Bionic Slow After ICS Update

GoBucks2372

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, quick question!

Anyone else experiencing their Bionic laggy / slow after the update?

Any idea what might be causing this?

I've restarted, left the battery out overnight, everything I can think of.

Never was like this on Gingerbread. Example: I hit the menu button and it pauses for about two or three seconds before it brings up a menu.

Also just real choppy on performance.

I expected the phone to be faster, if anything. Able to use the dual processors, better OS, etc. Thoughts?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
nope, mine is running at normal speed. however, I can't tolerate the whine in the headphone output, so verizon is sending me a Razr Maxx. :)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
yep. she offered the Maxx without "coercion", unlike it months past when I complained about 4G data issues and practically begged for a Maxx and was turned down by supervisors and the so-called retentions dept, which I believe is fake. when u ask for retentions, they just give you the next available rep, as far as I can tell.

GoBucks2372

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
nope, mine is running at normal speed. however, I can't tolerate the whine in the headphone output, so verizon is sending me a Razr Maxx. :)

You just called and complained?

I don't get any "whining", so I guess I lucked out there. However, I'm getting the thing where you have to turn the headphone connector a few times to hear out of the right AND left of speakers. That was before ICS too, though.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
However, I'm getting the thing where you have to turn the headphone connector a few times to hear out of the right AND left of speakers. That was before ICS too, though.

Dig down a bit in the forums and you'll see some threads about this. More than likely you have a little pocket lint in the jack. It doesn't take much, but the Bionic seems to be prone to this.

lemonoid

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I finally let it update a few hours ago. I haven't even done a reboot and its running fine to me. The only thing so far is battery life. Not so great. I would like to point out how well face unlock works though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

pmeleedy

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here - very very slooooooooow. Someone here mentioned clearing the system cache. However, pressing the power/volume up / volume down buttons does not give me a menu for clearing cache.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
However, pressing the power/volume up / volume down buttons does not give me a menu for clearing cache.

First, power off the phone. Press and hold the volume up/down buttons, and the power button. It will boot up a menu screen. Press volume down to highlight Recovery, then press volume up to select it. When the Android bot shows up on its back with its chest open, press the volume up/down buttons again to bring up another menu. Use volume down to highlight the wipe cache option, but this time press the power button to select it. Can also factory reset from this menu to if need be.

PegasusAmor

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. My phone just finished updating and it is ridiculously slow! I tried to open up the settings for my text message to redo my sound notification and the phone froxe and restarted. Just about anytime I attempt to open up any application there's at least a 3 second delay. So far I'm not a fan of this new OS. I don't like the fancy new layout at the expense of performance!

jpmorris7777

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
mine was so slow, i had no choice but to factory reset. After the reset, like a brand new phone. My battery is definitely lasting longer after the reset with ics

dononelson

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Try this: System Settings->Developer Options->Transition Animation Scale: set to .5 or off. Same with Window animation scale. Also, check the box next to Force GPU Rendering. These three little things made my phone totally usable again!

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Try this: System Settings->Developer Options->Transition Animation Scale: set to .5 or off. Same with Window animation scale. Also, check the box next to Force GPU Rendering. These three little things made my phone totally usable again!

I don't know what this does, but it made my Bionic even faster. It wasn't slow before, but this made a noticeable difference.

Exactly what are these changes? Do they affect battery life?

Thanks.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Nice tips. :)

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what this does, but it made my Bionic even faster. It wasn't slow before, but this made a noticeable difference.

Exactly what are these changes? Do they affect battery life?

Thanks.

the defaults are Force GPU Rendering disabled/unchecked and both Transition animation scale and Window animation scale are each set to 1x..

If you want to see what each does, move one to 10x and the other at 1x and mess around, then switch them, one at 1x and 10x..

Window animation < 1x disables CRT

If you like CRT, try Window animation at 1x and Transition animation at 0