DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
We will be upgraded to JB. It is official from Motorola's website. Go to this link, choose your country then carrier and then Bionic. You'll see for yourself that they say it WILL be upgraded to JB.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
We will be upgraded to JB. It is official from Motorola's website. Go to this link, choose your country then carrier and then Bionic. You'll see for yourself that they say it WILL be upgraded to JB.

None of us doubt that, especially with Google at the helm. We'd just like to get these updates before we're already 2-3 OS versions behind!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So now I'm curious: what exactly do they need to test? Presumably, the builds submitted by Moto actually run on the phone (satisfactorily, one would think). So is it how the phone interacts with VZW's network? Is it something else? They don't really reject builds because VZVideo or the other crapware is not bundled, do they?

Ok so here's how it works to my understanding. Moto creates an engineering build. In this case they used one engineering build for all 3 omap4 phones. From the engineering build they create the release builds. These are what moto will give to vzw for approval. But before they do that, they run each build through an automated test suite. Don't ask me what the tests are because I honestly don't know. What I do know is the process of moving a build through the automated test suite takes anywhere from a week to usually 2 weeks. Once the build passes the test suite it's given to vzw for a yey or nay decision which also takes about 2 weeks. After that if it's accepted then the soak test can begin. But yes, vzw can deny the build for any reason. I'm told one of the jb builds was denied because they didn't like the font. No I'm not kidding. When the build is rejected vzw stops looking at it. Meaning there could have been more things they didn't like that need to be fixed but it won't get found until the next round of acceptance testing. Starting to see why this takes so bloody long now? And that moto is not really to blame. They do as much as they can to ensure a build's success.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

I meant after jb we won't be getting more update. That's what i was quoting. So, I'm hoping there aren't any bugs in it, which there shouldn't be, with all the extensive testing...

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm told one of the jb builds was denied because they didn't like the font. No I'm not kidding. When the build is rejected vzw stops looking at it. Meaning there could have been more things they didn't like that need to be fixed but it won't get found until the next round of acceptance testing.

Does Verizon run the government too?

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok so here's how it works to my understanding. Moto creates an engineering build. In this case they used one engineering build for all 3 omap4 phones. From the engineering build they create the release builds. These are what moto will give to vzw for approval. But before they do that, they run each build through an automated test suite. Don't ask me what the tests are because I honestly don't know. What I do know is the process of moving a build through the automated test suite takes anywhere from a week to usually 2 weeks. Once the build passes the test suite it's given to vzw for a yey or nay decision which also takes about 2 weeks. After that if it's accepted then the soak test can begin. But yes, vzw can deny the build for any reason. I'm told one of the jb builds was denied because they didn't like the font. No I'm not kidding. When the build is rejected vzw stops looking at it. Meaning there could have been more things they didn't like that need to be fixed but it won't get found until the next round of acceptance testing. Starting to see why this takes so bloody long now? And that moto is not really to blame. They do as much as they can to ensure a build's success.

Boy, I'll bet the folks at VZW have side jobs working at the DMV and the utility company bill pay windows. Oh, and the IRS...

Asinine...the font?

Dr Steevil

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Boy, I'll bet the folks at VZW have side jobs working at the DMV and the utility company bill pay windows. Oh, and the IRS...

Asinine...the font?

And building inspection departments. I used to work as a plumber and it used to frustrate me to no end to fail multiple inspections for different items each time and have to pay a reinspection fee. I never could figure out why they couldn't just do the whole inspection so I could make all the corrections and we could all move on. But I guess that's how they make their money for the city. And to think there are those out there who feel we need more government regulation and bureaucracy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea, the beuracracy is absolutely insane. But that's how they run their approval process. And why updates are so slow. Note that all mfg's have to go through the same approval process, not just Moto. This would be why the GNex is currently what, 3, 4 versions behind. VZW needs to get their head out of their......

johnejo

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know what sites are good for getting the best prices on phones (smart phones) without it messing up our unlimited data contracts with VZW? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Amazon is NOT one of them.

Zach Gaitten

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
He'll, if there was a solid jb version for the rooted bionic I would just use that. I was rooted and had Cm but the camera and video is so bad it's not even worth having...

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
He'll, if there was a solid jb version for the rooted bionic I would just use that. I was rooted and had Cm but the camera and video is so bad it's not even worth having...

I'm seriously thinking of jumping ship. My options are limited (company phone), but thinking of RAZR M. Would love to ditch VZW altogether, but not an option. Enough of the drama, already....

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously thinking of jumping ship. My options are limited (company phone), but thinking of RAZR M. Would love to ditch VZW altogether, but not an option. Enough of the drama, already....

It'd be nice to have the network of Verizon without the drama.

debonu

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Hashcode's CM10.1 builds are pretty damn solid! I've been running them since his second build or so, and the only issues are no stock camera and bluetooth is wonky. Ohh and no speaker phone at the moment. Those aren't deal breakers for me though so I'm happy!

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
that's why i quit using roms.

if my phone can't function 100 % with the most needed options. why bother.

seems like the most common problems are camera, internet. and bluetooth. with an occasional glitch somewehre else.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of blur based ROMs that have no issues.

sent from my icy Bionic occasionally with a side of jellybeans