MOTO's official Bionic page is down...?

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
So uh, I really hate for my first post to be such bad news, but it seems our worst fears may be true... When I clicked on the official link for the Droid Bionic on MOTO's website (ironically in someone's comment pointing out that it was still up), I got a message saying the page was not found. F5, same result. Found the Bionic still through the Phones menu, clicking on the page brought up a partial template, F5 and its gone. Click and see what you get...

Again, I hate so much to be the bearer of bad news, I've been lusting for the D.Bionic since its announcement, SO ready to ditch this LG Versa but trying to wait for a dual-core LTE device before unlimited data goes the way of the Merge. However, this does seem to confirm what BMX/Penguin alluded to in his latest post this evening, just thought I'd pass it along.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Just passed this along to Engadget btw, maybe they can do a bit more digging on their end. I guess we'll have to wait and see what BMX has to say tomorrow.

This is awful news if true, though, I've been waiting forever. I even worked as a demo rep for Android when the first Droids hit Verizon, and have been following the OS since it first came out, just was not able to upgrade until the end of last year, when I decided to wait for 4g. If the Bionic is truly dead, Verizon had better get the Galaxy S2 LTE or Targa LTE out before they axe unlimited 4g data. If I can't get a dual-core 4g device with unlimited data they'll likely lose my business to Sprint.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Same link I posted, doesn't work for me.

Strangely though, this new link is just the old link with "EN" added to the end, and it works. I found that link on the Bionic's new Twitter page, created just a few hours ago. If you click the phone in the image that appears, it says "The End of Waiting" and takes you to the info we remember. But if you click through any of the menus to find it, or use that old link that had worked, the page is not found.

Perhaps there is hope yet? Maybe this is the start of some sort of viral marketing campaign leading up to its actual release, and they just slightly reassigned the URL for whatever reason? One can only hope. It could also just be the only page they haven't removed yet, and there's no way to verify that the Twitter page was actually created by Motorola just because it lists a Moto url.

cody_21

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, when I go to moto's page and click on the bionic it still takes me to the page showing the phone and all

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so last time I checked the site, if you clicked Mobile Phones, there were 6 Droid devices mentioned under Android smartphones, but when I clicked on the D.Bionic link it gave me aforementioned result. Now, it lists 5, and the Bionic is no longer there! This has changed within the past 10 MINUTES!! WTF?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so last time I checked the site, if you clicked Mobile Phones, there were 6 Droid devices mentioned under Android smartphones, but when I clicked on the D.Bionic link it gave me aforementioned result. Now, it lists 5, and the Bionic is no longer there! This has changed within the past 10 MINUTES!! WTF?
It has never been listed under their android phones, because it isn't on sale yet. It has always been given its own page and own link on the homepage.

BTW, its still there. Take a deep breath and calm down.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, sometimes when I check it the Bionic is back up there, and the link works and so do the menus, listed under the Droid series under Smartphones. Sometimes it is gone from the menus, and just has the link on the main page, which only works if it takes you to the link with "EN" at the end. This has been changing constantly every few minutes that I have checked, I do not know what this implies.

I apologize to those who feel that I am getting hyped about nothing. But I think this is pretty significant info considering that this entire section is dead if the Bionic is indeed cancelled. Also, as I had settled on the Bionic 2 months ago, I have to admit I am rather upset about the possibility of its being cancelled. I'm really upset at the prospect of not being able to purchase a strong dual-core A9 LTE device before unlimited data is axed.

Still, you have to consider the significance of this fishyness on Moto's site, and should expect to hear something official tomorrow if the Bionic is still scheduled to be released. There is enough information right now to lead everyone, including investors, to believe the device is cancelled, and I can assure you that MOTO's stock WILL drop unless they quickly make an announcement to the contrary. No company will accept a marked drop in stock valuation based on a rumor that isn't true. If, however, the rumors are true, there isn't much they can say and they likely won't say anything at all, and try to sweep the whole thing under the rug, ala HTC Merge.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, sometimes when I check it the Bionic is back up there, and the link works and so do the menus, listed under the Droid series under Smartphones. Sometimes it is gone from the menus, and just has the link on the main page, which only works if it takes you to the link with "EN" at the end. This has been changing constantly every few minutes that I have checked, I do not know what this implies.

I apologize to those who feel that I am getting hyped about nothing. But I think this is pretty significant info considering that this entire section is dead if the Bionic is indeed cancelled. Also, as I had settled on the Bionic 2 months ago, I have to admit I am rather upset about the possibility of its being cancelled. I'm really upset at the prospect of not being able to purchase a strong dual-core A9 LTE device before unlimited data is axed.

Still, you have to consider the significance of this fishyness on Moto's site, and should expect to hear something official tomorrow if the Bionic is still scheduled to be released. There is enough information right now to lead everyone, including investors, to believe the device is cancelled, and I can assure you that MOTO's stock WILL drop unless they quickly make an announcement to the contrary. No company will accept a marked drop in stock valuation based on a rumor that isn't true. If, however, the rumors are true, there isn't much they can say and they likely won't say anything at all, and try to sweep the whole thing under the rug, ala HTC Merge.
What browser do you use? I tried it on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, and the links and images work on all of them.

The page is still there, and it still works. Nothing has changed.

And there's a key difference between this and the Merge; the Bionic was announced, and has been marketed. It would take something huge for it to be canceled. Which makes its cancellation completely implausible, if not impossible.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Chrome on Windows 7 right now. I've tried Firefox, and was on Ubuntu before and tried both browsers there as well. As I said, sometimes its there, sometimes its not, every few minutes it will be different. Its as if one version is correct, the other is cached but somehow keeps trying to replace it. For instance, when I checked as I began typing this post it was gone again, now it is back. I can't explain it, and do find it odd that no one else has found this yet, I'm just telling you what I see on my end.

I agree that it is not plausible to cancel a device so late, but it is certainly possible. It would be terrible business and would hurt Moto, Nvidia, and likely VZW as well, but if there are still significant issues with it that could take longer to fix than it would take to accelerate the Targa to market, I can certainly see it happening. I can also see VZW getting to a point where they decide it is simply not worth further development, wouldn't be the first time. Trust me, I'm a huge fan of the Bionic, and I REALLY want to see it hit the market. I understand how bad a cancellation would be for everyone, but that's the direction things are pointing, until we get more clarification.

I will concede though, its entirely possible that Moto is simply updating their site and an incorrect version of the site, missing the DB, was somehow cached with my ISP, explaining the discrepancy. There's still the most recent comments from BMX and others though... Let's still keep our fingers crossed, but be prepared for a disappointment.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Chrome on Windows 7 right now. I've tried Firefox, and was on Ubuntu before and tried both browsers there as well. As I said, sometimes its there, sometimes its not, every few minutes it will be different. Its as if one version is correct, the other is cached but somehow keeps trying to replace it. For instance, when I checked as I began typing this post it was gone again, now it is back. I can't explain it, and do find it odd that no one else has found this yet, I'm just telling you what I see on my end.

I agree that it is not plausible to cancel a device so late, but it is certainly possible. It would be terrible business and would hurt Moto, Nvidia, and likely VZW as well, but if there are still significant issues with it that could take longer to fix than it would take to accelerate the Targa to market, I can certainly see it happening. I can also see VZW getting to a point where they decide it is simply not worth further development, wouldn't be the first time. Trust me, I'm a huge fan of the Bionic, and I REALLY want to see it hit the market. I understand how bad a cancellation would be for everyone, but that's the direction things are pointing, until we get more clarification.

I will concede though, its entirely possible that Moto is simply updating their site and an incorrect version of the site, missing the DB, was somehow cached with my ISP, explaining the discrepancy. There's still the most recent comments from BMX and others though... Let's still keep our fingers crossed, but be prepared for a disappointment.

I'd wager on sloppy coding.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Droid800 show me some marketing dollars spent on the Bionic. Magazines, commercials etc etc

Sent from my Droid

Just look at Motorola's website. It's not a magazine ad or commercial, but the creation of that page wasn't free and it is marketing for Motorola for their device. Plus, the CES announcement and hands-on, etc.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Just look at Motorola's website. It's not a magazine ad or commercial, but the creation of that page wasn't free and it is marketing for Motorola for their device. Plus, the CES announcement and hands-on, etc.

I'm talking actual marketing dollars spent on ads (magazines, internet, TV etc)

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm talking actual marketing dollars spent on ads (magazines, internet, TV etc)

Sent from my Droid

Again, having the device on Motorola's website is not free. But, why limit to marketing in magazines, TV, etc., though? Those typically don't show up until the device is close to release or has been released. So you really wouldn't see those now anyway. But, that's not to say there's not a considerable amount of money that's been invested in the phone.

lament

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
That @DroidBionic Twitter page has some grammar and punctuation issues, which leads me to believe it's not official.

I see @Motorola on the bottom of the Bionic page.

barnebyjones

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Again, having the device on Motorola's website is not free. But, why limit to marketing in magazines, TV, etc., though? Those typically don't show up until the device is close to release or has been released. So you really wouldn't see those now anyway. But, that's not to say there's not a considerable amount of money that's been invested in the phone.

There was a verizon commercial for my Tbolt back in January stating it was coming out in February. Then other commercials came along as well not too much longer. But hey, it wasn't my decision to not get a Tbolt, so now you know our pain lol. Waiting every day scouring for news is painful. Here's to hoping you guys get a taste of this absolutely fantastic scrumptious 4G LTE soon.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Those typically don't show up until the device is close to release or has been released.

That was my point. There have been no marketing dollars spent on this device other than a page on Moto's site which cost them what? A few dollars to pay a guy to throw them up there? CES is a cost of doing business. I don't think they went to CES knowing what kind of issues they would face. This is new technology. First generation LTE handsets will have issues. As things progress they will get better at manufacturing them. I will even go so far to say that it with take until mid 2012 to get some really good LTE handsets out.

My main point is that this should not come as a surprise if it gets scrapped or retooled or whatever you want to call it. It should be expected.

They are not going to push out ankther LTE device with issues. They already are dealing with a TB fiasco (holding onto LTE ) and that is costing them some moola.

I say people should just relax and wait for them to come up with better product. They will get it right. Nobody owes us anything except delivering us good product that works.....period. They don't go on our schedules. Don't want to wait? Buy another handset. They only want a contract from you anyway. They make nothing on these phones. You buying a blackberry or a TB makes no difference to them. Its all the same.

Sent from my Droid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz