Is the RAM going to be good for this phone???

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Neither of the sites state DDR2. It just states the amount of RAM. In other words...generic info.

This does not make sense at all. Thunderbolt is not Motorola and Bionic does not have 768MB.

You might want to read my post again and links:

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/ne...izon-iphone-4-htc-thunderbolt-showdown-3392/:
As far as the RAM memory goes, Motorola Droid Bionic will come with 512MB DDR2, HTC Thunderbolt has been gifted with 768MB of RAM while the iPhone 4 has, as expected, ?only? 512MB RAM.

You notice how it points out that Bionic has 512MB DDR2 and it only states 768MB for Thunderbolt and 512MB for iPhone 4...meaning TB and iPhone4 uses normal DDR. If Thunderbolt was using DDR2, it would of stated it or the sentence would of tied it in with the Bionic.

Here is a snippet from http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/news-gadgets/motorola-droid-bionic-512mb-ram-isue-3324/:
First of all the Motorola Droid Bionic, just like Motorola Atrix 4G, will not use the RAM technology most phones have been using lately ( Mobile DDR ? a type of DDR SDRAM with lower supply voltage ).

Just saying ###MB of RAM is just a generic term. It does not state the actual RAM used. As noted above, most phones have been using Mobile DDR. Bionic uses DDR2 similar to that found in the computers. Thunderbolt is single core where as Bionic is dual-core.

iPhone4 has 512MB but its DDR. Bionic has 512MB as well but its DDR2 and its hell of a lot faster.

In my opinion that is not a respectable blog If it is not Android Central, Engadget, BGR, or even Droidlife. Show me it on any of these sites. 1 site when all others say otherwise is not proof. Even go to Verizon they will tell you that it does not have DDR Ram.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion that is not a respectable blog If it is not Android Central, Engadget, BGR, or even Droidlife. Show me it on any of these sites. 1 site when all others say otherwise is not proof. Even go to Verizon they will tell you that it does not have DDR Ram.

The point is that the current standard of memory type (until the Atrix and Bionic) has been DDR RAM. And since it's the standard, companies don't make the distinction of what type of memory when stating the amount of memory in a device. For instance, HTC says there's 768MB RAM, but they don't state what type (the term RAM is just referring to the random access memory, not the type -- it could be DDR, DDR2, SDRAM, flash, etc.). HTC could just have easily said 768MB DDR RAM and they would be saying exactly the same thing since DDR is the current standard for mobile phones.

Now for the Atrix and Bionic, there's been a technology advancement. So, there's a need (and benefit) of pointing out the type of RAM and making the clear distinction between it and the current standard. Thus, Motorola says that there's 512MB DDR2 RAM rather than just stating 512MB RAM.

Although not specific to this discussion, check out this article on Anandtech. They list the type of memory for devices such as the Galaxy Tab, Droid X, Evo, and Fascinate. Each of these phones have LPDDR1 (low power double date rate) RAM. But, if you look up these devices on Verizon, Sprint, Motorola, or HTC, they'll just say 512MB RAM (or whatever the specific amount of memory is in the device). They don't say 512MB DDR RAM even though that's the clearer distinction that indicates the specific type of RAM.

Samsung Galaxy Tab - The AnandTech Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Unfortunately I can't find a similar specification on the exact type of memory used in the Thunderbolt. I suspect though that it's the same as the Evo, which is LPDDR1, or just DDR.

Droid hungry

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
correct me if im wrong but i thought that the atrix was although running 1GB of RAM it isnt DDR2. I thought only the bionic had the DDR2 RAM.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The point is that the current standard of memory type (until the Atrix and Bionic) has been DDR RAM. And since it's the standard, companies don't make the distinction of what type of memory when stating the amount of memory in a device. For instance, HTC says there's 768MB RAM, but they don't state what type (the term RAM is just referring to the random access memory, not the type -- it could be DDR, DDR2, SDRAM, flash, etc.). HTC could just have easily said 768MB DDR RAM and they would be saying exactly the same thing since DDR is the current standard for mobile phones.

Now for the Atrix and Bionic, there's been a technology advancement. So, there's a need (and benefit) of pointing out the type of RAM and making the clear distinction between it and the current standard. Thus, Motorola says that there's 512MB DDR2 RAM rather than just stating 512MB RAM.

Although not specific to this discussion, check out this article on Anandtech. They list the type of memory for devices such as the Galaxy Tab, Droid X, Evo, and Fascinate. Each of these phones have LPDDR1 (low power double date rate) RAM. But, if you look up these devices on Verizon, Sprint, Motorola, or HTC, they'll just say 512MB RAM (or whatever the specific amount of memory is in the device). They don't say 512MB DDR RAM even though that's the clearer distinction that indicates the specific type of RAM.

Samsung Galaxy Tab - The AnandTech Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Unfortunately I can't find a similar specification on the exact type of memory used in the Thunderbolt. I suspect though that it's the same as the Evo, which is LPDDR1, or just DDR.

All the info I got from my contact says That it is 768MB Flash RAM what ever that mean. But lets get back on Topic which is the Bionic.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
All the info I got from my contact says That it is 768MB Flash RAM what ever that mean. But lets get back on Topic which is the Bionic.

Well, hate to say it, but your contact is wrong. Flash RAM is much too slow to keep up with the CPU. In addition to the 768MB DDR RAM, there's 8GB of NAND/Flash memory that the device uses for storage. Maybe that's where you contact is getting the Flash reference.

