DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, it was semi-tongue-in-cheek: I was under the impression that .247 - had it been deployed- would have eased the path to get the Bionic to JB and that the fact that .246 was used instead was a serious setback (yesterday's news, I know, now that we have a "commitment" to get JB on our devices).

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Really? So what was with all the angst on the other forum about VZW deploying 246 and 247? Much ado about nothing? (I'm not being cute here; I really am curious).

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It was thought that 246 didn't include the patch that we knew was in 247. However, we later found out that the builds are identical except for the build number. It was a ploy against VZW being ridiculously stupid with our update. They kept rejecting build after build due to "build quality". Which is hilarious given how poor the RAZR and D4 ICS builds are and those got accepted. In any case, 247 was nothing more than a contingency plan against VZW rejecting another build.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Nothing to panic about. RAZR and D4 are also not on the list. RAZR M and RAZR HD are still slated "before 2013". And both of those are done. So, don't get too upset just yet. I'm still hopeful we'll see a leak before the end of the month or very early January.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Sam,

I haven't had the opportunity to mess with a jelly bean powered phone, but am I correct that the jump from ICS to JB isn't quite as extensive as it was from gingerbread to ICS? After all, it only took Moto and VZW 13 months from launch day to bring us ICS. ;)
Obviously it's an important upgrade we are all looking forward to, but it seems it was much more work to get the hardware compatible with ICS and the JB transition should be easier?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That's correct. GB was 2.3.x. ICS is 4.0.x. JB is 4.1.x and now 4.2.x. We'll be getting 4.1.2. It's a good upgrade, and we should be excited for it, but, it's not a giant under the covers framework rewrite like ICS was. Also, remember that Moto was incredibly disfunctional during most of the ICS debacle. Google has looked to make things right, and we're starting to see the fruits of that transition. Consider that RAZR M and RAZR HD JB updates were promised before the end of the year. USUALLY when Moto said that in the past, we could count the minutes until the deadline arrived before we saw the update....if we were lucky. Here the updates were finished by the end of November and actually rolled out last week. I mean, that's impressive. Now they'll focus their attention on the OMAP JB upgrades. Another thing that should make life SO much easier for us...there's no webtop to worry about. They've already done the blur update for JB. Webtop is dead and won't get any updates over what we already have. So the only thing they have to do to get us JB is the kernel update for JB and any specific hardware drivers like the camera and radios. You can see how all this plays together to bring us a MUCH speedier upgrade process. IMO, Google is doing the right things and headed in a MUCH better direction.

rswain64

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Samurai

Does that mean jb won't have weptop in it. Might have to stay on ics if that's the case.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No, that's not what I was saying. I'm saying that webtop hasn't been touched since the very early ICS builds because they killed it off. I don't THINK they'll remove it, although they could. I just meant that it's not something they will touch. What I think is that if it works as well as it does in JB as it does in ICS, they'll leave it. If something breaks, they'll leave it broken or remove it depending on how bad it is. I can't really imagine JB breaking webtop, so, I think it'll be left in as is. However, what's good is that they don't have to update it. That means they can get the update out quicker.

rswain64

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Samurai,

Thanks for the clarification... hoping it remains in jb.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes. When you got off the OEM path, you lost the OTA update ability.
Actually, I believe Samuri's last ICS build is identical to the OTA. One of the Bionics in the house picked up the OTA with no issues, the other had to go the HoB route, but both now show exactly the same version (4.0.4, 6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US). There is no need to pick up a new OTA in order to be current on ICS, and KWP1911 should be good to go when the next OTA comes along.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
True, once on one of the official builds like .246, you are on the OTA path and are good to go. But kwp1911 said he wasn't getting the OTA, and I figured he was on a non-official build like .247 or .232 and would need to manually install .246.

KWP1911

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
True, once on one of the official builds like .246, you are on the OTA path and are good to go. But kwp1911 said he wasn't getting the OTA, and I figured he was on a non-official build like .247 or .232 and would need to manually install .246.
It's a moot point now. Just upgraded to the Galaxy S III. ;)

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i seen on one of the motorolas web pages. the bionic and a few other devices are scheduled for end of 2012.

i was looking around last night in hopes of having jb somewhere to load on my phone. since i had to wipe and reload.

so we gots 2 weeks left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos