1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Default FXZ to Overcome Performance Issues Since ICS Update?

I'm wondering if using the ICS FXZ would overcome performance issues I'm seeing on my Bionic since the ICS update.

Here's my situation: Due to being rooted, the initial ICS update was unsuccessful. So, I used the Gingerbread FXZ to reset my Bionic to an unrooted state. I used a method which did not erase existing data. The ICS update was then successful, and my Bionic runs fine for a few days. But soon after I note severe lag when launching the dialer, the camera and most other applications. I performed a FDR, but that has not seemed to improve the situation. I'm guessing there's some underlying issue within the filesystem that is causing the issues. So, would completely wiping my phone with the FXZ process be successful at correcting the issue?

I'd like to try and get things *right* prior to the release of Jelly Bean.

Thanks for any insights,
    Scott

Default Re: FXZ to Overcome Performance Issues Since ICS Update?

Quote Originally Posted by sfringer View Post
    I'm wondering if using the ICS FXZ would overcome performance issues I'm seeing on my Bionic since the ICS update.

Here's my situation: Due to being rooted, the initial ICS update was unsuccessful. So, I used the Gingerbread FXZ to reset my Bionic to an unrooted state. I used a method which did not erase existing data. The ICS update was then successful, and my Bionic runs fine for a few days. But soon after I note severe lag when launching the dialer, the camera and most other applications. I performed a FDR, but that has not seemed to improve the situation. I'm guessing there's some underlying issue within the filesystem that is causing the issues. So, would completely wiping my phone with the FXZ process be successful at correcting the issue?

I'd like to try and get things *right* prior to the release of Jelly Bean.

Thanks for any insights,
    Scott
    I can't offer any insights on the FXZ process, but wonder if you could first put your Bionic in Safe Mode ) and re-evaluate performance with all 3rd party apps prevented from running. Seems to me like you could have an app conflict.

If performance is good in Safe Mode, your task is discovering which app is the rogue. Good Luck!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in Bristol View Post
    I can't offer any insights on the FXZ process, but wonder if you could first put your Bionic in Safe Mode ) and re-evaluate performance with all 3rd party apps prevented from running. Seems to me like you could have an app conflict.

If performance is good in Safe Mode, your task is discovering which app is the rogue. Good Luck!
    Tom;

That's certainly a route I hadn't considered. I'll give that a run first and see what comes of it - I'd certainly prefer not having to start from scratch with apps (but in the end, that may prove beneficial).

Thanks,
    Scott

it don't matter what rom i'm using.

it all works fine for a couple of weeks. after that. forget it.

lately i've had to use silent camera. becuase the stock app only works when it wants to. which isn't often. and i've been using a email app. becuase the stock hasn't worked basically since 4.0 came out. and iu'm on my 4rth differnet 4.0 version.

seems like ewverytime there's a step up in software. i get diferent bugs.

typing is the latest issue.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfringer View Post
    Tom;

That's certainly a route I hadn't considered. I'll give that a run first and see what comes of it - I'd certainly prefer not having to start from scratch with apps (but in the end, that may prove beneficial).

Thanks,
    Scott
    Let us know how that goes for you.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Let us know how that goes for you.
    Well - I can't say it was successful. I worked through Safe Mode, but phone still seemed pretty sluggish after a few days use. I'm going to buckle down and got the FXZ route.

Scott
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

So, I took the plunge and performed the FXZ. For the most part, the phone does seem to be responding better; but not to a level that I remember from the Gingerbread days. I am also experiencing some issues with apps that are not performing as expected. These are apps that were installed prior to the FXZ. Nothing was restored from a backup or the cloud, all apps were selectively installed from Google Play based on need.

End result - I'm not sure the FXZ provided the relief I was hoping; just seems the ICS update is the root of my performance woes.

Scott