Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: battery life.....

Get an extended battery!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails battery life.....-uploadfromtaptalk1351043804184.jpg  
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

Quote Originally Posted by JesusG90 View Post
    Thanks.. I will try that.. You disable by going where it would say "uninstall" through MANAGE APPS?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Yes that is correct. It'll be under the ALL tab. There are three listings. You can only disable the first one. I guess the other two only run if the main app is running anyway.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by TOPshogun View Post
    Mine seems to be doing almost the same as GB, i have moto extended battery.

Do you have the 2760mah battery? How is it? No problems? Easy to calibrate?

Quote Originally Posted by JesusG90 View Post
    Do you have the 2760mah battery? How is it? No problems? Easy to calibrate?

Ya thats the one, i like it. On stock battery id get to maybe 5pm but on the extended battery it gets me through the day with some juice left. And i have no idea what calibrating means haha.

Quote Originally Posted by TOPshogun View Post
    Ya thats the one, i like it. On stock battery id get to maybe 5pm but on the extended battery it gets me through the day with some juice left. And i have no idea what calibrating means haha.

Ohh haha thanks.. I heard that you have to get an app to calibrate or something.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I use SWITCHIT and run 3G to conserve battery. It still sucks even with light use. GB gave me better battery life.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Tab via Tapatalk2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

4 hours off charger screen on for 37 minutes down to 60%. And I do have the moto extended battery this is riduculous

Quote Originally Posted by Manofsteel927 View Post
    4 hours off charger screen on for 37 minutes down to 60%. And I do have the moto extended battery this is riduculous
    I'm at 3 hours off charger, screen on for 39 mins, I have used several apps like Reddit, tapatalk and the play store and had an ~8 min phone call, and I'm at 86%. Most of it on 3g.

It seems as if my battery life has gotten better.. Im back at the usual.. 2hrs screen time out of 13.3 hrs and I'm at 50%.. No extended battery.

Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Wow verizon owes me a new phone the. Because if I use my phone.for an hour straight I'd be around 50%

Here are the results of my first full extended battery cycle after the cache wipe. Probably add another 10 minutes to the total because it seemed like it took a very long time for the final 1% to deplete and I spent that time in the Kindle app. I got almost 3.75 hours of display time out of this charge. The sharp drop at 40% was because I accidentally turned off the phone.

battery life.....-screenshot_2012-10-24-14-32-18.png

But what really stands out on me is the "mobile network signal" bar. Look at all the yellow in it (the gaps were Airplane Mode). As I said earlier, I know where those locations were, and my Bionic on GB never had to struggle that hard for a signal. Additionally, the longest sections of yellow were cell signal only--4G was turned OFF! It's the cell radio that was struggling. Of course, that burns up more power. When you throw the 4G radio into the mix and force BOTH radios to struggle, yeah...I can start to see why the battery life sucks!!

I'm hoping this issue resolves itself after a few cycles. If not, I'll check to see if the reduced reception is a constant occurrence and will e-mail the screenshots (loving that feature BTW!!) to Motorola in the hopes that it will help them develop a software patch.

I have same issue with battery, and don't see any advantage with ICS. I have an extended Moto battery that was fine before update and now will deplete in an hour even with the charger plugged in.
    Is there a way to go back to GB? My phone worked fine w GB and now i wish I had never updated to ICS.

ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

I've noticed that ICS has a lot more stuff running at any given time than GB did. Not just the recently-used / multitasking feature, but services. I periodically use to clear things out; under GB I'd have maybe 50 MB of stuff running, while under ICS I routinely see numbers over 200 MB. I'm not having any major battery problems (the car dock had the phone mostly charged when I got home nearly 6 hours ago, home is a poor reception area for Verizon, and I'm still above 50% of battery life), but I anticipate that battery life will get even better as I do a bit of pruning of some of those processes that are sucking power without necessarily providing a high degree of benefit to me.
    Thanked by:
    shieldsdb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WebOS Refugee View Post
    I've noticed that ICS has a lot more stuff running at any given time than GB did. Not just the recently-used / multitasking feature, but services. I periodically use to clear things out; under GB I'd have maybe 50 MB of stuff running, while under ICS I routinely see numbers over 200 MB. I'm not having any major battery problems (the car dock had the phone mostly charged when I got home nearly 6 hours ago, home is a poor reception area for Verizon, and I'm still above 50% of battery life), but I anticipate that battery life will get even better as I do a bit of pruning of some of those processes that are sucking power without necessarily providing a high degree of benefit to me.
    Can you be more specific on what programs and processes are running on ICS that weren't on GB?

how does one calibrat the extended battery?

ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

Quote Originally Posted by SithLord0498 View Post
    Can you be more specific on what programs and processes are running on ICS that weren't on GB?
    No, sorry, just the amount of RAM in use. As of right now, for example, Fast Reboot reports freeing 173 MB of RAM.

I live in a area where the 4G LTE signal is poor, and when it is one bar at work, my phone was as warm as a hand warmer on steriods. Hooking it to the charger, it was staying at 20% charge, eating the power as fast as the charger tried to recharge! Even after 4 hours on the charger. By FORCING 3G and locking out 4G LTE, shutting off WiFi, bluetooth, and clearing the cache I now get battery lifetimes pretty much as good as I had before ICS update. You can not force 3G and locking out Verizon's 4G LTE by default, as it is grey'ed out. You have to work around their forcing LTE only if signal is available. Verizon needs to fix this. The WiFi also ate the battery fast, even though I sit 20 feet from an industrial high power wireless node with awesome signal strength, it was also heating the phone up. Verzion 4G LTE was showing up at -105dBm and 3 bars (which is quite bogus to show three bars! maybe a Verzion hack to make their network "look better") where 3G shows up at -46 dBm (every 3 dBm is twice the signal strength, fyi). The Strong Man needs to slap down Verizon hardcore over this.

By better on the battery, means it looks like I will easily get two days out of the standard stock battery that is a year old, like I did before the update.

Quote Originally Posted by WebOS Refugee View Post
    No, sorry, just the amount of RAM in use. As of right now, for example, Fast Reboot reports freeing 173 MB of RAM.
    Wow, this Fast Boot thing is fantastic! I had 150K free, ran Fast Boot and now have 397K free. I'm still monitoring the power issue.
    battery life.....-screenshot_2012-10-25-10-47-43.pngbattery life.....-screenshot_2012-10-25-10-51-20.pngbattery life.....-screenshot_2012-10-25-10-59-56.png

Quote Originally Posted by kinglizard46 View Post
    how does one calibrat the extended battery?
    Go to FoxKat's post #6 here:

He's very good on battery questions. Basiclly, calibration teaches your phone where the low and 100% points are for your battery.

48 hours since ICS upate...my battery life has been terrible with OEM Motorola Extended Batteries . I have 2 batteries and a charging dock that I use so I always have a battery charged and just swap out every morning before work..I am usually at 30% left after a 24 hours period when I change in the mornings when I was on GB.Since ICS about 9 hours is all I can get so far.FDR 2 days before the update and FDR after installing the update....less apps running now than when I was on GB. I have noticed Android OS is using over 50% of my battery power.I will give it a few more days and see what happens.Me using 2 different batteries rules out a battery problem.
    btw,3G only area.

Quote Originally Posted by pokernut64 View Post
    48 hours since ICS upate...my battery life has been terrible with OEM Motorola Extended Batteries . I have 2 batteries and a charging dock that I use so I always have a battery charged and just swap out every morning before work..I am usually at 30% left after a 24 hours period when I change in the mornings when I was on GB.Since ICS about 9 hours is all I can get so far.FDR 2 days before the update and FDR after installing the update....less apps running now than when I was on GB. I have noticed Android OS is using over 50% of my battery power.I will give it a few more days and see what happens.Me using 2 different batteries rules out a battery problem.
    btw,3G only area.
    Yesterday, I did an experiment. During my one hour drive to work, there is a 3G only area for about 45 minutes of my drive, and I'd turned on LTE (4G), and the phone ran very warm, and still sucked the battery down extremely fast, it discharged the phone 40% in just one hour! However, on my drive from work on the same roads, I had forced 3G (CDMA auto PRL) mode only (shut off 4G), and my phone didn't even feel warm at all, but cool. Guess what? The battery drain was almost not noticeable (under 5% for that hour).

Here are the results from the 2nd (maybe 3rd?) power cycle after wiping my cache.

battery life.....-bionicstats.jpg

This is definitely a return to form for my Bionic! 57 hours, and the phone was still at 10% power!

To get a clearer picture, I tend to keep it on Airplane Mode from 5-7 in the morning (the time I'm sleeping between my newspaper delivery job and when I wake up for my day job) and then again from 8:30a - 12p because the classroom I work in has walls that significantly muffles cellular and wi-fi signals. 4G is kept turned off unless I actively need it or I'm out shopping and *might* need it. When at home, I keep it connected to my home wi-fi with the phone set to stay connected even when the screen is powered down. 45 minutes of voice calls is actually above the usual average for me in a power cycle, and probably half of that was via Bluetooth through my car's sound system (phone was kept in my pocket, NOT on the charger). These changes are all done manually as I have disabled Smart Actions.

My current cycle, though, burned through battery life much faster and was down to roughly 25-30% after only 16-18 hours, and the only significant difference in my usage was...yep, using the 4G more! I streamed music over 4G via TuneIN radio for about 30 minutes, and it knocked out almost 10% of my battery. On Gingerbread, it would take about 1.5 hours to use up the same battery life.

So after letting ICS soak in and keeping tabs on my phone's stats, I can confidently say that, at least for my Bionic, the ICS update's biggest weakness is that it burns up more battery power than GB when it comes to being on the 4G LTE network.

Hopefully, that is an area where future phones will fare better.

I have been having trouble with my ext battery on ics as well. Usually charging 2-3x daily. I found out uninstalling Dolphin browser was a huge fix. I made it thru 13 hrs and only had 20% battery loss. I also disabled data while on wifi. Huge improvement in one day. Work in NYC so I want to try and see if the same holds true on 3G/4G all day vs wifi.

im glad to see im not the only person experiencing horrible battery loss.

I was running ICS leak .2233 before and it was a LOT better then the OTA. i run 3G most of the day and the battery barely lasts a few hours. worst part is it takes a giant leap

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

What app would you guys suggest for 3g/4g toggling?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast