Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Possessed bionic?

Yesterday afternoon I had just finished talking to my wife and I set my phone on my desk and went back to work on my computer. After a few minutes I noticed that there was a tapping noise coming from the direction of my phone. When I looked at it I noticed that it was typing in numbers on the unlock screen. I'm linked to our office network with Exchange and it requires a passcode. The phone was constantly typing in numbers and hitting OK. This went on for a couple of minutes. At one point it had a message to retry and a countdown timer. The typing continued until it suddently said it was shutting down. When it came back up, the green android character appeared for a couple of minutes. When the phone finally came back up it had been wiped clean. I had to set everything up like it was a new phone. Needless to say I was not happy. Fortunately, I was able to recover all my contacts via Exchange and all of my tasks and calendar. I had to reinstall all my apps. I of course lost some data from some of the apps and my phone history.

I have not installed any new apps in months, so I'm sure its not an app. I'm on ICS and the version is the same now as it was before the reset.

Anyon ehave any thoughts on what may have caused this???

Default Re: Possessed bionic?

The Chinese are at it again.
    Droid Maxx

US Navy CPO Ret

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Default Re: Possessed bionic?

Smells like a big bag o' hax.

? Was the typing of numbers happening at a constant rate; as if a machine was entering them or was there some variation like a human was typing them?

If machine like, there could have been some script running solo within your phone - not necessarily requiring an active connection.

If human like, was bluetooth active? And maybe somebody using a bluetooth keyboard for something else nearby.

Your phone may not have been the only vector an attacker was using if their target was your office network - If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to let your IT dept know about the weirdness you spotted.