Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Would you buy the Droid Bionic if it came with a keyboard?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 36.04%
  • No

71 63.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Where's the juice again?

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Would you buy the Droid Bionic if it came with a keyboard?

Would you buy the Droid Bionic if it came with a keyboard?
    Feel free to private message me at any time! I enjoy getting private messages.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Nope....Only like full touchscreen devices.

I am looking forward to going to a touchscreen only device....

When you consider it is already 35% fatter than the droid x adding a keyboard would make the phone very fat I would think. Granted the x is one of the thinest phones out there.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Nope, I plan on making sure the OG Droid is the last phone I ever have with a sliding Keyboard. I've grown out of that phase. Nothing against them though, some people really like them.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Default Yes

I very much liked the sliding keyboard on my Droid and now on my Droid 2. Perfect for clicking the links accurately on websites not thoughtfully delivered up to small devices. Used it a lot yesterday evening reading news from a German watch manufacturer's website. But when it comes time (later this year?) to get a new phone (4G Verizon), I suppose I may have to accept one without the slider. But I do use the screen keyboards when I type or search in Russian (Paragon free keyboard that switches between Latin & Cyrillic alphabets; free in the Market).

If you are talking about an qwerty keyboard. No I will not buy it.. I like it the way it is made. I don't need an physical keyboard.

ROM
    Stock

I would buy this phone with or without a keyboard.

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by obi5683 View Post
    I would buy this phone with or without a keyboard.
    I agree with this.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Nope....Only like full touchscreen devices.
    This

Absolutely. I hate onscreen keyboards. Not so much the function or feel of them, but more how it has to take up screen space. I like having my full screen while typing. Especially since I actually do work on my phone. (Lovelovelove dataviz documents to go) granted its usually more editing than heavy typing, but still.

I think a device that was a slider, but instead of a keyboard is another screen would make everyone happy. The other (half size) screen could funtion like an onscreen keyboard, but also be able to change to, say, a touchpad, or gamepad, or whatever a developer wants it to be.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

do a poll on something that actually matters like who will buy and who will not buy if locked bootloader. then, email results to idiots at motorola.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Yes yes. yes yes yes. yes yes. The specs on the bionic are making me drool but I hardcore hate touchscreens. Although if this phone lives up to the hype I may give the touchscreen experience another try.

But if it had a physical QWERTY slide out this would 100% be my next phone without a second thought.

I used to really love having a physical qwerty keyboard on my phone. I had a blackberry curve and then a storm, which made me miss my physical keyboard. Then I got the OG Droid and the physical keyboard was just terrible forcing me to use the virtual keyboard. After being spoiled by the auto-correction software I'll never go back to using a physical keyboard ever again.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

I like both for different reasons. Currently have D2 and I use the phy keyboard to "edit" my typing from the virtual keyboard. The D2 makes the text you are typing "hide" because of the suggestion bar taking the space up. When you adjust the keyboard height it just makes the suggestion bar bigger, not the text area.

The iPod touch virtual keyboard does not do this, I always see what I am typing. Same for my old Storm 1.

So I hope the Bionic works like the iPhone or the Storm virtual keyboard experience. With the larger screen size, I should be a happy camper with these big hands trying to type on the screen.

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    Absolutely. I hate onscreen keyboards. Not so much the function or feel of them, but more how it has to take up screen space. I like having my full screen while typing. Especially since I actually do work on my phone. (Lovelovelove dataviz documents to go) granted its usually more editing than heavy typing, but still.

I think a device that was a slider, but instead of a keyboard is another screen would make everyone happy. The other (half size) screen could funtion like an onscreen keyboard, but also be able to change to, say, a touchpad, or gamepad, or whatever a developer wants it to be.
    That could be an awesome device, like the Captivate's ticker but taking over the regular keyboard on the Droid...

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zero3187 View Post
    I used to really love having a physical qwerty keyboard on my phone. I had a blackberry curve and then a storm, which made me miss my physical keyboard. Then I got the OG Droid and the physical keyboard was just terrible forcing me to use the virtual keyboard. After being spoiled by the auto-correction software I'll never go back to using a physical keyboard ever again.
    Forgive my ignorance I'm new to droid (currently have a BB Bold) but does this auto correction software you speak of come with the droids or is it an app you have to download? That sounds like it could make the touchscreen experience very viable...

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    ROM
    LiquidICSv1.5 MR3V1 JMOD

Quote Originally Posted by jebulls View Post
    I am looking forward to going to a touchscreen only device....
    +1... I've had a few crappy flip-phones, and now a BB Tour. I'm tired of physical keys. Also my fingers are huge. It took me quite awhile to get used to the Tour's keyboard and I'm over it. I've fooled around with my brothers Droids (X, OG) and while the touchscreen weren't physically that much bigger, I much preferred it. Can't wait!
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

No phone is thick enough. And keyboards are so yesterday!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Where's the juice again?

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rewd View Post
    Forgive my ignorance I'm new to droid (currently have a BB Bold) but does this auto correction software you speak of come with the droids or is it an app you have to download? That sounds like it could make the touchscreen experience very viable...
    There are keyboards in the app store (such as Shiftkey) that has auto correction built in.
    Feel free to private message me at any time! I enjoy getting private messages.

In this case based on the specs alone of this phone a physical keyboard would not enter into my decision. I am use to a querty keyboard for the last two years with a BB Tour which is hard to argue with as far as keyboard. Having said that as i said a virtual keyboard would work for me as long as it is the right OVERALL device.
    ~Jag~
    Member Of Android Central & Mobile Nations!

I prefer a physical keyboard because I edit a lot of word and excel docs, as well as use the terminal emulator a lot.

Virtual keyboards take up half the screen when editing docs, and using the terminal emulator with a virtual KB there is no control -c or alt:, which makes it hard to use the vi editor.

I like both ways. Loved my original Droid and it's keyboard because sometimes it's easier to browse the web with a directional pad or buttons. I have a Droid X and a Droid Pro right now and I am using the Pro because the keyboard is a nice option to have. If the could have made the Bionic with a keyboard without making it fatter, that would have been awesome.

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

I'm looking for a touchscreen phone without a physical keyboard. Perhaps there will be a Droid 3 for those who want a slide out keyboard.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-05-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

When I got the droid I thought I would like the phy keyboard, after a short time stopped using it out of frustration. Went through swiftkey, to swype, which I like very much, and is easy to use. I don't see the need for the phy keyboard unless it's much better than on the droid, which I understand has been improved. Thinking my next phone may be the facinate.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast