Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By androidluvr2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    .232 ICS Leak

Default Replacement Bionic or gnex?

So my two year old daughter decided to drop my wife's Bionic and shattered the screen.

We could go with a replacement Bionic for $100 through insurance, or we could buy a Galaxy Nexus for under $200.

Do you think it is still enough of an upgrade to be worth it at this point? Any major issues I should be aware of?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Replacement Bionic or gnex?

Quote Originally Posted by Yaish View Post
    Any major issues I should be aware of?
    Yes. Battery life especially on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 is not good. Then there is the poor signal reception in areas where the signal is on the weak side. Those are the 2 main issues.

However, I don't know how the battery life of the GNex compares to the Bionic. As best I can tell from reading here, all of the current 4G LTE phones have not so great battery life with the exception of the Razr Maxx, Razr Maxx HD and Galaxy Note 2. How bad they are in comparison to each other you would need to research.

What I love the most about my GNex is the screen and that I can WiFi tether my computer to my phone. And where the 4G LTE signal is strong, my phone is fast. But of course, 4G LTE uses a lot of battery as does the screen. I don't make it through the day without having to pop in a fresh battery.
    I voided my warranty.

So my two year old daughter decided to drop my wife's Bionic and shattered the screen.

We could go with a replacement Bionic for $100 through insurance, or we could buy a Galaxy Nexus for under $200.
    When is the line due for an upgrade? Verizon will sometimes give you an early upgrade if your phone is broken. Of course, then you would lose unlimited data if you have that on the line.
    I voided my warranty.

Try eBay, Craigslist, swappa, Amazon for another bionic or galaxy nexus? I saw a razr at the local flea market for one bill. there are other options.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Sent From My Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by comk4ver View Post
    I saw a razr at the local flea market for one bill. there are other options.
    The razr's battery life is not any better than the GNex. Only the Razr Maxx. Those are going for $200+ on swappa.

I would take a GNex over a Razr myself, but if you live somewhere the signal is weak, maybe the Razr would be a better choice. The Razr is not without its own issues, though.
    I voided my warranty.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    .232 ICS Leak

We are in a weak signal area so that might knock the gnex out. We live out post where cable or DSL service do our phones are our internet. 4G is spotty and intermittent at home.

I think a replacement bionic might be the best answer at this point. My wife still likes using her lap dock too so she'd be able to keep that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

We are in a weak signal area so that might knock the gnex out. We live out post where cable or DSL service do our phones are our internet. 4G is spotty and intermittent at home.
    Your situation would definitely rule out the GNex.

I think a replacement bionic might be the best answer at this point. My wife still likes using her lap dock too so she'd be able to keep that.
    Then when you are ready for an upgrade, you can sell it on swappa. You should still be able to get your insurance deductible back if you sell it with the lapdock, maybe more.
    I voided my warranty.
    Yaish likes this.