DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

JFH8

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Former Bionic owner-wanted to note that Moto has updated their JB schedule, reconfirming JB for the Bionic. No timeline provided.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yup. There's absolutely NO information right now on when/if things are coming. I wish I had anything to give you guys but I don't. I just don't know. Build 19 is still being tested but who knows what that means.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I know its been said a million times, but these guys are nuts for treating their customers this way. I would rather have bad news than no news. We all know adapting this software to the various hardware configurations is not easy. I think we'd be a lot more tolerant if they told us what the problems were.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I know what the problem is. It's not an issue with the builds. It's an issue with VZW accepting them. Same crap we went through with ICS. That's why Moto's not able to give you a firm release date for ANY of the OMAP4 builds. If it were up to Moto we'd have had the builds pushed by now.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I know what the problem is. It's not an issue with the builds. It's an issue with VZW accepting them. Same crap we went through with ICS. That's why Moto's not able to give you a firm release date for ANY of the OMAP4 builds. If it were up to Moto we'd have had the builds pushed by now.

If you can say, what is Verizon's big deal with these builds? Not enough bloatware? :D But seriously, is it some sort of network issue or are they just "we'll do it because we can"?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ sadly.

Ya know, after some consideration and if this is really the reason, gotta give kudos to Moogle for pushing back against Big Red. I'm willing to wait longer if it means a chance at less bloat. It's pretty obvious Verizon doesn't listen to the near unanimous cry from its customers that don't want a bloat laden phone, so we could use a manufacturer or two in our corner for this.

Or am I reading too much into this?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You don't seem to get it. Moogle isn't able to push back. They don't like it, but, there's nothing they can do. Without VZW approval, the build ain't going out. So if VZW wants more crapware added, guess what, it's getting added.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
One can dream, though. Still, good to hear Moogle sides with us, even if it's a loosing argument. I'll keep my fantasies to myself then. :p

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
What's going to happen here eventually is that Google (and Apple) are going to start their own wireless companies, using spectrum that may or may not now be available and disintermediate the current carriers. Though this very area is where Apple has excelled: they don't take this from carriers, mainly because of their hardware / software integration model. They exercise virtual monopoly power and the carriers are forced to accede to Apple's wishes. Google can't do that because it is not the party selling the equipment to the carriers.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Agree. X Phone is one big step. Google Fiber is another. Spectrum purchases are yet another. I think they have come to realize that an open, diverse OS is great - unless its fractured beyond repair.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Over on Google+, Punit Soni has been participating in a discussion of the new Moto update page. He confirmed, in unequivocal terms, that the Bionic will get JB regardless of the support window expiring. He says he is not responsible for past mistakes but is committed to making things right. He got a little hot about some implications that the delays were really designed to push phone sales.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2