Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Boogan1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tablet recommendation

I thought I would ask the question here instead of the tablet forum to see what everyone's opinion here was. I work overnights and have a lot of time on my hands so I read a lot. I was thinking about some kind of a "reader" ie kindle fire or nook, but can't I install a reader app on a tablet and do the same thing? The main uses of the tablet will be reading, watching movies from netflix or direct tv, and some web surfing. I am not a gamer so probably no games or very few. 7" would probably be ok, 8.9 probably better. Budget is 200-300 dollars. Ok lets hear your thoughts!! Thanks!

Default Re: Tablet recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Boogan1 View Post
    I thought I would ask the question here instead of the tablet forum to see what everyone's opinion here was. I work overnights and have a lot of time on my hands so I read a lot. I was thinking about some kind of a "reader" ie kindle fire or nook, but can't I install a reader app on a tablet and do the same thing? The main uses of the tablet will be reading, watching movies from netflix or direct tv, and some web surfing. I am not a gamer so probably no games or very few. 7" would probably be ok, 8.9 probably better. Budget is 200-300 dollars. Ok lets hear your thoughts!! Thanks!
    Could you stretch your budget 30dollars more and get an iPad mini?

You could get a 16GB nexus 7 ($199.99 on the Play Store) and install the Barnes & Noble Nook app, which is free on the Play Store. Then all you have to do is use your B&N account to log in and you should be good to go. Once you finish the book in the Nook app, archive it and it will be removed from your device, but not your total collection, so you can save space.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I guess I should add that I have no interest in an apple product. Thanks for the input about the Nexus 7.

ROM
    .232 ICS Leak

If you're an Amazon Prime member you can stream their content on the kindle fire. I'm not sure if the Fire still comes with the free Prime membership.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.2.2 Tablet/4.3 Phone

I've got a Galaxy Tab 2 (7" Wi-Fi) that I absolutely love. I bought mine out at the local Walmart store for $179.99. Good buy for the money. Just a thought. I'm the same way you are about Apple products even though I do have an iPod Touch but I don't use it much at all. I'm keeping it around for when my youngest nephew comes to visit. He likes playing with it every once in a while.
    Cindy
    ---------------------------
    My Android Wallpapers Site
    http://cindysandroidwallpapers.wordpress.com/

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

I have the original galaxy tab 10.1, bought it refurbished on woot.com a while back for well under $300. Real solid device I've been happy with. Bought my wife the 32gb nexus 7 for $249. Awesome device for the money, and she reads on it. Either I'd have no problem recommending.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Nexus 10 is good. It is 500 dollars but it is definitely worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    The Nexus 10 is good. It is 500 dollars but it is definitely worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
    Please read the OP's first post again.

get a Hisense Sero 7 Pro from Walmart for $149 ... 7" with Android 4.2.1 .. There is a thread here in the forums about it. Fantastic buy !

[COLOtic buy !R="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

I have been very happy with the Nexus 7. Only $200 and does everything you are looking for. I use the Kindle app and stream netflix quite often.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

What ecosystems are you in?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks for everyone's input, I just purchased the Sero 7 pro from walmart after reading all the great reviews on AC about it. I will let you know what I think. Thanks again!!
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and cindylike24 like this.

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.2.2 Tablet/4.3 Phone

Thanks for everyone's input, I just purchased the Sero 7 pro from walmart after reading all the great reviews on AC about it. I will let you know what I think. Thanks again!!
    Hey dude! Where are you from? I'm from Southern Indiana and I have not seen that at the Wal-Mart in my hometown at all. All that they have here is the Samsung Galaxy Tab (7" and 10" models), Galaxy Note Tab in 10", and the Nexus Tablets (7" and 10" models). I was just out there over the weekend and looked over their tablets to see what they have now. Never heard of the Sero 7 Pro. I just went on to the Wal-Mart web site and looked it up. The specs look great on that tablet. Looks like you've made a good choice in tablets. Let us know how you like your tablet.
    Last edited by cindylike24; 06-04-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Got more information.
    Cindy
    ---------------------------
    My Android Wallpapers Site
    http://cindysandroidwallpapers.wordpress.com/
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

For some reason Walmart isn't displaying these Sero tablets but they have them in the case under the tablet display. When I looked at my walmart the slot for the Sero 7 pro was empty but I asked the guy if they had any in the back. He scanned the tag and said it indicated they had 8 of them. He went in the back and sure enough came back with one. I was in there again the next morning and the slot still wasn't filled. I am hearing this is true at other walmarts as well so you may have to ask a clerk if they have them.

For some reason Walmart isn't displaying these Sero tablets but they have them in the case under the tablet display. When I looked at my walmart the slot for the Sero 7 pro was empty but I asked the guy if they had any in the back. He scanned the tag and said it indicated they had 8 of them. He went in the back and sure enough came back with one. I was in there again the next morning and the slot still wasn't filled. I am hearing this is true at other walmarts as well so you may have to ask a clerk if they have them.
    That "slot" is for their demo unit. They probably haven't received theirs yet.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I guess I should clarify, what I called a slot was a space for the Sero 7 pro in the cabinet with the tag, but no units. I had to ask the guy to scan the tag and it showed they had 8 of the units in the back room. When he went to get me one he just brought out one and didn't restock the shelf. I have had the tablet for about a week now and all I can say is that it is a great tablet, can't beat the specs or performance for the price. I would highly recommend this tablet! Add a case and a screen protector and you are good to go!

My wife now has my Nexus 7. I bought the Sero 7 Pro and it is better than the N7. Way more features. I especially love the Hdmi out - fills my 42in Vizio with crystal clear audio and video. Build quality seems excellent. My only negative is that the screen definitely collects prints and grease more than the N7. I definitely recommend the Hisense Sero 7 Pro.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dougf4 View Post
    My wife now has my Nexus 7. I bought the Sero 7 Pro and it is better than the N7. Way more features. I especially love the Hdmi out - fills my 42in Vizio with crystal clear audio and video. Build quality seems excellent. My only negative is that the screen definitely collects prints and grease more than the N7. I definitely recommend the Hisense Sero 7 Pro.
    Very interested in the Sero 7 Pro.

But I might wait for the rumored Nexus 7 update with LTE.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums