Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree829Likes

Default Re: DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Was it leaked?

The DROID RAZR HD and DROID RAZR MAXX HD are in the 4.1 Jelly Bean rollout now.
    My information leads me to believe that the RAZR/D4 will be AFTER the Bionic this time. Don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhizkids View Post
    Can't say I blame you there, Samuri. Creating a solution for people should not mean becoming their tech support when they can't read / follow directions. Your efforts are appreciated beyond anything anyone can do to thank you.
    Yea, I don't mind helping people. I really don't, but, when it's the same repetitive "I know you're going to say I didn't read but _I READ IT ALL_ and your program DOESN'T WORK" nonsense to find out they didn't bother installing half the product cause they "assumed they didn't need it" even though it says "this will not work if you don't install everything" it gets really old. REALLY quick.

Samsung S4 Google Play Edition

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

Man i could really go for a slice of key lime pie right now

sent from my icy bionic
    My Incredible is no longer incredible... Hellooooooo Bionic!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
    My information leads me to believe that the RAZR/D4 will be AFTER the Bionic this time. Don't ask.
    Sounds like a great way to "make things right".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Sounds like a great way to "make things right".

Sadly that's not quite the case. The Bionic ICS update is further along than the RAZR and D4 updates. There's a lot more work to be done for those phones. So, it's not a matter of them making things right more than they already did.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
    Sadly that's not quite the case. The Bionic ICS update is further along than the RAZR and D4 updates. There's a lot more work to be done for those phones. So, it's not a matter of them making things right more than they already did.
    Imagine if we'd gotten .247 rather than .246...

Quote Originally Posted by gwhizkids View Post
    Imagine if we'd gotten .247 rather than .246...
    Perhaps your comment was tongue in cheek or you're unaware that .247 was a virtual duplicate of .246 at a time when Moto was holding VZW's nutz over the fire to end the update delays. Moto won and the process moved on.

The only problem was that Sam was required to jump through hoops to get those who moved to .247 back on the OTA path and to spend a whole lot of time convincing folks that the HoB .246 was identical to the OTA .246.

Good times, eh, Sam?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in Bristol View Post
    Perhaps your comment was tongue in cheek or you're unaware that .247 was a virtual duplicate of .246 at a time when Moto was holding VZW's nutz over the fire to end the update delays. Moto won and the process moved on.

The only problem was that Sam was required to jump through hoops to get those who moved to .247 back on the OTA path and to spend a whole lot of time convincing folks that the HoB .246 was identical to the OTA .246.

Good times, eh, Sam?!
    Oh yea, thrilling. cough cough. And don't forget convincing those who were on 247 that they should revert to 246. SO many disagreements on that one. Ah well. As I said, HoB doesn't require anything to start supporting JB leaks as soon as they come. Just make sure to check the security. Although so far I've not seen any leaks that are using new security for JB so that's good. We'll find out once we get our engineering build.

ROM
    .246 ICS

Sam,

What have you seen that's different on the D4 ICS build vs. the Bionic? My wife just upgraded to a D4, new model with ICS already installed.

Thanks in advance

Numerous bug fixes. The D4 got their build quite a bit before ours. Same with the RAZR. For some reason VZW felt it necessary to pick on the Bionic for "build quality". We had 11 builds before VZW accepted one. 4 months of development time gave Moto a chance to fix pretty much all the major bugs. D4 and RAZR had upgrade bugs going from GB to ICS. Their builds don't include a patch that will allow an easy upgrade to JB, either. It was rumored they'd get an updated ICS build before JB was rolled out, but, Moto has since abandoned that plan and are creating a special JB build to upgrade what they have. That's not necessary for the Bionic, thank God. That's why we'll be getting it sooner than they will.

Thanked by 2:

ROM
    .246 ICS

Thanks a bunch Sam, much appreciated!

Well, it was semi-tongue-in-cheek: I was under the impression that .247 - had it been deployed- would have eased the path to get the Bionic to JB and that the fact that .246 was used instead was a serious setback (yesterday's news, I know, now that we have a "commitment" to get JB on our devices).

Not correct. 246 contains the same code that 247 does.

Really? So what was with all the angst on the other forum about VZW deploying 246 and 247? Much ado about nothing? (I'm not being cute here; I really am curious).

It was thought that 246 didn't include the patch that we knew was in 247. However, we later found out that the builds are identical except for the build number. It was a ploy against VZW being ridiculously stupid with our update. They kept rejecting build after build due to "build quality". Which is hilarious given how poor the RAZR and D4 ICS builds are and those got accepted. In any case, 247 was nothing more than a contingency plan against VZW rejecting another build.

! Ah! That was what it was. Great, that's good to know.

On its face, not good news. Some products already identified for Q1 2013 update by Motorola. Bionic is not one of them. I hope Samurai can reassure us...

Nothing to panic about. RAZR and D4 are also not on the list. RAZR M and RAZR HD are still slated "before 2013". And both of those are done. So, don't get too upset just yet. I'm still hopeful we'll see a leak before the end of the month or very early January.

gwhizkids likes this.

ROM
    .246 ICS

Sam,

I haven't had the opportunity to mess with a jelly bean powered phone, but am I correct that the jump from ICS to JB isn't quite as extensive as it was from gingerbread to ICS? After all, it only took Moto and VZW 13 months from launch day to bring us ICS.
    Obviously it's an important upgrade we are all looking forward to, but it seems it was much more work to get the hardware compatible with ICS and the JB transition should be easier?

That's correct. GB was 2.3.x. ICS is 4.0.x. JB is 4.1.x and now 4.2.x. We'll be getting 4.1.2. It's a good upgrade, and we should be excited for it, but, it's not a giant under the covers framework rewrite like ICS was. Also, remember that Moto was incredibly disfunctional during most of the ICS debacle. Google has looked to make things right, and we're starting to see the fruits of that transition. Consider that RAZR M and RAZR HD JB updates were promised before the end of the year. USUALLY when Moto said that in the past, we could count the minutes until the deadline arrived before we saw the update....if we were lucky. Here the updates were finished by the end of November and actually rolled out last week. I mean, that's impressive. Now they'll focus their attention on the OMAP JB upgrades. Another thing that should make life SO much easier for us...there's no webtop to worry about. They've already done the blur update for JB. Webtop is dead and won't get any updates over what we already have. So the only thing they have to do to get us JB is the kernel update for JB and any specific hardware drivers like the camera and radios. You can see how all this plays together to bring us a MUCH speedier upgrade process. IMO, Google is doing the right things and headed in a MUCH better direction.

Thanked by 3:
    miller3078 and gwhizkids like this.

ROM
    .246 ICS

Thanks as always for the detailed answer Sam, much appreciated.

Samurai

Does that mean jb won't have weptop in it. Might have to stay on ics if that's the case.

No, that's not what I was saying. I'm saying that webtop hasn't been touched since the very early ICS builds because they killed it off. I don't THINK they'll remove it, although they could. I just meant that it's not something they will touch. What I think is that if it works as well as it does in JB as it does in ICS, they'll leave it. If something breaks, they'll leave it broken or remove it depending on how bad it is. I can't really imagine JB breaking webtop, so, I think it'll be left in as is. However, what's good is that they don't have to update it. That means they can get the update out quicker.

Samurai,

Thanks for the clarification... hoping it remains in jb.

I STILL don't have my OTA update!

I'm using Samuri's last ICS build and my phone is rooted. Is that why?

Yes. When you got off the OEM path, you lost the OTA update ability.
    Ry likes this.
Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast