DROID Bionic: Apps That Are Safe To Disable (now that you are on ICS)

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
did any of you notice that they seem to have slipped the official facebook app in with the update! I hate the official facebook app and use a 3rd party app. and when i checked in settings it had the disable function available (this doesn't come up on apps that you install from the play store). And to beat that, facebook was in the list of running apps as was slacker sync for ford (i drive a dodge). They are both in my list of disabled apps now.

- - - Updated - - -

MODS: this thread needs a sticky.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
did any of you notice that they seem to have slipped the official facebook app in with the update! I hate the official facebook app and use a 3rd party app. and when i checked in settings it had the disable function available (this doesn't come up on apps that you install from the play store). And to beat that, facebook was in the list of running apps as was slacker sync for ford (i drive a dodge). They are both in my list of disabled apps now.

I've added Facebook to the list.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I've disabled all of the above using titanium pro with the exception of nfl and my battery life is noticeably better. Thanks everyone. Keep the good info coming.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I've disabled most of Ry's, as well as the following that I either don't use or, in the case of FlashRemoval in particular, really don't want running. Asterisked items couldn't be disabled at the ICS level, and had to be frozen using Titanium Backup:

Backup+ Media
*Emergency Alerts
*FlashRemoval
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google+
*Guided Tours
Help Center
MotoPrint
Smart Actions (only because I already own Tasker)
Talk
ZumoService​

I was able to uninstall Let's Golf and ZumoCast. There's still a good deal in the way of background processes running at any given time, but the ability to disable processes that are not useful to me, and/or the apps that call them, helps me to focus the phone's efforts on those things that I do find useful.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I see a lot of battery consumed by Mediaserver. What's that for? Who am I serving media to?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jbelmont

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, bright boy that I am, I just got carried away and disabled "Contacts," thinking the new app was "People." Alas, both "People" and "Phone' disappeared from the dock at the bottom of my home screen. Any idea how to get them back? The phone still works. I can call it. But I can't invoke anything to call out.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, bright boy that I am, I just got carried away and disabled "Contacts," thinking the new app was "People." Alas, both "People" and "Phone' disappeared from the dock at the bottom of my home screen. Any idea how to get them back? The phone still works. I can call it. But I can't invoke anything to call out.

Did you go back and "Enable" Contacts?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've added an Uninstall section for the apps that came with the phone/build that can be uninstalled.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

roadpizza73

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Here's a list of what I zapped in addition to the first list:

Amazon MP3
Email
Forest Wallpaper
Google Play Movie-TV
Google Play Books
Go-to-Meeting (Citrix)
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Print to Retail
hth,

RP

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Here's a list of what I zapped in addition to the first list:

Amazon MP3
Email
Forest Wallpaper
Google Play Movie-TV
Google Play Books
Go-to-Meeting (Citrix)
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Print to Retail
hth,

RP

Can I assume those were all Disables vs. Uninstalls?

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say that battery life is subjectively better after having disabled most of the apps noted in the OP. Not sure which one is causing the drain (or which combo), but it does seem like the phone is back to normal from a battery life perspective.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I was able to uninstall updates to Videosurf, then disable it.

After that, it seemed to disappear from my Bionic. I went to the Play Store, and it said it was not on my phone. I installed it, then uninstalled it. No issues.

So... add Videosurf to the list I guess.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was able to uninstall updates to Videosurf, then disable it.

After that, it seemed to disappear from my Bionic. I went to the Play Store, and it said it was not on my phone. I installed it, then uninstalled it. No issues.

So... add Videosurf to the list I guess.

I've never had an app called videosurf installed on my bionic, are you referring to Verizon video?

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've never had an app called videosurf installed on my bionic, are you referring to Verizon video?

Oops, sorry everybody. My bad. It was there once upon a time, was one of the first ones I got rid of. Needless to say it wasn't very memorable.