Do you think 512MB of ram is an issue?

Killjoy

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Im just posing this question since this will be my first smart phone.

I like the fact that it is dual core. I keep on hearing bad things about moto blur. However the one thing that irks me the most is that it only has 512mb of ram while the AT&T counterpart has a full Gig of ram.

Do you think this is a major crutch? Do you think I would even notice? What do you think their reasoning is for the amount of ram that is on par for phones that came out last summer?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Im just posing this question since this will be my first smart phone.

I like the fact that it is dual core. I keep on hearing bad things about moto blur. However the one thing that irks me the most is that it only has 512mb of ram while the AT&T counterpart has a full Gig of ram.

Do you think this is a major crutch? Do you think I would even notice? What do you think their reasoning is for the amount of ram that is on par for phones that came out last summer?

I think it's going to depend on how much bloatware Verizon loads this thing up with. If it's "relatively" bloat-free, in the sense they don't shove Madden and all that garbage down our throats, I don't think it'll be a huge deal.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Shouldnt be an issue but if it has allot of bloat that you can't uninstall it won't be enough best bet use the official fb and twitter app with a third party launcher

briankeith513

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I doubt it will be an issue. Motorola is not gonna provide you the most powerful processor, one of the best screens, and the best battery (1930 mah), and give you ram that will be insufficient. I am sure this will be fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Well its a let down. For a top tier phone this a let down. What I've read this bear min for gingerbread to run. This is MOTOs way to sticking it to VZW for getting iPhone. This phone should stand out above the at&t version but it doesn't

Sent from DroidX running DarkSlide4.2

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to see any trend other than increasing the amount of bloatware that goes on a phone. When the DX shipped, we had some bloatware including NFS Shift trial. Then with one of the updates we got Madden. Two games I never play. One I can't remove.

The memory may not be a "problem" per se, but if anything will slow up this device, it will be the memory. From the Droid X, you've essentially doubled your processor, but have left the memory the same. Would you go from a single core on your PC to a dual core and still leave the 1Gb of memory you had since it was built?

green

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Solution: don't buy the phone.

This phone has great specs but also has a locked bootloader, Blur, and will most likely come with tons of Verizon bloatware.

But I can wait till summer anyway. None of these phones blew my X out the water in terms of performance.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Motorola indicates that the memory is DDR2, desktop-caliber, RAM. I'm familiar with what this is, but I don't know how this relates to the current state-of-the-art for mobile phones. Anybody have any idea on how this relates? Is it a case of much faster RAM than typical mobile devices, so the size is somewhat negated (i.e., the speed of the RAM allows it to be much less of a concern as a bottleneck)?

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Another thing is that the device still has not been released. Depending on schedules, if further testing and evaluation proves the device to be undersized in terms of RAM, Motorola might still increase it to 1GB.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Don't see it being a problem. It looks like a great phone. My DX has 512 and its still fast. With it having a dual core processor there wont be much of a noticeable difference in speed then a phone with 1gb of ram without a dual core. Plus it will most likely help with battery life then if it had 1gb. Once rooted, overclocked and with 4g network speeds...that thing will be blazing fast.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Just found an article concerning the type of memory.

Pantech Vega X to be the first Android phone with desktop-grade DDR2 memory - Phone Arena

For what it's worth, here's their (PanTech's) statement:

Pantech says that just the presence of DDR2 memory makes the handset 1.5 times faster than phones with regular memory.

Of course, if that's true, then the size only being 512MB may in fact be negated, or further prevent it from being the bottleneck.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This ram wont be an issue unless this phone is overwhelming with bloat it will fly. But please VZW give us the option to uninstall bloat and stub apps without root

Killjoy

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys. Still have deciding to do. Hopefully by the time this phone is out there will be other options on the horizon that I might wait for.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Hmm if you continue to wait their will always be something newer and better I feel this is what I've been asking for plenty of memory higher than the normal resolution screen dualcore and good build quality and given the fact the dx Loos huge next to it with the same size screen is a bonus

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Well its a let down. For a top tier phone this a let down. What I've read this bear min for gingerbread to run.
I don't agree at all. Gingerbread runs really, really well on 512MB of RAM on my Incredible. It's definitely not the bare minimum to run the OS. I have no worries about the amount of RAM in the Bionic.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
512 MB isn't bad as far as Android goes. I think the 1GB is mostly to make sure the Linux build runs smooth with FF and Flash as opposed to needing it in Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy