No sounds for notifications or alarms...

Twindaddy

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen this in other threads, so I'm wondering if my issue is unique.

The notifications will pop up like they're supposed to, but with no sound. When I go to settings to adjust the volume, it freezes and FC's. Any ideas?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the volume controls aren't right too. Alarm Clock Xtreme used to work fine on GB, but now seems tied to the ringer volume and doesn't sound if phone on silent and sometimes even with all volumes at max. I thought it was an app issue, but now some of my games won't play media sound even with volumes up. I have to go to the home screen and press volume up until I hear the "test beep" sound for ringer volume. Even if ringer is already max, it takes a few tries before I hear the beep. Once I do, I can hear the games again.

Doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be an issue to me. Especially the alarm.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you should be doing a factory reset to fix those force close issues. Something isn't right.

brnscofrnld

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the volume controls aren't right too. Alarm Clock Xtreme used to work fine on GB, but now seems tied to the ringer volume and doesn't sound if phone on silent and sometimes even with all volumes at max. I thought it was an app issue, but now some of my games won't play media sound even with volumes up. I have to go to the home screen and press volume up until I hear the "test beep" sound for ringer volume. Even if ringer is already max, it takes a few tries before I hear the beep. Once I do, I can hear the games again.

Doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be an issue to me. Especially the alarm.

I did factory reset my phone and went through the hassle of reinstalling a lot of apps that I used and left a good amount off that I didn't use.

I did reinstall alarm clock extreme and it seems to work without any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

brnscofrnld

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, back to point out something that has happened the last two nights. A little right before bed I check my alarm to make sure it's set and for some reason I decided to check sounds after seeing an email pop up in notification bar that I have a sound set to trigger when it comes in. Nothing played. Tried playing music with multi apps. Nothing. Checked my volume settings. All looked normal. Rebooted my phone and the sound came back...

About 30 minutes before this, I was playing music through a Bluetooth connected speaker. Not sure if that is some kind of coincidence that maybe the hand off of sounds back to the speaker on the phone or something isn't quite right.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

brnscofrnld

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Back again... This morning the alarm woke me up because of the screen light going on and no sound.

So I really think this has to do with Bluetooth. I disabled my Bluetooth to try and conserve as much battery as I could while the power went out during the storm and had not turned it back on. After I got up and started to nose around the setting a bit and play some music with no sound, i turned my Bluetooth back on, and sounds came back. The Bluetooth did not connect to anything, but just turned it on.

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Back again... This morning the alarm woke me up because of the screen light going on and no sound.

So I really think this has to do with Bluetooth. I disabled my Bluetooth to try and conserve as much battery as I could while the power went out during the storm and had not turned it back on. After I got up and started to nose around the setting a bit and play some music with no sound, i turned my Bluetooth back on, and sounds came back. The Bluetooth did not connect to anything, but just turned it on.

This has happened to me a couple times as well, but I have not used bluetooth since the ICS update. I do, however, plug/unplug headphones/speakers a few times a day. I had a thought this morning that next time it happens to check in the sounds menu to see if maybe it still showed as being wired connected... but it hasn't happened again since I thought about that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

woodslink

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
An app called SoundAbout may help with that issue, but I am finding more people that have this issue with Bionics. The use Bluetooth media and then disconnect the Bluetooth device and the audio will not revert back to the built in speaker.

Last edited:

jabene

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a simular issue. No sound on either email or text messages when screensave goes to sleep. When I come back in it seems like 4G is off and comes back in in a few seconds.
I tried cache clear. Fearful of Fact reboot

sham5576

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi there... I'm new here. Just got my first android phone : S advance. Just wanna ask you guys, why my phone didn't make any sound in the morning (alarm/notification) ? The time was set okay..but when I edit to another time it sounds as usual. Actually I was not asleep when I detected it did ring (I woke up earlier than the alarm time set in order to make sure it works as set up). Will it be sleep automatically when idle for a long time? Do you have any idea to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
There is an option called Blocking Mode under settings. Go through it and it will all make sense. It is to stop unwanted calls waking you up at 3am and you choose the time period and whether it allows contacts / certain numbers / no numbers to reach you. Neat huh?

Cartman2

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Have had similar issues.

Symptoms:
I never had issues until a recent update. I started noticing sometimes there were no notification sounds even though the volume was maxed. I could not trust the phone as an alarm clock and missed many calls. Upon more troubleshooting I noticed I also couldn’t watch any YouTube videos. I got the error: ”There was a problem while playing. Tap to retry.” no matter what video. I also couldn’t play music with Google Play Music. I got the error: ”Couldn’t play the track you requested” no matter what song. A restart would restore normal operation.

Resolutions:
I performed a factory reset of the phone. The problem persisted.
I received a warranty replacement. The problem persisted.
I talked with other Turbo users who weren’t having similar issues.

Suspected Problem:
I now believe the issue is due to apps. The issue seems to occur when Candy Crush and Soda Crush apps are both played by King. Embarrassingly I play these games to kill time several times a week. When I play only one after a restart there are no issues. However when I run out of lives in one then open the other the app sounds get glitchy. The sounds from screen taps and other triggered sounds play however the background music will stop. I find a restart is required to restore normal operation. While my phone was experiencing all the symptoms as listed above and unable to play music or YouTube I decided to check if game sounds would work. I opened Soda Crush and it worked. Then I noticed everything worked. All the other symptoms were gone. Can anyone else confirm they also have these apps installed?

Troubleshooting apps:
If anyone else is having similar problems try stopping apps until the problem resolves. Stop one at a time then check if the problem persists. Got to Settings, Apps, Running, then tap various apps and tap Stop. If none resolve the issue try stopping apps from the Downloaded tab. Even though the phone doesn’t list them as running they may be interfering. Please report you findings here.

Chad Adams4

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Have had similar issues.

Symptoms:
I never had issues until a recent update. I started noticing sometimes there were no notification sounds even though the volume was maxed. I could not trust the phone as an alarm clock and missed many calls. Upon more troubleshooting I noticed I also couldn’t watch any YouTube videos. I got the error: ”There was a problem while playing. Tap to retry.” no matter what video. I also couldn’t play music with Google Play Music. I got the error: ”Couldn’t play the track you requested” no matter what song. A restart would restore normal operation.

Resolutions:
I performed a factory reset of the phone. The problem persisted.
I received a warranty replacement. The problem persisted.
I talked with other Turbo users who weren’t having similar issues.

Suspected Problem:
I now believe the issue is due to apps. The issue seems to occur when Candy Crush and Soda Crush apps are both played by King. Embarrassingly I play these games to kill time several times a week. When I play only one after a restart there are no issues. However when I run out of lives in one then open the other the app sounds get glitchy. The sounds from screen taps and other triggered sounds play however the background music will stop. I find a restart is required to restore normal operation. While my phone was experiencing all the symptoms as listed above and unable to play music or YouTube I decided to check if game sounds would work. I opened Soda Crush and it worked. Then I noticed everything worked. All the other symptoms were gone. Can anyone else confirm they also have these apps installed?

Troubleshooting apps:
If anyone else is having similar problems try stopping apps until the problem resolves. Stop one at a time then check if the problem persists. Got to Settings, Apps, Running, then tap various apps and tap Stop. If none resolve the issue try stopping apps from the Downloaded tab. Even though the phone doesn’t list them as running they may be interfering. Please report you findings here.

Thanks for posting. I recently have been having the same issue with my phone and the only thing that will make my alerts sound was a reboot. I followed your disable app procedure and disabled a new app I have been playing with my wife called stop. It is a game similar to scattergories. I disabled it and viola all sounds and alerts are functioning again

SkubiPL

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I know this is quite old but i recently got the same issue.
There is few more symptoms.
Phone wont recive calls.
Cant play any videos on youtube or facebook.
Alarms wont ring.

I factory reset my phone twice and didnt even install any games or apps and issue still occures.
Any ideas ?
Thanx for help

tcalves

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I haven't seen this in other threads, so I'm wondering if my issue is unique.

The notifications will pop up like they're supposed to, but with no sound. When I go to settings to adjust the volume, it freezes and FC's. Any ideas?

I had a problem with alarm not sounding in my Xiaomi and was able to fix it by (i) pressing the volume button (ii) clicking on the drop-menu option and (iii) increasing the volume next to the alarm icon. Hope this helps...

James Stabler

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
This worked for me. Try settings/Applications/ click the message app and scroll down to notifications. make sure it's not blocked. check other app as well, mine was also blocked in gmail app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui