Solution for bypassing Google voice dialer

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My problem with the new JB Google voice dialer was it's obnoxiously loud on Bluetooth, but I've seen several posts that it's also very inaccurate. I poked about trying some tricks I found, and looks like I found the solution for those wanting to go back to the old voice command dialer for Bluetooth calls.

There was a new update to the Google search app, and this solved it for someone else. After I downloaded the update, I went to the dialer screen (I had Bluetooth off, but not sure if required for this) and tapped the microphone button. This time it popped up a box asking which app I wanted to use for voice dialing: Voice Command or Google Voice. I selected voice commands and said to always use it, and now it works like on ICS. I also noticed the annoying loud beep that was made on call disconnect is gone away.

Last edited:

revbradl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mooncatt,

I can't get this to work for me... I mistakenly told my Droid Razr Maxx to use the "Google Voice" as default (when I push the call button on my bluetooth headset), now I want to revert it back to "Voice Command" but I can't find the way to reset it. I tried turning off the bluetooth and tapping the mic on the dialer screen, but it just flashes a blank screen then returns to the dialer screen. Do you know of any other tricks? Thanks,

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Try going into the manage apps screen from the home screen menu. Look under the ALL tab and find the Google Search app. Go into it and see if you have an option to remove defaults. If so, do that and see if it starts to ask which app when voice dialing again. If that doesn't work or you don't have that option available, I would try the uninstall updates option in the same managing screen as the defaults. I don't know if that would work, but in theory, it would reset the app to stock and you'd start over with downloading the Google Search update again and go from there like in my original post.

Hope this helps.

revbradl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi again Mooncatt, So, unfortunately your second suggestions didn't work, but I was able to fix it by uninstalling "Voice Commands" then re-installing the "updates" for it. After doing this, and pushing the talk button on my headphone, it brought up the dialog box to let me choose between "Google Voice" and "Voice Commands." Thanks again for your help. :cool:

Velkro16

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a LG G2. By default the voice dialer is chosen as the app that is ;aunched when clicking the hands-free button an a bluetooth headset or earpiece. There is no option to clear the defaults either. Has anyone found any others ways around this?

SimpleMindedMe

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a LG G2. By default the voice dialer is chosen as the app that is ;aunched when clicking the hands-free button an a bluetooth headset or earpiece. There is no option to clear the defaults either. Has anyone found any others ways around this?
I have the same Device, and looking for to change the default Voice Dialing app to Google Search, Yet there is not option to remove the Voice Dialer as default.
If you have a solution, please share..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the G2, but see if you can adapt revbradl's solution to yours. Try uninstalling the updates to Google Search and/or whatever your voice dialer app is on your phone, and then go into Google Play to reinstall the updates. That should reset the defaults and prompt you to select the which app you want to use.