DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, who is still going to be on this phone by the time JB is released??? I plan on upgraded as soon as I am eligible in April!

For me, it'll depend on if I have a tablet or not. The lapdock and Webtop 3.0 on ICS really changed my mind about getting a Nexus 7.

brnscofrnld

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, who is still going to be on this phone by the time JB is released??? I plan on upgraded as soon as I am eligible in April!

I might be depending on how well the phone performs after the update. In order to keep my unlimited data I need to buy the phone outright...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Manofsteel927

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
They have alot of us in a corner with that having to buy a phone at full retail to keep unlimited data. It could conceivably cost my wife and I 1900 for two new phones and that is RIDICULOUS and not happening. My bionic is going to have to fall apart before I buy a new phone.

OverLordOfYou

May 31, 2010
Visit site
They have alot of us in a corner with that having to buy a phone at full retail to keep unlimited data. It could conceivably cost my wife and I 1900 for two new phones and that is RIDICULOUS and not happening. My bionic is going to have to fall apart before I buy a new phone.

Yours didnt fall apart already? lol j/k
Well I'm in a similar situation but thats because I'm on a company account and upgrading isn't an option for probably a good 8-10 months but I'll buy one if the opportunity arises and I have the pocket money. Or wait till one of my coworkers upgrade is up and use my seniority to take the early upgrade.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Now that ICS has restored a few of the features I had to give up when leaving WebOS for Gingerbread, the Bionic is perfectly adequate for my needs. Jelly Bean will only improve things. When we start getting beyond minor changes in screen resolution and the like to actual next-step technology (notably voice over LTE, which allows simplification of the internal radio infrastructure), I'll probably end up doing the same thing I'm doing with the Bionic: wait until I can buy a refurbished unit for $30, then keep it until well after the end of the contract.

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I just randomly checked for an update and got it!! In Southern CA.. No soak test.. No root.. 9:27pm PST CHECK!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I love how everyone was all "RAWR Give me ICS NOW!!!" while waiting for the OTA update. Dang thing wasn't even fully rolled out before people started wanting JB. I predict if it starts leaking/rolling out early because it got rushed, that these same people will start crying JB bad, and want ICS back even though they got just what they asked for. XD

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
For me, it'll depend on if I have a tablet or not. The lapdock and Webtop 3.0 on ICS really changed my mind about getting a Nexus 7.

Changed your mind how? Do you like the Webtop 3.0? I played with it last night and really didn't like it. It's pretty much a tablet now, except I can't use my finger to do things, I have to use a mouse, which is in my opinion not as good. What about the new webtop do you like? What programs do you use specifically on the webtop? Also, do you think they'll keep webtop when we go to JB? It really won't be on any other phones, except maybe the RAZR and maybe the latest ATRIX.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I love how everyone was all "RAWR Give me ICS NOW!!!" while waiting for the OTA update. Dang thing wasn't even fully rolled out before people started wanting JB. I predict if it starts leaking/rolling out early because it got rushed, that these same people will start crying JB bad, and want ICS back even though they got just what they asked for. XD

..the point of this thread was to confirm that Motorola does plan to support the Bionic through Jelly Bean. :)

All I want is Project Butter.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Changed your mind how? Do you like the Webtop 3.0? I played with it last night and really didn't like it. It's pretty much a tablet now, except I can't use my finger to do things, I have to use a mouse, which is in my opinion not as good. What about the new webtop do you like? What programs do you use specifically on the webtop? Also, do you think they'll keep webtop when we go to JB? It really won't be on any other phones, except maybe the RAZR and maybe the latest ATRIX.

I love it. Webtop 3.0 is smoother and performs better than the previous versions. With the previous version of Webtop, I was really only able to have one Firefox browser window open at a time. Open any more than that and performance would suffer greatly.

Apps like Gmail, Email, stock Browser, and Chrome all open up in tablet mode natively.

This is what Webtop should have been in the first place.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Those are Tegra devices, no?

And Punit Soni never said those folks got a 'raw deal'!! :D

The Photon and Atrix are Tegra devices.

But the point I was trying to make is that the Atrix and Photon were scheduled to get ICS. I believe leaks for at least the Atrix point to Motorola working on them. But all development stopped.

BTW, the Atrix 2 runs an OMAP, like the Bionic. :)

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I hear ya Ry...at least its in the works. If they don't make it before EOL, oh well. I'm still blown away how much better the phone is now. It's like they slapped a turbo or supercharger on an already quick car. Now, coming from a BB Storm 2, I might just be easily impressed... ;)

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
The Photon and Atrix are Tegra devices.

But the point I was trying to make is that the Atrix and Photon were scheduled to get ICS. I believe leaks for at least the Atrix point to Motorola working on them. But all development stopped.

BTW, the Atrix 2 runs an OMAP, like the Bionic. :)

And my point was that they ran into more hassles than they wanted to deal with on the Tegra processors, but did the job on the Atrix 2 because it had OMAP.