Goodbye to my Bionic

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I saw that. Impressive. Most impressive. The S4 is hard to beat. If I had the money I'd consider a developer edition myself. Not in the cards for me but for those who get one, honestly, I can't blame you. As for Moto surprise...yea, it's a surprise alright. A surprise that after what will end up being 9 to 10 months since their last high end phone release they're going to release a mediocre mid-range phone. Go MOTO! No....seriously....go....into the corner...and think about what you've not done.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Dunno if it will be carried by VzW, but I wish the S4 Mini would have the same internal hardware as the S4. The 4.3" screen on my Bionic is just about the perfect size, but I suppose it won't be too difficult embracing the impressive 5" AMOLED on the S4...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll be keeping my Bionic until it dies. Might pick up another one or maybe a RAZR MAXX as spares. Can't give up my Lapdock just yet. Have fun with the S4.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly having fun with the HD. It's awesome to have an unlocked phone again where I can rom the hell out of it. CM10.1 with a custom kernel is awesome.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'll be keeping my Bionic until it dies. Might pick up another one or maybe a RAZR MAXX as spares. Can't give up my Lapdock just yet. Have fun with the S4.

I'll be keeping my Bionic as a backup/dedicated automobile device. Never had a need for acquiring the Lapdock. But I won't miss the frustrating updates (especially the early ones) and update intervals. I plan on waiting until the Dev Edition is available, whenever that may be.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There are multiple devices coming so people are confused. The "ghost" will be out first and is a midrange phone. The moto X "hero" flagship phone will ship later. It better have at least 4.3 on it to even begin to impress me. Admittedly they've done a good job renewing my interest. The few tidbits we got sound interesting. Using a second low power proc to offload common tasks to increase battery life is interesting. The positional awareness sounds a bit gimmicky to me but so are 90% of the s4 features. Given my monetary situation I have to wait til at least October anyway so we'll see. One thing that seems to be overlooked was his comment about full retail pricing not lasting and that there's no need for moto to do a 50% markup on their phones. 375 retail? Yes please.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Ratamacue2

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
One thing that seems to be overlooked was his comment about full retail pricing not lasting and that there's no need for moto to do a 50% markup on their phones. 375 retail? Yes please.
This.
If MooGle releases a current spec phone with some innovative technology like the low power processor that I can buy for $375 and keep unlimited on VZW, sign me the hell up.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This.
If MooGle releases a current spec phone with some innovative technology like the low power processor that I can buy for $375 and keep unlimited on VZW, sign me the hell up.

Indeed. I'll be all over that myself. Now throw in an unlocked bootloader and we're good to go. :D Oh, right, we said VZW. Damnit. :D

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There are multiple devices coming so people are confused. The "ghost" will be out first and is a midrange phone. The moto X "hero" flagship phone will ship later. It better have at least 4.3 on it to even begin to impress me. Admittedly they've done a good job renewing my interest. The few tidbits we got sound interesting. Using a second low power proc to offload common tasks to increase battery life is interesting. The positional awareness sounds a bit gimmicky to me but so are 90% of the s4 features. Given my monetary situation I have to wait til at least October anyway so we'll see. One thing that seems to be overlooked was his comment about full retail pricing not lasting and that there's no need for moto to do a 50% markup on their phones. 375 retail? Yes please.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

They've got Google money, potentially. Does Google want to subsidize every Motorola that comes out going forward? Can the smaller players like LG and HTC deal with that? Motorola's cash flow isn't there.

Re: personal awareness, didn't they talk about that stuff at I/O?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My reply got lost. Basically moto gets no money from Google. They get treated like any other mfg with no special treatment at all. So that theory isn't correct.

As for i/o they may have. I didn't see anything on it but I may have simply missed it.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My reply got lost. Basically moto gets no money from Google. They get treated like any other mfg with no special treatment at all. So that theory isn't correct.

As for i/o they may have. I didn't see anything on it but I may have simply missed it.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

Which is why I said potentially.

:)

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Which is why I said potentially.

:)

I know. I recognized that in my original reply that got lost. I was out and about when I re-replied. But there is no potential. Google is not playing favorites with Moto. In fact, I would argue that "being a part of Google" the way that they are significantly hurts Moto in many ways. It's great that there's signs of life at Moto, but, we're talking 5 months before we see a high end phone from them. The S4 and HTC One will be quite entrenched by then. And will be receiving a price break. If Moto releases something with a couple gimmicky features that's "comparable" to the S4 and HTC One, they're going to get killed in the market. It has to be better...significantly so...to justify coming out 5 months after the competition.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Someone suggested in another forum that the bootloader can already be unlocked via tool on the S4. Is this true? If so, then why would I bother to wait on the Dev Edition? All I really want is the ability to use custom ROMs if I so choose.

Other news has given me even more reason to hold off on the upgrade until at least early July. But if the high-end Moto phone to be released later this year will definitely offer KLP first and outdoes HTC and Samsung in specs, I just might wait and purchase it.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not a true unlock. Loki is an exploit of a security hole in the signed bootloader code allowing an unsigned bootloader to be flashed. At the moment this is basically allowing the same thing as a truly unlocked phone, BUT, if they patch the security hole and you ever take an official update with the hole patched, you may lose the ability to flash unsigned code. If you make the determination to use Loki to flash custom recovery and then use ROMS permanently, then you're good. Just never take an OTA update for any reason after that point.

You can't know that it'll ship with KLP. I lay odds against it. You'll be lucky if it ships with 4.3. As for specs, they better pray it outdoes the HTC and Samsung devices cause if not, there's no reason for people to spend more money on a supposedly "new" phone when the HTC and Samsung offerings will be cheaper at that point. Gimmicky "self-awareness" options aside, they have to give people a REASON to want to choose this over other offerings that will have been out for 5+ months by then.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Also, I fooled around with an S4 at the Vz store again and I ran a Quad benchmark myself. I really loved the interface. Must. Resist. Temptation. Of. Impulsive. Purchase!

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand that mentality right there. I really seriously don't. You found a phone that you genuinely like and are willing to wait 5+ months in the hopes that some unknown device from Moto *MIGHT* be marginally better? That's 5 months of having an awesome device you could enjoy NOW vs waiting and waiting and waiting for something that may or may not materialize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22