Is the RAM going to be good for this phone???

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I know the Atix has 1gb RAM and still has the same stuff as the Bionic like DDR2 and dual core.

Is the 512mb DDR2 going to handle this phone?

Of course this is just people's opinions (which I'm looking for) but I just want to feel REALLY good about choosing this phone when it releases.

Your thoughts???

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Tough to tell at this point. However, some posters have commented that the Atrix has 1GB RAM mainly for the dock. Some have even said that 512MB of the 1GB is totally dedicated to the dock, but I don't think that's true.

My thoughts are that it will be fine. It's a faster RAM than what current phones have. So, while it's less, it's also faster. And thus, the potential for it to be the bottleneck is not what one would normally attribute to that amount.

Reactions: AllenRulz

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Tough to tell at this point. However, some posters have commented that the Atrix has 1GB RAM mainly for the dock. Some have even said that 512MB of the 1GB is totally dedicated to the dock, but I don't think that's true.

My thoughts are that it will be fine. It's a faster RAM than what current phones have. So, while it's less, it's also faster. And thus, the potential for it to be the bottleneck is not what one would normally attribute to that amount.

Well at the AT&T store that is what the rep told me and they had a printout of what to tell the customers. 512ddr Ram for the Laptop dock and 512ddrram for the phone. Besides do you think that yo are going to use the full 512 of ram. I doubt it..

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Well at the AT&T store that is what the rep told me and they had a printout of what to tell the customers. 512ddr Ram for the Laptop dock and 512ddrram for the phone. Besides do you think that yo are going to use the full 512 of ram. I doubt it..

If that is true then I'm scared about the Bionic RAM. Bionic has ONLY 512MB and they said it will have that Webtop thing coming soon. So if it needs that 512MB on the Atrix, how the hell is it going to work on the Bionic???

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

I'm just thinking that it's partially correct. I don't doubt that the extra is used for the dock when it's docked. What I question is whether it uses the full 1GB when it's not. I think that it does (although I have nothing to go on other than suspicion). So, in that sense, it's not that 512MB is totally dedicated for the dock.

Also, as software gets more and more complicated, there's more multitasking, etc., I think 512MB could very be used up, and rather quickly. Much like the famous quote from Bill Gates when he said that you'll never need more than 640K of memory.

If that is true then I'm scared about the Bionic RAM. Bionic has ONLY 512MB and they said it will have that Webtop thing coming soon. So if it needs that 512MB on the Atrix, how the hell is it going to work on the Bionic???

I thought I heard that everything after the Bionic was going to have the dock. I didn't think the Bionic was getting it. Could very well be wrong here. But, I wouldn't get the dock anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm just thinking that it's partially correct. I don't doubt that the extra is used for the dock when it's docked. What I question is whether it uses the full 1GB when it's not. I think that it does (although I have nothing to go on other than suspicion). So, in that sense, it's not that 512MB is totally dedicated for the dock.

Also, as software gets more and more complicated, there's more multitasking, etc., I think 512MB could very be used up, and rather quickly. Much like the famous quote from Bill Gates when he said that you'll never need more than 640K of memory.

I thought I heard that everything after the Bionic was going to have the dock. I didn't think the Bionic was getting it. Could very well be wrong here. But, I wouldn't get the dock anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

The phone by it self work fine. But I am not a fan of the laptop dock. When I was messing with the phone it was fast and very responsive. but once i put it on the laptop Dock it slowed down a lot. To me it is just a gimmick not worth getting. you can do more with a laptop then you can ever do with the laptop dock.

Reactions: DolfanCole

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
well thats why i have...well a laptop. I don't plan on using my bionic as a laptop. Not too worried about the ram since yes its been said DDR2. Like the guy above me said I too think that the dock is just a jeewiz gimick to get more money out of us.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Agree with Preach2k and trailblazen, I think it's just more of a gimmick than anything else. Is it a phone or is it a computer? Hmmm ... it's a dang phone!

y2bandit

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Bionic = 512MB DDR2

DDR2 is faster than DDR. Moto has said that the RAM used in Bionic is what is used for computers. Do a google search and read up on it rather than assuming and guessing.

Thunderbolt uses 756MB DDR

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Bionic = 512MB DDR2

DDR2 is faster than DDR. Moto has said that the RAM used in Bionic is what is used for computers. Do a google search and read up on it rather than assuming and guessing.

Thunderbolt uses 756MB DDR

Sorry but you are Mistaken The Thunderbolt does not have DDR..

y2bandit

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Forums and news I read all point to DDR and not DDR2 - http://forum.androidcentral.com/567743-post10.html

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/ne...rizon-iphone-4-htc-thunderbolt-showdown-3392/:
As far as the RAM memory goes, Motorola Droid Bionic will come with 512MB DDR2, HTC Thunderbolt has been gifted with 768MB of RAM while the iPhone 4 has, as expected, “only” 512MB RAM.

Here is a snippet from http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/news-gadgets/motorola-droid-bionic-512mb-ram-isue-3324/:
First of all the Motorola Droid Bionic, just like Motorola Atrix 4G, will not use the RAM technology most phones have been using lately ( Mobile DDR – a type of DDR SDRAM with lower supply voltage ).

Also, the Atrix is running 2 OS' when docked. I don't think the Bionic does.

Opps and its 768MB not 756MB

Last edited:

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
If you take your Atrix and go to Running Services.. sometimes it'll have up to 400MB available.. that would indicate the Android OS has full use of all 1GB because I've never seen anything remotely close to 400MB available on my DroidX, which also has 512MB ram.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

My recollection is that the Thunderbolt does have DDR RAM, just not DDR2 like the Bionic. I'll see if I can find the links that say this. But, the general point IIRC is that most, if not all, recent phones have DDR RAM. It's the Atrix and Bionic that have become the first with DDR2.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Agree with Preach2k and trailblazen, I think it's just more of a gimmick than anything else. Is it a phone or is it a computer? Hmmm ... it's a dang phone!

I'm in agreement here. The laptop dock is a gimmick - but what if they create other docks that might be more useful? I would definitely love a tablet dock!!

I used a Galaxy Tab for 2 weeks before returning it to Verizon. When the rep asked why I was returning it, I told him that I couldn't find a practical use for it. I checked email, read some news, browsed the web and read a book a bit each night before going to bed. The larger screen was great. But other than that, it stayed on my night stand each day.

The other annoying thing about a tablet was I had to maintain another device. Awful. I convinced myself that what I really wanted was a phone with a larger screen (a.k.a. the Bionic). But having an option to dock it into a 7 or 8 inch tablet would be great!

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Those don't really tell what type of RAM though. They only say the amount. RAM is a very generic term. It could be NAND (Flash) RAM, DDR RAM, DDR2 RAM, etc. I think when you see DDR2 RAM, they are making the distinction from previous hardware implementations by actually specifying the type.

Not only that all of the Blogs I read said 768MB of Ram DDR2 are only on Motorola as of right now.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I think my Liberty X is fast but my TB is a step or two smoother/faster. Even with all of the crap that HTC/Verizon Load on it. As long as the Bionic is as smooth/fast as the TB I'll be satisfied.

I was surprised reading about the lag some saw at CES - hopefully that was pre-release/beta software causing the lag.

y2bandit

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Neither of the sites state DDR2. It just states the amount of RAM. In other words...generic info.
Not only that all of the Blogs I read said 768MB of Ram DDR2 are only on Motorola as of right now.
This does not make sense at all. Thunderbolt is not Motorola and Bionic does not have 768MB.

You might want to read my post again and links:

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/ne...izon-iphone-4-htc-thunderbolt-showdown-3392/:
As far as the RAM memory goes, Motorola Droid Bionic will come with 512MB DDR2, HTC Thunderbolt has been gifted with 768MB of RAM while the iPhone 4 has, as expected, “only” 512MB RAM.

You notice how it points out that Bionic has 512MB DDR2 and it only states 768MB for Thunderbolt and 512MB for iPhone 4...meaning TB and iPhone4 uses normal DDR. If Thunderbolt was using DDR2, it would of stated it or the sentence would of tied it in with the Bionic.

Here is a snippet from http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/news-gadgets/motorola-droid-bionic-512mb-ram-isue-3324/:
First of all the Motorola Droid Bionic, just like Motorola Atrix 4G, will not use the RAM technology most phones have been using lately ( Mobile DDR – a type of DDR SDRAM with lower supply voltage ).

Just saying ###MB of RAM is just a generic term. It does not state the actual RAM used. As noted above, most phones have been using Mobile DDR. Bionic uses DDR2 similar to that found in the computers. Thunderbolt is single core where as Bionic is dual-core.

iPhone4 has 512MB but its DDR. Bionic has 512MB as well but its DDR2 and its hell of a lot faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21