kind of wish the phone was a little better looking.

jayblazer

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Its not that I think its ugly its just kind of plain looking. I wish it had a little more style. I really like the way HTC phones look. I think that's kind of the next step.. I understand that there has to be a basic design but I just wish it was something more.. like a little piece of tech art.. Mac gets it. They have a CPU in the smitsonium "with a moto processor in it" what do you guys think? I'm all about function over form. I just feel like the function has reached such a high maybe its time to focus more on form..

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Its not that I think its ugly its just kind of plain looking. I wish it had a little more style. I really like the way HTC phones look. I think that's kind of the next step.. I understand that there has to be a basic design but I just wish it was something more.. like a little piece of tech art.. Mac gets it. They have a CPU in the smitsonium "with a moto processor in it" what do you guys think? I'm all about function over form. I just feel like the function has reached such a high maybe its time to focus more on form..

Except for LTE phones the form IS dictated by the function. Right now they can only do so much to build a package around the tech, because its still too new, and still too bulky to be able to pull something off like, say, the iPhone 4.

I personally don't mind the Bionic's packaging. Its a lot like the OG Droid's; its a brutish first volley from Motorola in a new segment for them. Its MEANT to be a little unrefined and a little like a hammer, because they want to make a statement. They'll refine their LTE designs later. (look to the Targa for what it'll look like)

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
As long as the screen looks good and it fits nice in the pocket,i could care less about the exterior casing, as long as it is black. Not a fan of white phones.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I've never put too much weight into the looks of the phone. I always put a case on my phones anyway 'cause I can't stand even little scratches. So, for me, it's how the case may look versus the actual phone. I've never had a 4.3-in screen either, so I would guess that it'll play a huge part in the looks of the phone.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The pictures of the Bionic make it look bad. Hopefully it will not look so bad when it is released. But I do agree that it is the ugly duckling of the 4 coming out on Verizon. I too am of the opinion that the screen is the most important part that needs to look good, but the rest of the phone should not draw attention to itself. Right now the rest of the Bionic looks like it stands out a little too much. I realize the Atrix is a physically smaller phone (by a little) but it?s form, while being very similar to the Bionic, makes it look much more ?conservative? (for lack of a better word.)

Most blogger sites doing hands-on pieces at events and shows shoot these things with such short focal lengths that the products end up having a distorted perspective. Thus the need to look at it in person to make a real decision.

Separated at birth perhaps?

Motorola-DROID-BIONIC-03-Verizon.jpg

Industrial%20Rubber%20gloves.jpg

-Suntan

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree. The pictures of the Bionic make it look bad. Hopefully it will not look so bad when it is released. But I do agree that it is the ugly duckling of the 4 coming out on Verizon. I too am of the opinion that the screen is the most important part that needs to look good, but the rest of the phone should not draw attention to itself. Right now the rest of the Bionic looks like it stands out a little too much. I realize the Atrix is a physically smaller phone (by a little) but it?s form, while being very similar to the Bionic, makes it look much more ?conservative? (for lack of a better word.)

Most blogger sites doing hands-on pieces at events and shows shoot these things with such short focal lengths that the products end up having a distorted perspective. Thus the need to look at it in person to make a real decision.

Separated at birth perhaps?

-Suntan

If you mean that both are gray, maybe. Other than that, I see no similarity.

I would rank the LTE phones like this: 1) Bolt, 2) Bionic, 3) Revolution, 4) Charge.

The Charge is hideous and overwrought (it wouldn't be a samsung if it wasn't). The Revolution is boring and inoffensive, but the back isn't that great. The Bolt is a good design hampered by meh materials, but still the best of the bunch. The Bionic is somewhere between the Revolution and Bolt; its a sledge-hammer, like I said above, but still very conservative.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Then go buy it a dress. I heard Victoria's Secret is having a panty raid sale ;)

:p

It's just a phone. If it looks like a phone, and does phone things, then I'm satisfied.

+1
If it does what I need out of it then big woop if its not all pretty and shiny chrome.

As for the earlier post, I too case my phones due to the fact that being in the military is not too nice to my cellphones. Everyone has their own taste what they think a phone should look like but to me the Bionic looks the best out of em. Sucks though I can't have a naked phone due to my job but either way cased or not I like the looks of the phone. Heck, It beats my Storm 2 in looks and performance hands down. At least I won't have to do daily resets and battery pulls from freezes anymore like my BB...

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
that is Motorola for you. I want a brute force phone. I personally think it is getting to close in line with the HTC line. HTC phones are bore fest cookie cutter designs. I may just skip. bionic and go tegra if it comes to VZW this fall.
All the more reason to make the outside less conspicuous.

The Bionic just looks a little too? ?industrial, if you will.

-Suntan

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I think it looks nice, also. I am still waiting on it, but the fact that it is shipping with 2.2 at this point makes me a little wary. It better have a fast track to 2.3.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree. The pictures of the Bionic make it look bad.
Motorola-DROID-BIONIC-03-Verizon.jpg
Yea, AT&T's Atrix gives a better impression of what the Bionic will feel like. Though I wish Motorola would have designed the Bionic a bit sleeker and curvier, like SE's Xperia Arc.No reason why Moto can't, they practically invented the sleek while solid handset with their RAZR. ;)

cody_21

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
From what I have seen in the hands on videos with the bionic it looks like it is supposed to be released with the new gingerblur that was leaked for the droid x

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yea, AT&T's Atrix gives a better impression of what the Bionic will feel like. Though I wish Motorola would have designed the Bionic a bit sleeker and curvier, like SE's Xperia Arc.No reason why Moto can't, they practically invented the sleek while solid handset with their RAZR. ;)

So would you like your LTE modem as a dongle, because thats the only way the Bionic could have been as thin as the Arc.

You are talking about technological limitations that have nothing whatsoever to do with design decisions.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
So would you like your LTE modem as a dongle, because thats the only way the Bionic could have been as thin as the Arc.

You are talking about technological limitations that have nothing whatsoever to do with design decisions.

I don't think any of us can do anything more than speculate as to what "designs" are limited by the tech (assuming that means the LTE chip and size).

That's not a knock on you or your comment, just a thought.

jayheartxo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Quoted for using the cutest word ever!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think any of us can do anything more than speculate as to what "designs" are limited by the tech (assuming that means the LTE chip and size).

That's not a knock on you or your comment, just a thought.

No, we can know for sure. The Bionic, like the Thunderbolt and all of the LTE phones, has to have a separate modem for LTE connectivity. That takes up space that phones like the Arc don't have to have. The post I was responding to said there was no reason Motorola couldn't have designed the Bionic to be as sexy as the Arc. That's just not the case.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon