Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Constant Reboot

So I've had my Bionic for about a year and half with no real issues to speak of. A couple weeks ago I got the OTA update pushed to me and installed with no issues.

Last night my phone showed no service and would constantly reboot. It starts up, stays on for about 3 minutes, then shuts down and reboots again. I tried all advice I found online (soft reboot, safe mode, no sim card, no sd, etc.) but no luck. At the advice of Verizon Tech Support I did a factory reset. Now, the phone will only get to the welcome screen. I click Start and it says "Please wait, this may take a few minutes" but then shortly after, the phone restarts all over again.

Verizon said they're overnighting me a replacement phone. Anyone have any thoughts about what could be causing this?

Default Re: Constant Reboot

I had a bionic do this exact thing way back in the gb days. Never figured out what happened but I got a refurbished Verizon replacement also. The issue started after I plugged my bionic audio jack into an old stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp17 View Post
    So I've had my Bionic for about a year and half with no real issues to speak of. A couple weeks ago I got the OTA update pushed to me and installed with no issues.

Last night my phone showed no service and would constantly reboot. It starts up, stays on for about 3 minutes, then shuts down and reboots again. I tried all advice I found online (soft reboot, safe mode, no sim card, no sd, etc.) but no luck. At the advice of Verizon Tech Support I did a factory reset. Now, the phone will only get to the welcome screen. I click Start and it says "Please wait, this may take a few minutes" but then shortly after, the phone restarts all over again.

Verizon said they're overnighting me a replacement phone. Anyone have any thoughts about what could be causing this?
    Same problem here too...
    I'm on non US carrier...

Any suggestions...

sent from my DROID BIONIC via Reliance Wireless

Try reinstalling jellybean. Download it to your sd card. Go into the maintenance menu... power + vol up & vol down... choose restore. then hold vol up & vol down again during the picture with the droid with its chest open. Choose install from external source. Make sure the zip file of jellybean is not inside a folder. This worked for two days until I received whatever update again screwed up my phone. Then I did this all over again.
    Gary Empey likes this.

Actually, I could use some help with this, it is driving me insane!

First off -just FYI.
    Droid Bionic System Version 98.72.22.xt875.verizon
    Jelly bean 4.1.2
    I am NOT rooted, and am not due for an upgrade until August.

I assume my phone received an update of some sort.
    At night I plug my phone in and turn off the screen, but do not shut it off.
    At 3am est on May 29th, my phone restarted for no reason.
    When it booted back up, I had no cell service (data or calls), wifi was fine.
    It stayed on for 2 to 3 minutes and restarted. That happened 3 times before I powered it down.

Things I tried to get it working...

Cleared the cache.
    Re enabled ALL of the crapware.
    Pulled the battery - simcard - Sd card, multiple times.

Finally found a copy of Jellybean 4.1.2 for droid online. Downloaded it to my SD card, went into the restore menu, and reinstalled my OS.

Everything worked !

FOR ONE DAY ?!?

It lost cell service and started rebooting again. So.... rinse and repeat.
    It happened again a day later.

OK, FACTORY RESET

Except this time it rebooted into the Setup sequence, to the part where it askes "which language".
    I chose english... and it REBOOTED back to the same "which language" screen.

Reinstalled Jellybean 4.1.2

Everything worked !

FOR ONE DAY ?!?

It lost cell service and started rebooting again this morning. So.... rinse and repeat.

HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP !

Just curious if you ever found a cure for this issue. I am currently on the second rinse and repeat. Thanks in advance

Yes.

I am on to a Galaxy S4 though.

I wanted to use my Bionic as a small tablet for my son. (like an ipod so to speak)

I used rds Lite to reinstall jellybean several times. + Several factory resets.

I managed to use saferoot to root it.

After a minute or two it Just reboots. Then you have to connect a usb and install Safestrap. by this time it rebooted. then download CM11 to a folder on the phone. - rebooted - then go to apps and launch safestrap and install recovery, before it can reboot again!

In recovery install a new rom slot. Then install CM11 kitkat.

My bionic has not rebooted on this new OS. Funny thing is, if I go into my stock rom slot it will reboot after a minute or two. Therefore it is definitely a software bug!

I think it is built in obsolescence, to make you get a new phone/contract. I have seen a ton of threads, most droids end up this way.