Is DDR2 going to cause a problem with programs?

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
AC just posted an article about FF4 and it's requirements. Firefox 4 release candidate now available on Android Market | Android Central This got me wondering about the Bionic's DDR2 RAM. FF4 requires 512 of RAM. Now basically DDR2 is "about" twice as fast as DDR and uses less power than 1 GB of regualr DDR RAM.

My question is, if programs get requirments that go past 512 RAM, will the Bionic still show them as compatible? Will the market take into account the difference for the DDR2 or will it just see the number and assume that the Bionic does not have enough RAM?

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting question. My general feeling is that memory requirements put out by software developers/manufacturers are just WAGs for the most part. Many times the requirements are set to ensure that only a "modern" device would qualify, and thus the performance of the software is not adversely affected. And with that, my guess is that the Bionic would be fine, but we'll have to see how this plays out.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Any program written to go beyond 512 and run android is going to have tumbling weeds rolling through it as that is cutting over 99% of the prescribed market. I can't see a dev running a script to "check ram type" before program will run. I would not worry about that. The bionic will be the last one to choke. I wonder why you ask that about the bionic, when the phones that will be cut off are likely 2.1 and earlier devices on less than 512. Good question though ...

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Any program written to go beyond 512 and run android is going to have tumbling weeds rolling through it as that is cutting over 99% of the prescribed market. I can't forsee A dev running a script to "check ram type" before program will run. I would not worry about that.

I agree!!! I do not see it being a problem..

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well I doubt it would be a problem any time soon, but I also remember when I had a 8 GB hard drive on my home PC and we could not conceive ever needing any more memory than that. Anyone remember the PC game Crysis? When that came out the requirments were so high most computers could not run it even on low settings.

Hopefully this will be a moot point and we will not have any issues, but I would be annoyed if a good game came out that required at least 786 RAM and the Bionic showed that it was not compatible because it is only seen as 512.

I just hope that everyone considered these types of changes when introducing devices like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez