Few Questions About The Bionic.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Bionic like any android phone can b used as wifi only as long u don't buy from career. Camera sucked phone sucked. Super locked down battery sucked. Don't think jb will work on it. Phone is dead

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Bionic like any android phone can b used as wifi only as long u don't buy from career. Camera sucked phone sucked. Super locked down battery sucked. Don't think jb will work on it. Phone is dead

Correction - some devices require a special gesture to bypass activation.

The Bionic ships and is currently being run on JB as I later discovered.
I should've specified... Compared to a very low end phone like the LG Optimus V. Compared to your G2 yes I would say it sucks but compared to what I have it rules.

That... Was just a very bad review given in very bad taste. I assume you have a vengeance towards this phone so I can't trust your reply.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I came from an Optimus S (same as the V, only Sprint branded), and yes the Bionic blows it away. About the camera, it's awesome in good lighting, but can suffer as lighting goes down in my experience. That applies to photo and video. The stock battery is lack luster, but there are numerous extended batteries available. I went with the OEM extended and wow what an improvement. It does make the phone a little thicker and heavier, but I personally like it. There are even higher capacity batteries, but the reviews were iffy about life span in most cases. I don't know what moosc was talking about it being locked down, as it's a removable battery. It's also received a slight speed boost with the latest updates. I'm not sure what the advertisements are currently saying, but the ICS update bumped them from the factory 1 GHz processor speed to 1.2 GHz, making it identical in performance to the Razr. Of course they are on 4.1.2 now.

Unlike the Razr, it has an LCD screen instead of the Super AMOLED screen Razr and many other phones have. The downfall is a bit of battery hit and red/magenta shades can have a shadowing effect if they move too fast. The only time that's been an issue for me has been when switching home screens fast. Haven't noticed a problem with movies, games, etc. You do get true colors too, unlike the green tint that is constant on Super AMOLEDs.

To give an idea of how well it's held up compared to current phones, I just downloaded Dead Trigger 2 and can play on high quality graphics, including particle effects and water reflections, with no noticeable lag. Maybe a slight stutter here and there and sure heats the phone up to do it, but still very playable.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
On second thought, maybe moosc meant locked down in reference to the OS and not the battery. His lack of grammar and proper punctuation made it hard to tell.

Yes, there was a question of being able to root the Bionic on JB or keeping it during an upgrade, but I believe that's taken care of now. Look up "House of Bionic" and the JB updating threads further down in this forum. I rooted on ICS and retained it when upgrading to JB.

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
On second thought, maybe moosc meant locked down in reference to the OS and not the battery. His lack of grammar and proper punctuation made it hard to tell.

Yes, there was a question of being able to root the Bionic on JB or keeping it during an upgrade, but I believe that's taken care of now. Look up "House of Bionic" and the JB updating threads further down in this forum. I rooted on ICS and retained it when upgrading to JB.

I don't know I might not even care about having jb as long as it's 4+ I'd more than likely go for a ROM that enhances processing and speed.

Gaming - I might take it up but most of my cares go into photography and social networks. Can you screencast it? Like record on-screen video of game play? I know there's only like 3 trustable screencast apps out there but yeah.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Never thought about doing that. If you can point me to some info on the idea and how to screencast, I'll look into later. Same with trying to post example pics and vids of the camera quality

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Never thought about doing that. If you can point me to some info on the idea and how to screencast, I'll look into later. Same with trying to post example pics and vids of the camera quality

My recommendation for camera is in that Dropbox link in original post.

You can download Z Screen Recorder from the market - oh wait it's paid better I Dropbox that too.

+update - apparently Z Screen Recorder is free now.

SmilinBob

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I came from the OG Droid to the Bionic when it came out and it is still going strong. My wife and I both use it - we've been through 2 each (one was drowned, one lost 4G for no reason and wouldn't get it back) but the phone itself is still viable. We take HD videos of the kiddos all the time and they look terrific. The camera is ok if there is enough light but gets grainy/noise quick without. I rooted both of our phones and wife is using stock while I'm using Raging Bionic ROM (4.1.2 custom) and we still really enjoy the phones with our unlimited 4G. Not sure I'd buy one today with all the other offerings out there, but if it is an upgrade you can get them incredibly cheap on Ebay.

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I came from the OG Droid to the Bionic when it came out and it is still going strong. My wife and I both use it - we've been through 2 each (one was drowned, one lost 4G for no reason and wouldn't get it back) but the phone itself is still viable. We take HD videos of the kiddos all the time and they look terrific. The camera is ok if there is enough light but gets grainy/noise quick without. I rooted both of our phones and wife is using stock while I'm using Raging Bionic ROM (4.1.2 custom) and we still really enjoy the phones with our unlimited 4G. Not sure I'd buy one today with all the other offerings out there, but if it is an upgrade you can get them incredibly cheap on Ebay.

I'm getting it due to limited money so I'm looking for most performance in a budget.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you click it it tells you - it's just the paid version of Camera FV-5 v1.53

I'd delete that link then, as they don't like people posting what amounts to pirated apps on here. Here's a couple pics for you, though, taken with no editing. They are from my Facebook and should be marked public, so hopefully they show here.

This first one was using the regular auto mode from Niagara Falls with mist all around preventing direct sunlight.
1264474_629861043724870_800274221_o.jpg

This was just some random fly I found. Taken using the macro function in good lighting and probably 6-8 inches away.
1172671_619741228070185_896001623_o.jpg

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
To bypass activation screen tap each corner of the screen counter clockwise. FYI I've had every vzw Moto phone up to the bionic. After getting burned by vzw & Moto for locking there bootloader down and having to use bootstraps to root there devices I moved on to the gnex. Then finally the G2. Even today's moto vzw still require bootstrapping. Nothing changed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried some screencast apps, and the only one that worked caused a fair bit of lag during gameplay, so I really can't demonstrate that all that well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon