Bionic Battery life with DDR2 SCRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
DDR2 SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Power savings are achieved primarily due to an improved manufacturing process through die shrinkage, resulting in a drop in operating voltage (1.8 V compared to DDR's 2.5 V). The lower memory clock frequency may also enable power reductions in applications that do not require the highest available data rates.
WIKI

Will the Bionic have some insane battery life as Motorola has been know to give on their High end packages. RAM running at 1.8 Volts instead of the 2.5 my X is used too? Will Nvidia GPUs and Tegra chips take away from this awesome Voltage at the bus on the Die? This looks real good!

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Not sure, but sounds plausible. But, it does have a pretty good size battery (or at least up from other devices).

I think though that there are so many tradeoffs here. The processor and memory bus speed and voltages, screen size and resolution, etc. If Motorola has done due diligence and weighed all of the concerns and created a design where I can get a full day's worth of moderate use, then I'm happy.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I would also be happy to get a days battery life with this. But I doubt it will last to long with 4g on

That's exactly what's going to be the killer. Forget the dual core and DDR2 RAM stuff, the 4G LTE is going to be the killer on the battery. A few people I know who have tested it out say it is horrifying how much battery life it sucks down, I hope it gets better quick.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I also read that the Tegra 2 chip is going to run at lower volts in addition to the RAM. I am curious about LTE battery life. As far as I know, that is only active with DATA, so having some parameters in place, and only pushing important email, I would think it could all balance out? The 1900 Mah stock battery is a beastly size, as the X extended battery is only that. I am not sold, however, I am very intrugued. I can't wait until this thing arrives to get some real world results and see if it is worth an upgrade or not.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure, but sounds plausible. But, it does have a pretty good size battery (or at least up from other devices).

I think though that there are so many tradeoffs here. The processor and memory bus speed and voltages, screen size and resolution, etc. If Motorola has done due diligence and weighed all of the concerns and created a design where I can get a full day's worth of moderate use, then I'm happy.

That is what gets me. Motorola has such a good reputation going for putting out devices that get you through the day without a struggle. Did they do their homework this time? Will this phone munch on LTE with these incredible chips running at phenomenally lower voltages than the 4G Evo and its small battery? Very interesting. If Motorola is staying true to its stick, then I expect a day on LTE, about the life of the X, and that would make me a happy camper.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
That is what gets me. Motorola has such a good reputation going for putting out devices that get you through the day without a struggle. Did they do their homework this time? Will this phone munch on LTE with these incredible chips running at phenomenally lower voltages than the 4G Evo and its small battery? Very interesting. If Motorola is staying true to its stick, then I expect a day on LTE, about the life of the X, and that would make me a happy camper.

A day on LTE would be a fantastic feat at this point I think, but if Motorola pulled it off then they deserve all the props in the world.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I will bet you that you wont see decent battery life with a 4g device until Gen 2 or three especially with how un optimized the chips are for it. Its good you can disable that radio but that's the trade off why have 4g if you can't use it or have to be constantly plugged in to use it. At this point I may switch and use Att hspa plus device and wait for lte to mature. Can't do that with VZW I need lte due yo their slow as molasses network

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
With the processor and memory being so incredibly fast you'll be able to do things much quicker which will mean less time using the phone (in some cases). I feel that companies should definitely do more research on making batteries with bigger power but smaller in size. With the way technology is advancing we'll definitely need it.

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Moto's design makes sense. Lower voltage RAM, Lower voltage Chips, More efficient RAM, and Dual Core CPU. They most likely did all of that to offset the drain of the 4g radio. Otherwise why put shuck a large battery? I think they thought it out and tried to get a day out of the device despite 4g.

This is what concerns me out the TB. Seems like HTC did nothing to improve or offset the battery drain.

ncbryan

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Moto's design makes sense. Lower voltage RAM, Lower voltage Chips, More efficient RAM, and Dual Core CPU. They most likely did all of that to offset the drain of the 4g radio. Otherwise why put shuck a large battery? I think they thought it out and tried to get a day out of the device despite 4g.

This is what concerns me out the TB. Seems like HTC did nothing to improve or offset the battery drain.

My thoughts exactly on HTC and their lack of attention to battery life! As a happy DINC user, I think I am going to wait and see real world results with both the Bionic and the HTC TB prior to making my decision on my first 4g phone.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
screen is usually the #1 power drain anyway so if this thing is rocking "qHD" pixels on a 4.3" screen then that's a lot of real estate to turn on and power up

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain or give me a link that does, why 4g is supposed to use so much more battery then 3g? I have the X right now and the battery life is about the best i've seen in a smart phone. my friends DINC goes dead in about 6 hours when mine is still @ 40-50%.(both with moderate usage)

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain or give me a link that does, why 4g is supposed to use so much more battery then 3g? I have the X right now and the battery life is about the best i've seen in a smart phone. my friends DINC goes dead in about 6 hours when mine is still @ 40-50%.(both with moderate usage)

I think it really boils down to three things:

1) New 4G network which isn't as widely rolled out as 3G so you are more likely to have a weaker 4G signal. When the signal is weaker the chip has to "work harder" (more power) to transmit and receive data effectively.

2) New 1st gen chips for 4G. Over the years chip makers have found better more efficient ways to do things for 3G chips. Eventually that will be the case for 4G chips as well, but it takes time.

3) Faster data speeds means you need a better SNR. You can't reduce Noise so you have to increase your signal power. (This is probably the least impacting factor right now)

edit: So its not so much that the 4G is inherently a great deal more power hungry than 3G. Its more a issue with technology/network maturity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC