Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Default Re: battery life.....

I'm chasing a problem on Stock-Rooted .246, on a stock battery. I don't charge at night, rather I charge in my office during the day. So my phone sits off the charger during the night so I get a good idea of battery drain in standby. Since loading .246 OTA, with data/sync/4g on sitting overnight I was seeing a 12% drop in a 7 hour overnight period, with GSam Battery Monitor showing most of the drain going to Kernal activity. Not bad I guess, but seems way high to me. In comparison my previous phone (Dinc2) would only drop about 4% overnight with data/sync on.

So in an attempt to improve it and get her to sleep, I turned off Mobile Data and Background sync, leaving just the cell radio on. It's my only phone so I'd like to at least be able to receive an emergency phone call in the middle of the night, god forbid. In the same 7 hour period, with mobile data/sync off, I saw an 18% drop, GSam saying 49% of that went to Kernal activity. So, no mobile data/sync, yet the Kernel is still that active, with more drain??? What in the world is the kernel doing, it should be in a deep sleep. Any insight?

One thng that really helped me with battery life and more importantly to save RAM was to set backgound processes to a maximum of four and to set it to kill all activities upon exit. There are in the developer options in settings. You might try that. Phone seems to run smoother, RAM never drops below 200 MB , and battery is better.

Can some take a look at my screenshot here. Why is wifi taking up any battery power? It has not been on at all today. I have been noticing this a lot lately. Is it running in the background? Or is my wifi widget causing this? Whatever the cause my battery life is horrific with the standard battery. Thanks for your help/advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails battery life.....-uploadfromtaptalk1353094561733.jpg  

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Take a look at your wifi settings:

Menu>SystemSettings>Wifi>Menu Button>Advanced. Make sure "Notify Me" is unchecked. Otherwise, Ics turns on the wifi every once in a while to see if there is any wifi out there to snag and if it finds something it will let you know. If not, you never hear from it....but it uses some power in the scan.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danlayman View Post
    One thng that really helped me with battery life and more importantly to save RAM was to set backgound processes to a maximum of four and to set it to kill all activities upon exit. There are in the developer options in settings. You might try that. Phone seems to run smoother, RAM never drops below 200 MB , and battery is better.
    Thanks, Just set the background process limit, we'll see what that does. I didn't check the "Don't keep activities" though, as I do like to multitask from time to time.

Digging further into my GSam stats, I'm seeing a crazy amount of wakelocks from the mediaserver....anyone find a solution for that?

My battery life went to hell after the ICS update! I mean BAD...I thought it was barely acceptable before the update, but now , its unbearable..... sometimes my OS uses up as much as my display! Now I wish I would have got the Razor Maxx.....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Erievon View Post
    Take a look at your wifi settings:

Menu>SystemSettings>Wifi>Menu Button>Advanced. Make sure "Notify Me" is unchecked. Otherwise, Ics turns on the wifi every once in a while to see if there is any wifi out there to snag and if it finds something it will let you know. If not, you never hear from it....but it uses some power in the scan.
    Thanks for the reply but it was already unchecked. The 2 grayed out boxes beneath that item were checked, however. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I highly recommend the "Data Enabler" widget. I put it on my home screen for quick access and turn data off at night or when listening to music - basically whenever I don need it and I can go days without a charge now. For example, I'll be at 100% turn off data, go to bed and still be at 100% in the morning. Also can go all day at work listening to music with data off and drop to 80%. I don't need data on all the time so this has been a life saver especially since 4g kills battery like there's no tomorrow.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123