DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
While I don't doubt that everyone including me appreciates your knowledge and inside info on the Droid telephones, my question wasn't directed at you specifically as you might have thought. You don't have to be snooty, a simple yes or no would have sufficed. If you don't have anything nice to say, you don't have to post a reply. Thank you though for your answer.

I love responses like this. Makes me so love helping others...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Now now everyone, let's be civil. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to their face then don't say it here. We're all here to help one another, laugh at jokes together, cry when Motorola decides not to update our phones together, and rejoice when we learn we actually are getting a update together.

You must understand, Sam has answered this and many similar questions a number of times, and i bet he's just getting worn out. If we all be nice and grateful he'll continue being the best help we bionic owners have, if we bite the hand that feeds us we will be in the dark.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

johnejo

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I understand Motorola no longer "provides" leaks of future updates, but does anyone know if they still have "soak" tests? Just wondering.

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
You know what's interesting: There is no corresponding thread to this over at the Razr (original) forum. I was hoping that when they got their JB update, we'd be able to follow along and see what they're experiencing - both good and bad. I wonder if they all have given up?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to give details, but, things are really not good at all right now on any of the JB builds. Nothing's been pushed out and nothing is likely to this week. There are issues that need to be addressed before that can happen. What I said about the Bionic build going out this month is looking increasingly unlikely. I believe it'll be a small miracle if the D4 and RAZR builds make it out at this point.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to give details, but, things are really not good at all right now on any of the JB builds. Nothing's been pushed out and nothing is likely to this week. There are issues that need to be addressed before that can happen. What I said about the Bionic build going out this month is looking increasingly unlikely. I believe it'll be a small miracle if the D4 and RAZR builds make it out at this point.

I hate to say it, but I am not terribly surprised by this bad news. Keep us posted as you can, Sam. I wish Moto was as forthcoming....

matriX1218

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Motorola replied me on my Google + that Droid Bionic will be updated but not sure when :-(

Hope to get some good news from SamuriHL ;-)

Sent from my Droid Bionic via Reliance Wireless

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It will get updated. I also share in their no idea when statement. I said before if nothing went wrong it'd be by the end of Feb. Well, I no longer believe we'll see it before the end of Feb...

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I was just calculating in my head last night that if things were on schedule then we are still at least four weeks out. I.e. Razr gets soak this week, rolls out next week, we get soak the week after, then roll out the week after that. BUT, it looks like this isn't going to happen. So, JB might be nice, but like I said a little back, at this point I'd rather take the $100 credit. I don't plan on going to any other manufacturer. Samsung is becoming the iPhone of Android, HTC just hasn't put out a device that I would jump on yet, and LG hasn't put out a decent Verizon phone for a while (at least in my opinion). So, I'm hoping Motorola gets their heads out of their butts soon, and puts out a killer device, one that can and will compete with Samsung.

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking for a new Moogle phone I'd say watch Google I/O. ;) You might like what you see. cough cough :D

Ya, I figured we'd see something then. It's also perfect timing as my contract is going to be up for renewal by then. I'd almost be willing to bet they were trying to get it out right at that time to try to keep people on Motorola...

Really the only thing that could piss me off now is if they put out a JB update in late April/early May that takes away my $100 credit.

Sam, with the info you have and great intuition, do you think we're going to still get the JB update, or do you think they will scrap it? Also, in your opinion which would you rather have (unless you are going to buy unsubsidized, then I'm sure you don't care)?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm only ever going to buy unsubsidized again. However, I do believe we'll see JB. Just hang in there. I know for a fact it's being worked on, so, it's just a matter of when.

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm only ever going to buy unsubsidized again. However, I do believe we'll see JB. Just hang in there. I know for a fact it's being worked on, so, it's just a matter of when.

Is there a reason why you won't buy subsidized again, besides keeping unlimited data? Just curious to see if I should join the movement.

So, since we most likely will get JB one day or another, is there really anything we are going to gain? We don't have NFC, so that's out. So really all that JB gives us is it runs a little smoother, we get Google Now, and cooler notification options. Is there something I'm missing?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you care about root, get an unsubsidized, unlockable phone. Once you unlock the bootloader, you can flash root to it using a custom recovery. Subsidized phones are evil. The carrier expects a level of control over it since they are essentially paying for part of it. Learn to buy unsubsidized and take control over your device.

As for JB, it's JB.

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have never rooted before. I've always been afraid I'd break things. But, I've been doing some tinkering with my HP Touchpad, and it didn't seem too hard, so I might get into it. I've owned two Android Phones, the OG Droid and now the Bionic. I've never seen a need to root, except to get preinstalled apps off my phone. Are there any other benefits of rooting?

While I personally wouldn't go as far as saying subsidized is evil, I do think it's stupid the amount of control the carriers expect. I understand they want a certain amount just so it's easier to troubleshoot when people call up their customer service. It would be nice if we could wave our customer service rights in exchange for a no hassle way to unlock our phones.

As for JB, I'll just accept that once I get the update my phone will start making breakfast for me, and that'll be cool enough for me until Google I/O. I'm assuming the new Moto/Google phone will have all the unlockable options, and then I'll decide then what I'll do. I know this is off topic of this thread, but I have the ear of a few people smarter than I, and I'll take advantage of that. Also, trying to shake it up from the posts like "when is JB coming," "if I installed this way does it mean I'm screwed," "moto sucks," etc...

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Rooting is useful for many things. I use root a lot. Good for doing nandroids, app backups, root exploring, freezing/eliminating apps, and many other things. Really beyond the scope of this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2