the forums. Do maybe tomorrow.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Long press the search button. Then press the Menu key and select Settings. You should be able to turn on Google Now from there if it isn't already on.

However, I think it automatically opens the keyboard on you. You can also try using the Google Now widget.

After pressing the Search button and getting the keyboard, press the Back button to remove the keyboard.

monkeyass408

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Sqlite editor works for you to disable the entitlement check so you can use the stock wifi hotspot granted that you keep root through the update. Same process as before.

My wifi is great 4g is great phone is working the same as on ics except it is buttery (pun intended) smooth. Has anyone found a way to get the wifi tether to work on JB yet my computer connected to it and the app showed data being used but I was unable to get on the internet.

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
After pressing the Search button and getting the keyboard, press the Back button to remove the keyboard.

That's true, but I think 1800Collect was looking for a way to open Now *without* the search box activating. Don't think that is an option though. (Although it's not like pressing the back button takes that much time anyway)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Scottydoh

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Long time lurker and first time poster. Just wanted to say a big thanks to Samuri for all the Bionic support. Just flashed Jelly Bean from stock recovery and it worked flawlessly. Preserved root with the superuser+Voodoo method, no problems so far!

tvue83

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Sam is the man. Big props for the jelly bean update. Any one else's headphone whine went away with this update?

danrenfroe2016

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Really good update. Feels like the phone is faster. Apps launch quicker and just much better. Also the washing machine camera icon looks better now.

:)

Using the recovery option went fine.

Update took forever.

Complaint: this is what this phone should have been at launch!

Thanks Sam for all the info.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
That's true, but I think 1800Collect was looking for a way to open Now *without* the search box activating. Don't think that is an option though. (Although it's not like pressing the back button takes that much time anyway)

Add the now widget. I like it a lot.

whomhead

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
How do you go to Google Now? I can use the search button on the bottom right of my phone, but that not only opens Google Now but also puts my cursor in the search box and opens my Keyboard. On my Nexus 7 I could swipe up from the Home button but that doesn't work on the Droid Bionic. So what's the best practice to just open Google Now, but not open the search dialog.

Jelly Bean seems faster than ICS was. I'm liking it so far.

Anyway to get Photosphere now that we're on Jelly Bean?

A long press of the search button brings up Google Now from anywhere.

If you only tap the button, it'll pop up like you describe.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I screwed myself and permanently lost root as a result. Hurray. Or something. And no, no one needs to worry about making the same mistake I did. I promise you, you can't.

moonlightinwhite

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Completely painless.

1.) Backed up everything via My Backup
2.) Switched to stock ROM in SafeStrap
3.) Booted up, uninstalled SS, updated SU, installed Voodoo and protected root
4.) Rebooted into recovery, installed from zip
5.) Rebooted, watched it go through its spiel, went into Voodoo to restore root and checked SU and all's good!

Now I'm just letting My Backup do its thing and I'll spend another hour putting my phone back the way it is...but first impression is that JB really is an improvement :)

Thanks to everyone who did this first - for your feedback and suggestions - and for Sam for all of his tips, tricks, insider info, and for sticking around to help when possible!

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I screwed myself and permanently lost root as a result. Hurray. Or something. And no, no one needs to worry about making the same mistake I did. I promise you, you can't.

Very very sorry to hear that Sam. :( I'm sure it happened only your quest to help the community in some fashion.
I know Dan retired, but someone will step up and come up with a new root exploit.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

vegeta

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Mine if I long press the search button I don't get a keyboard popup.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea, it was my own stupidity. I was in fact trying to do something to help us all and forgot I left it on my phone. It was a custom version of OTA Rootkeeper that I modified to put the backup in a different location. Unfortunately it doesn't work so there's nothing I can do about it now.

moonlightinwhite

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Damn, dude, that sucks...especially after all you've done to help folks get the most out their phones. You have my condolences :(