For the Bionic ... According to Anandtech, the Bionic has 16GB of NAND/Flash memory onboard. This is obviously double that of the Thunderbolt. I don't know how or if the operating system uses this (for instance, like a page file in Windows) or if it's just available to the applications. If the OS uses it, this could potentially help the performance of the phone as well if it's used properly.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, hate to say it, but your contact is wrong. Flash RAM is much too slow to keep up with the CPU. In addition to the 768MB DDR RAM, there's 8GB of NAND/Flash memory that the device uses for storage. Maybe that's where you contact is getting the Flash reference.

For the Bionic ... According to Anandtech, the Bionic has 16GB of NAND/Flash memory onboard. This is obviously double that of the Thunderbolt. I don't know how or if the operating system uses this (for instance, like a page file in Windows) or if it's just available to the applications. If the OS uses it, this could potentially help the performance of the phone as well if it's used properly.

He tested the Phone. He works for the Cooperate office I will believe him because he has never been wrong before when it came to the release of the phone... He told me things the the Panda confirmed. Show me a Spec sheet from HTC that says otherwise. Then I will believe you but all info from him and major blogs say it is just 768MB Ram only not DDR2.

Anyway it is not a major thing to me because I do not want the TB. I want the Bionic..

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
He tested the Phone. He works for the Cooperate office I will believe him because he has never been wrong before when it came to the release of the phone... He told me things the the Panda confirmed. Show me a Spec sheet from HTC that says otherwise. Then I will believe you but all info from him and major blogs say it is just 768MB Ram only not DDR2.

Anyway it is not a major thing to me because I do not want the TB. I want the Bionic..

I didn't say it was DDR2, I've said that it's just DDR. There's a big difference between the two. And only saying "RAM" doesn't indicate the type of RAM.

I can't find a spec sheet from HTC any where that indicates the type, just the amount. And I haven't seen any blogs, much less "major" ones say that it's not DDR. The only thing I see from HTC and other sites is that it has "768MB RAM", which, again, does not indicate the type. And the type has been the whole point of discussion.

If you have any sources, whether it be HTC or other blogs, that indicate the type and not just the amount, then I'd be happy to see them. But, since I haven't seen anything that indicates the type, I have to go by what all other mobile phones currently have (with the exception of the Atrix and Bionic), including the Evo, Fascinate, Nexus S, etc., which is DDR RAM.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why the RAM is such a big deal except for "it matters." I think the initial "512" seems low, but when the marketing shows up, they will tout DDR2. Even though all others won't have this premium feature, they will still run android fine. The title of this thread should be, "will all androids seem slow once the bionic with the chiefly ram hits the seen?" Yeah~

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why the RAM is such a big deal except for "it matters." I think the initial "512" seems low, but when the marketing shows up, they will tout DDR2. Even though all others won't have this premium feature, they will still run android fine. The title of this thread should be, "will all androids seem slow once the bionic with the chiefly ram hits the seen?" Yeah~

Well, that's the hope, but so many people are caught up on the amount of memory and only compare that to other phones. Obviously the DDR2 memory is faster (and is more efficient), but it's still somewhat unknown as to how it will compare quantitatively to others on the market.

With that said though, early Quadrant scores on the Bionic at CES did have it outperforming the Thunderbolt. And that's with early an software port. It's obviously unclear as to whether the performance gain was due to the CPU or memory type or both. But, the bottom line is, as you say, it's fast. :)

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I didn't say it was DDR2, I've said that it's just DDR. There's a big difference between the two. And only saying "RAM" doesn't indicate the type of RAM.

I can't find a spec sheet from HTC any where that indicates the type, just the amount. And I haven't seen any blogs, much less "major" ones say that it's not DDR. The only thing I see from HTC and other sites is that it has "768MB RAM", which, again, does not indicate the type. And the type has been the whole point of discussion.

If you have any sources, whether it be HTC or other blogs, that indicate the type and not just the amount, then I'd be happy to see them. But, since I haven't seen anything that indicates the type, I have to go by what all other mobile phones currently have (with the exception of the Atrix and Bionic), including the Evo, Fascinate, Nexus S, etc., which is DDR RAM.

I guess we agree to disagree then. Which is fine with me..

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm in agreement here. The laptop dock is a gimmick - but what if they create other docks that might be more useful? I would definitely love a tablet dock!!

I used a Galaxy Tab for 2 weeks before returning it to Verizon. When the rep asked why I was returning it, I told him that I couldn't find a practical use for it. I checked email, read some news, browsed the web and read a book a bit each night before going to bed. The larger screen was great. But other than that, it stayed on my night stand each day.

The other annoying thing about a tablet was I had to maintain another device. Awful. I convinced myself that what I really wanted was a phone with a larger screen (a.k.a. the Bionic). But having an option to dock it into a 7 or 8 inch tablet would be great!

Ask and you shall receive!! Check out this article which talks about the tablet dock I was hoping for above...

y2bandit

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

You and me are on the same page as we're trying to point out that the RAM is DDR where as the Bionic and Atrix is DDR2...DDR and DDR2 are two different RAM. Even though Bionic is 512MB DDR2 where as TB is 768MB DDR. It seems Preach2k doesn't read too clearly.

Just because the number is higher, doesn't mean its faster. But whatevers. Even though Preach2k's source may be correct majority of the time, people do make mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674