Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    p08757's Avatar
    ** Superhero **

    Posts
    1,542 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,038 Global Posts

    Default Hello Bionic!!!

    Since my quest for a 1 year contract iPhone was crushed, I'm now waiting for the Droid Bionic!!!

    This seems to be the next "Super Phone" that will be better than my trusty DroidX.

    I can't wait, and will be watching this forum closely.
  2. #2  
    Cyber Warrior's Avatar
    Robots Will Kill

    Posts
    8,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

    Default

    I'm also doing the same... no problems with the DX, its a great phone but for the next best great thing....I'm looking forward to the Bionic.
  3. #3  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,537 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    Or waIt for DroidX2 that rumor is coming soon.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    p08757's Avatar
    ** Superhero **

    Posts
    1,542 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,038 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Or waIt for DroidX2 that rumor is coming soon.
    That may be a good choice as well.... Choices, Choices, Choices.....
  5. #5  

    Default

    The DX2 will be 3G. That is what I am hearing.. I am going to wait on The Bionic. Also this is what someone told me about getting the Bionic which will be my next phone. What do you guys think?

    This what was said:

    I think the point is that yes, when Honeycomb comes out for phones, the Bionic will be able to finally flex it's muscles. But by the time that happens, the Bionic's replacement will be out or about to come out, that will be even better.

    There is something to be said about waiting for the software to catch up before you invest in the hardware. Because either the next generation of phones will be out, so that when you are finally able to take advantage of your Bionic, it will already be last year's hardware, or, the price on it will have dropped considerably because it is a 7 month old phone or whatever.

    If you get the Bionic at launch, you will be paying top dollar for a technology that you cannot actually use, and by the time you can, there will be something better available for the same price you paid for the Bionic.

    So my thought is to either wait until Honeycomb comes out before seeing what the dual-core landscape looks like, or, if you absolutely have to get a phone now and renew a 2 year contract, then get the Bionic...

    This is like when dual-core CPU's first came out for the PC. WinXP wasn't really optimized for them, and very few games could take advantage of them. So you actually got better benchmark score and frame rates in games by having a faster single core, than the dual-core. It was not until a year or two later, that Quake4 released a dual-core patch that let it actually get the performance boost, but by then, the dual-core chip you bought the year or so before, was already outdated...
  6. #6  
    DJBeanPole's Avatar

    Posts
    871 Posts
    Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    ROM
    LiquidICSv1.5 MR3V1 JMOD

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    The DX2 will be 3G. That is what I am hearing.. I am going to wait on The Bionic. Also this is what someone told me about getting the Bionic which will be my next phone. What do you guys think?

    This what was said:

    I think the point is that yes, when Honeycomb comes out for phones, the Bionic will be able to finally flex it's muscles. But by the time that happens, the Bionic's replacement will be out or about to come out, that will be even better.

    There is something to be said about waiting for the software to catch up before you invest in the hardware. Because either the next generation of phones will be out, so that when you are finally able to take advantage of your Bionic, it will already be last year's hardware, or, the price on it will have dropped considerably because it is a 7 month old phone or whatever.

    If you get the Bionic at launch, you will be paying top dollar for a technology that you cannot actually use, and by the time you can, there will be something better available for the same price you paid for the Bionic.

    So my thought is to either wait until Honeycomb comes out before seeing what the dual-core landscape looks like, or, if you absolutely have to get a phone now and renew a 2 year contract, then get the Bionic...

    This is like when dual-core CPU's first came out for the PC. WinXP wasn't really optimized for them, and very few games could take advantage of them. So you actually got better benchmark score and frame rates in games by having a faster single core, than the dual-core. It was not until a year or two later, that Quake4 released a dual-core patch that let it actually get the performance boost, but by then, the dual-core chip you bought the year or so before, was already outdated...
    Nice post. Makes me reconsider my options. I won't be up for looking for a new phone until end of April/beginning of May... so I'll have to see whats out around that time... or hold out for longer based on rumors
  7. #7  
    DolfanCole's Avatar

    Posts
    1,190 Posts
    ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    The DX2 will be 3G. That is what I am hearing.. I am going to wait on The Bionic. Also this is what someone told me about getting the Bionic which will be my next phone. What do you guys think?

    This what was said:

    I think the point is that yes, when Honeycomb comes out for phones, the Bionic will be able to finally flex it's muscles. But by the time that happens, the Bionic's replacement will be out or about to come out, that will be even better.

    There is something to be said about waiting for the software to catch up before you invest in the hardware. Because either the next generation of phones will be out, so that when you are finally able to take advantage of your Bionic, it will already be last year's hardware, or, the price on it will have dropped considerably because it is a 7 month old phone or whatever.

    If you get the Bionic at launch, you will be paying top dollar for a technology that you cannot actually use, and by the time you can, there will be something better available for the same price you paid for the Bionic.

    So my thought is to either wait until Honeycomb comes out before seeing what the dual-core landscape looks like, or, if you absolutely have to get a phone now and renew a 2 year contract, then get the Bionic...

    This is like when dual-core CPU's first came out for the PC. WinXP wasn't really optimized for them, and very few games could take advantage of them. So you actually got better benchmark score and frame rates in games by having a faster single core, than the dual-core. It was not until a year or two later, that Quake4 released a dual-core patch that let it actually get the performance boost, but by then, the dual-core chip you bought the year or so before, was already outdated...
    I was sold on the Bionic's hardware. But comments like these are what is making me seriously considering getting the TBolt on a 1-yr contract and getting the Bionic or whatever else that may be out at the end of the year that can take full advantage of the OS.
  8. #8  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar

    Posts
    3,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    The DX2 will be 3G. That is what I am hearing.. I am going to wait on The Bionic. Also this is what someone told me about getting the Bionic which will be my next phone. What do you guys think?

    This what was said:

    I think the point is that yes, when Honeycomb comes out for phones, the Bionic will be able to finally flex it's muscles. But by the time that happens, the Bionic's replacement will be out or about to come out, that will be even better.

    There is something to be said about waiting for the software to catch up before you invest in the hardware. Because either the next generation of phones will be out, so that when you are finally able to take advantage of your Bionic, it will already be last year's hardware, or, the price on it will have dropped considerably because it is a 7 month old phone or whatever.

    If you get the Bionic at launch, you will be paying top dollar for a technology that you cannot actually use, and by the time you can, there will be something better available for the same price you paid for the Bionic.

    So my thought is to either wait until Honeycomb comes out before seeing what the dual-core landscape looks like, or, if you absolutely have to get a phone now and renew a 2 year contract, then get the Bionic...

    This is like when dual-core CPU's first came out for the PC. WinXP wasn't really optimized for them, and very few games could take advantage of them. So you actually got better benchmark score and frame rates in games by having a faster single core, than the dual-core. It was not until a year or two later, that Quake4 released a dual-core patch that let it actually get the performance boost, but by then, the dual-core chip you bought the year or so before, was already outdated...
    +1 to everything said here. This is exactly why right *now*, I feel dual-core is a little overrated. It's simply because it's being put on top of software that can't use it to it's potential. Think of it like throwing 6GB of RAM into a computer running a 32-bit version of Microsoft Windows. It will only be able to utilize about half of that. Even with Gingerbread, the full potential of the dual-core platform can't be realized.

    New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
    Thanked by:
    Xuranu 
  9. #9  
    meyer's Avatar

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    ROM
    Orville Redenbacher

    Default

    Exactly. People are waiting for 4g/LTE phones but most people won't even be able to use it. I was actually one of those people until I really thought about it.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    +1 to everything said here. This is exactly why right *now*, I feel dual-core is a little overrated. It's simply because it's being put on top of software that can't use it to it's potential. Think of it like throwing 6GB of RAM into a computer running a 32-bit version of Microsoft Windows. It will only be able to utilize about half of that. Even with Gingerbread, the full potential of the dual-core platform can't be realized.
    Chris what do you think of the new 2.4 upgrade with Indications that Android 2.4 will leap frog over 2.3 in order to provide dual core support for the phones that are coming out with dual processors - or, more importantly, support for dual-core apps on single-core devices (which they wouldn't work with otherwise on 2.3). I think it shows that there is Android support of dual core apps at the very least?

    Android 2.4 coming April, leaving 2.3 dead on arrival - not Ice Cream - Pocket-lint
  11. #11  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar

    Posts
    3,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I've heard a lot about this and if it turns out to be true, it's a smart move for Google. It allows for them to incorporate some of Honeycomb's core changes (like full support for multi-core processors) without it being a "major" release, especially if 2.4 is going to be to Gingerbread what 2.1 was to Eclair. (both 2.0 and 2.1 were called Eclair).

    New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  12. #12  

    Default

    ive got a blkberry tour,and i want to so bad upgrade,however reading wisdom like this makes me stop.i want to make a very wise choice,cos when i sign on that line,and on the 15th im stuck like chuck!!i listin to u guys,cos you all help me make wise choices-thxz
  13. #13  
    The_Engine's Avatar
    Super Genius

    Posts
    322 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    T Shed 1.6, 605.9 rdo

    Default

    Interesting. NVIDIA has come out and said that android handles multi threaded tasks well and many apps so the same. You may buy got the full benefit of dual core but look at the reviews and benchmarks on the lg Optimus 2x. That has the same chip as bionic. It is very powerful. So the dual core will give you some juice abd will scale as the OS and more apps are updated to take more advantage of it.

    Of course it is first generation so who knows.
  14. #14  

    Default

    The dual-core isn't the big reason I'm waiting for the Bionic.... Its really about LTE and the qHD display.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Issemann View Post
    The dual-core isn't the big reason I'm waiting for the Bionic.... Its really about LTE and the qHD display.
    Same here; I live in Pittsburgh where LTE is already up and running. One core, two core, as long as it runs FAST and smooth and looks great doing it!
    Cory
  16. #16  
    DJBeanPole's Avatar

    Posts
    871 Posts
    Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    ROM
    LiquidICSv1.5 MR3V1 JMOD

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    I've heard a lot about this and if it turns out to be true, it's a smart move for Google. It allows for them to incorporate some of Honeycomb's core changes (like full support for multi-core processors) without it being a "major" release, especially if 2.4 is going to be to Gingerbread what 2.1 was to Eclair. (both 2.0 and 2.1 were called Eclair).
    I'm calling it Honeybread!

Posting Permissions