Droid Bionic Early Upgrade

bigjotto316

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, quick question about the Bionic on Verizon. I bought the Droid X back in july when it was first released, and I love it. However I just recently found out that my city (erie,pa) will be one of the first with LTE coverage. My question is when the bionic drops in june/july do you think there will be any chance of upgrading early in order to take advantage of the new network. I've been a verizon customer for 8 years and have paid my bill on time EVERY month.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
don't expect special treatment just because you pay your bills on time. :) good luck with getting the Bionic ASAP--I'll be eligible long before it comes out.

bigjotto316

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Id just like to add that obviously a new contract wouldn't bother me at all, I love verizon and don't plan on ever leaving. Also, I know I wouldn't get the new every two discount. Just looking to not pay $600 for the phone. Thanks all!

bigjotto316

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
don't expect special treatment just because you pay your bills on time. :) good luck with getting the Bionic ASAP--I'll be eligible long before it comes out.

Dave- not saying I expect special treatment. Just putting the fact out there that I am a loyal, good customer that never once has had a blemish on my account. Being in great standing with the company certainly couldn't hurt, could it?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Dave- not saying I expect special treatment. Just putting the fact out there that I am a loyal, good customer that never once has had a blemish on my account. Being in great standing with the company certainly couldn't hurt, could it?

With auto payments being so prevalent, I don't think there are many "deadbeats" using Verizon services. Don't expect that you are "special". :)

bigjotto316

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Never once did I state I expect special treatment or that me paying on time is some kind of abnormal thing. Just stating the fact that me being in very good standing with the company all these years can only help my cause for getting an early upgrade. I really would only like to be able to utilize the LTE network and if there was some way I could with my x I wouldn't even be considering a switch

Last edited by a moderator:

TinGodz

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Apparently you must just like being an ass. Never once did I state I expect special treatment or that me paying on time is some kind of abnormal thing. Just stating the fact that me being in very good standing with the company all these years can only help my cause for getting an early upgrade. I really would only like to be able to utilize the LTE network and if there was some way I could with my x I wouldn't even be considering a switch

Dude was just telling you that the fat cats and their companies don't care about you, so your loyalty means nothing to them. Money talks, loyalty walks, basically.

Last edited:
Reactions: load97

bigjotto316

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
This is getting way away from what the original post was intended for. I understand that loyalty means nothing to these people. By no means do I think that I deserve special treatment or anything of the sort. The only point I was making with that was that if someone was making late payments or a payment behind ect I'm sure that they would be laughed at when discussing an early upgrade. You would think verizon would want to keep around people that have been good customers for extended periods of time. I want to utilize their "premium" LTE service that will possibly carry a higher fee with it which in turn equals more money to verizon. I've already stated that a new contract is expected and there is no problem with it. Me being locked into a new 2 year agreement = more money for verizon in the long run.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Bigjotto, I am in the exact same boat as you (same carrier, phone, and even purchase date for my DX), and I've been their customer in excellent standing for the past 20 years. I'd love to be able to get LTE as well, but I really don't expect anything from them. After all, they are in it for the $$$. There does not seem to be many companies that care about their customers' loyalty anymore, unfortunately. :/

bigjotto316

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks LMO. Unfortunately I fear that I'll have to wait for LTE as well. I just wanted to know if anyone has successfully upgraded early. I thought with the rollout of LTE and new phones supporting it that verizon might want to get as many early adopters on board as possible. After all we would be signing new contracts as well as paying a premium fee for LTE as well possibly.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
No more warnings about language or name calling.

OP your best bet is to be be pay outright for the bionic an sell the dx on what or something.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
As I understand if your at your 1year mark you should be to upgrade early. what we are losing is the 50$ credit.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes, verizon offers early upgrades when they role out something major, like lte, but all we could do is guess about it. That's going to be your only hope. Verizon is so strong in the marketplace, they never look at individual factors, like how long you've been with them. I've had a family plan with 3 to 5 lines for over 15 years and they never make any concessions when I want an early upgrade. You could always add a new line.

seabass

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
If you upgraded back in July then you should be able to upgrade in 10 months from that date whether you signed a 1 or 2-year contract unless I am missing something. Verizon is changing their policy, but I'd assume this wouldn't affect you if you're already under contract.

bigjotto316

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Apologies...wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. Saying someone "is being an ass" is PG material in most circles, and not really considered "name calling". Won't happen again mods.

TinGodz

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is getting way away from what the original post was intended for. I understand that loyalty means nothing to these people. By no means do I think that I deserve special treatment or anything of the sort. The only point I was making with that was that if someone was making late payments or a payment behind ect I'm sure that they would be laughed at when discussing an early upgrade. You would think verizon would want to keep around people that have been good customers for extended periods of time. I want to utilize their "premium" LTE service that will possibly carry a higher fee with it which in turn equals more money to verizon. I've already stated that a new contract is expected and there is no problem with it. Me being locked into a new 2 year agreement = more money for verizon in the long run.

For some reason, you do not seem to be getting it. Dave was not being hostile when he answered your question. I was not arguing the validity or logic of your case when I answered your question. We were simply answering your question and explaining said answer.

So, to put it bluntly, the answer is NO unless you had an early upgrade prior to 16 Jan. You can make a case and argue against the reps. on how or why you deserve an early upgrade or whatever it is you want, but it'll only fall on deaf ears. VZW does not care about its existing customers as most cell companies don't. They only care about attracting new customers to lock them in for a couple of years. This is why everything is always targeted at new customers.

Reactions: 1812dave

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, you do not seem to be getting it. Dave was not being hostile when he answered your question. I was not arguing the validity or logic of your case when I answered your question. We were simply answering your question and explaining said answer.

So, to put it bluntly, the answer is NO unless you had an early upgrade prior to 16 Jan. You can make a case and argue against the reps. on how or why you deserve an early upgrade or whatever it is you want, but it'll only fall on deaf ears. VZW does not care about its existing customers as most cell companies don't. They only care about attracting new customers to lock them in for a couple of years. This is why everything is always targeted at new customers.

WOW! That's it in a nutshell--existing customers are "second class citizens" in the eyes of Verizon--they want new blood--hopefully, clients coming from another carrier. Incentives to stay with Verizon (IMO) are it's great network--NOT Verizon's treatment of me as a long term customer. The guy who just walked into a V store for the first time is the one they are out to impress. period.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
WOW! That's it in a nutshell--existing customers are "second class citizens" in the eyes of Verizon--they want new blood--hopefully, clients coming from another carrier. Incentives to stay with Verizon (IMO) are it's great network--NOT Verizon's treatment of me as a long term customer. The guy who just walked into a V store for the first time is the one they are out to impress. period.

Verizon is not alone in this. All companies that I've ever worked with also work this way - the new customer is always treated better than the current, loyal, and long-term customer. Ever had DirecTV? :(

That said, like what was stated before, Verizon has allowed early upgrades for "special" releases. I think they did the same for the DX last year.