Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WebOS Refugee
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    ROM
    OEM

Default Notification volume on ICS....

Is there any way to make notification volume the same as ringtone volume like in GB?

This is legitimately pissing me off so bad I can't just use the volume rocker to turn down the volume of my text and email and Facebook and EVERY OTHER ALERT ON MY PHONE without going into settings>sound>volumes just to turn it down. Then going back just to turn it up.

This is actually really frustrating and inconvenient for me. When I had GB there was the option to keep notification and ringtone volumes the same level......

Please help... TIA

ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

Default Re: Notification volume on ICS....

Under GB the volume rocker controlled whatever the phone thought was the current thing (in the music player, it controlled the media volume; at the home screen it controlled the ringer volume, etc.). As nearly as I can tell, ICS works the same way. I'm really liking the ability to control all the volume levels at once, at any time, by just sweeping down from the notification bar and clicking on the settings icon.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    ROM
    OEM

Notification volume won't be the same as ringtone, and won't be controlled by rocker... pain in my *** this is ridiculous.....

Does anyone know a way around this? Sometimes I need notifications and ringers loud to hear. But sometimes I like them mellow. Its crazy to have to go through multiple menus just to turn volume up or down , multiple times
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    ROM
    OEM

I had to download "Volume Control +" to get this feature back.

Crazy to have to DL a third party app for such a simple feature that has ALWAYS been a part of the Android OS.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrome View Post

Crazy to have to DL a third party app for such a simple feature that has ALWAYS been a part of the Android OS.
    Agreed. I'm using audio manager pro, which has customizeable sound profiles, and you can even have one-touch widgets assigned to different profiles.

I have a work profile and a home profile set up... the only difference between the two is the ringer/notification volume.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    ROM
    OEM

Uninstalled volume control + did not like it. ..

Is this the same on all new ICS and JB phones? I do NOT like this crap at all.... I can't believe how much it's bothering me lol.

I guess life could get worse right?

Wow... #firstworldproblems indeed.

Just download Audio Manager Pro. Works great.

Notification volume on ICS....-screen.jpg

ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

Quote Originally Posted by JCrome View Post

Can't speak to the history aspects from personal experience, but this discussion at the Google code site addresses the issue that arose when the notification and ringtone volume controls were consolidated, indicating that they were separately controllable at some point. Comments include the following:

Please back out this bad, bad, bad change. We need the continued ability to control notifcations and ringtones independently! What were you thinking?

when i sleep i still need ringtone but i dont need any notification to Harass me... pls change back to android 2.x and android 3.0

This is a serious omission, I need the ability to split notifications and ringer, as I have done in previous versions of andriod. This is a critical business need!

I work on call and need to silence the notifications at night, but leave ringtone on loud.

Like many others I need this separate for safety. At night my phone should ring so that way I can be reached in case of an emergecy but I do not need notifications for emails and everything else. If these remain linked it would be a serious problem

And my personal favorite:

This is absolutely absurd that Google or Samsung would remove such useful functionality. That would be like tying your car stereo volume and your car alarm volume together. Sure they are both in the car, but they serve very different purposes. If I turn my stereo down, that should not affect my car alarm, right? Then why do I have to change all volumes at once when it has been separate for as long as I can remember?

Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WebOS Refugee View Post
    Can't speak to the history aspects from personal experience, but this discussion at the Google code site addresses the issue that arose when the notification and ringtone volume controls were consolidated, indicating that they were separately controllable at some point.
    They were. I've just moved to a Galaxy S3 on JB from an HTC Desire on FroYo. On the Desire there was a checkbox that you could select to tie the notification and ringtone volumes together. Leave it unchecked and they were separately controllable. I've no idea why anyone would change that to either force both to be together or force them to be separate; it's totally absurd!

Volume Butler is the best app for separate ringer and notification volumes, and it's free. The app is simply one of the best apps I've ever seen.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.volumebutler