What makes you Android?

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, completely random and different question here. Why are you on Android? What makes you an Android fan? What makes our culture our culture? I'm trying to wrap my mind around the Android culture so I can put it into words. It's more of a feeling deep inside than anything else, at least to me, and often that is hard to put into words. iSheep are iSheep, just because they are. So, I'm asking, what makes you Android?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Easy. Don't like iOS. I have 2 Touchs here and never use them. screens are too small and iOS is to dummied-down for me.

ALL the apps I used (and I use a lot) on iOS are here on Android so no issues there.

I like the customization of Android, as compared to iOS. Neither OS is perfect, but I'm happy to be using Androids--so much more so than when I only had iOS and BB. The BB experience was the worst experience in my life, for a consumer product (Storm 2). The whole BB thing boggles my mind--BB devotes talk about how "great" email is, yet BB is the only OS I've used that gives the annoying truncated email problem.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay, completely random and different question here. Why are you on Android? What makes you an Android fan? What makes our culture our culture? I'm trying to wrap my mind around the Android culture so I can put it into words. It's more of a feeling deep inside than anything else, at least to me, and often that is hard to put into words. iSheep are iSheep, just because they are. So, I'm asking, what makes you Android?

I bought an Android phone precisely because the iPhone was not on Verizon at the time, and staying on Verizon (and having a signal in more places I go) was more critical than having an iPhone. I've stayed on Android in part because, when the time came last year, I didn't want to buy an all-glass phone. (Really, I do enjoy Android slightly more, so that's why I stayed.)

I can live quite easily on iOS if I wish (well, I have an iPad and an iPod Touch, so I sort of use both systems, though the Touch is really just a well-connected audio player for me). There are things that Android does better - particularly its great synergy with Google services like GMail, Calendar, Maps (heh), etc.; its notifications; its ability to let apps do more in the background. But there are things that iOS does better, and I could use either one quite easily. [Just to take it parenthetical and describe the two things that intrigue me about getting the iPhone next time, Apple really supports iPhones better than any Android OEM supports their phones. They are easy to get repaired or replaced when they break or are faulty, compared with what I have seen with Android handsets. Second - the iPhone 5 is SIM-unlocked, so I can not only travel internationally and get a local SIM without calling Verizon and going through several minutes of phone tediousness to get an unlock code, it's also SIM unlocked in North America, which I believe that no Android phone is. (I guess that's not a very critical thing to most people, though.)]

I agree that the iSheep comment exaggerates things. There are some that will live and die with Apple, but it's just as ridiculous to be such a fan of Android that you denigrate people who use iOS products. It gets nowhere. Phones, tablets, computers - they are all just tools, and you use the tool that works best for you. Why people feel the need to make fun of others for making the choice that best serves them puzzles me.

That said, those Samsung Galaxy S3 ads are damn funny.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Not to be rude, but I'd prefer if we didn't use terms such as "iSheep". It will tend to inflame some people and then what would otherwise be a legitimate discussion will devolve into a street fight. :)

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
For me iOS is proprietary. Android allows for a lot more customization. You only have the option of 1 phone (Android allows you many many options hardware wise with varying screen sizes, processor speeds etc). The iPhone does not have expandable memory instead you need to plunk down an extra $100 for additional memory while you can easily purchase a micro sd for $15. There is no flash in the browser, no removable battery in the iPhone. They make you use their software (I hate iTunes.) The iPhone screen (even at 4 inches) is tiny.

I don't know enough about Windows yet. I used to use Pocket PC back in the day but I cant really say much other than their market is virtually dry right now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
For me iOS is proprietary. Android allows for a lot more customization. You only have the option of 1 phone (Android allows you many many options hardware wise with varying screen sizes, processor speeds etc). The iPhone does not have expandable memory instead you need to plunk down an extra $100 for additional memory while you can easily purchase a micro sd for $15. There is no flash in the browser, no removable battery in the iPhone. They make you use their software (I hate iTunes.) The iPhone screen (even at 4 inches) is tiny.

Just to counter a bit, there are a few iPhone models now - not just the iPhone 5 - so there options for two different screen sizes, three different processor speeds (but, yeah, not much choice.) You no longer need iTunes - you can activate a phone and never install iTunes at all. Android may be open source, but there are very few Android devices that are not proprietary, including the Bionic - with its locked bootloader, at the moment a full-functioning device, even rooted, is running what Motorola decides will be the system OS.

The rest are great points (though Nexus phones have that peculiar inability to add storage problem...) - though, with some good cloud computing options, having onboard storage is getting less important. And, going forward, there will be no flash in the browser on Android as well. (I hate flash myself, so good riddance, though I know many people lov it/need it. I can't wait for every restaurant to finally move away from the flash crap that they have on their sites, though.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante