Moto's Bionic LIVES!

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am happy they are holding it back.....but give me 1 GB or more of DDR 2 memory (not just 512), 1.3 or better front facing camera, and Ginger Bread on launch!!! Also use better materails for the casing but keep the same design.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am happy they are holding it back.....but give me 1 GB or more of DDR 2 memory (not just 512), 1.3 or better front facing camera, and Ginger Bread on launch!!! Also use better materails for the casing but keep the same design.

i guess thats the one and only thing i didnt like about the bionic. The back looks like soft plaistic. When their previous phones like DX and Droid were aluminum.

seabass

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to start something here, but people emailed HTC & Verizon ahead of the bolt launch and got replies, and they ended up being incorrect. I have talked to CSRs at Verizon, HTC, & Moto, and when I ask a question about something that's unreleased, they usually say something to the effect of "We don't hear anything until a week or two before it's official".

Until Moto does an official press release outlining exactly what's happening, everything is pure speculation.

Which is why I was saying there is no reason to believe it's canceled. Or did Motorola send out an official press release I am unaware of?

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Which is why I was saying there is no reason to believe it's canceled. Or did Motorola send out an official press release I am unaware of?

There will never be any official word on this, ever.

Most of my own Targa/Bionic hypothesis is based on the history of what has been leaking about the Etna/Bionic, what was said, who said it, the sequence, and other factors such as other devices in development (Targa) and how it would look if Moto never delivered the Bionic in any form.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
There will never be any official word on this, ever.

Most of my own Targa/Bionic hypothesis is based on the history of what has been leaking about the Etna/Bionic, what was said, who said it, the sequence, and other factors such as other devices in development (Targa) and how it would look if Moto never delivered the Bionic in any form.

Well, there wasn't a press release, but there was a statement released by Motorola.

Droid hungry

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but here is a crazy idea, maybe they are updating the os and unlocking the bootloader. Maybe? One can only dream.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, there wasn't a press release, but there was a statement released by Motorola.

Yes, but in that statement, they really didn't go into specifics. They said the Bioinc is going to be released. The "enhancements" means it is indeed different than the Bionic we saw at CES. As far as to what extent it is different remains to be seen. Depending on how long the delay is (middle of summer vs. end of) they may keep the same form factor and retool the innerds.

The most widely accepted explanation for why they are having to delay it is poor battery life & overheating due to the tegra2 & LTE not playing well together. If that is the case, look for them to switch to an OMAP cpu (unless it also has issues with LTE).

Beyond that I'd guess that they will try to add a few other hardware/software enhancements to make up for the delay.

In all of this I never stated/ thought that the Bionic was completely cancelled, just the current iteration of it. Again whether that is just internal changes or changes inside & out, there will still be a Droid Bionic. It's Verizon's name, they won't let that go.

On a somewhat unrelated matter, remember how everyone was shaking their heads as to why the Thunderbolt wasn't given a "Droid" moniker? HTC has one Droid phone, the Incredible. Now we have Samsung with the Droid Charge. I'm wondering if the Droid is going to mainly be for Moto, but there will be one Droid model from of each of the other manufacturers. Sound plausible?

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but in that statement, they really didn't go into specifics. They said the Bioinc is going to be released. The "enhancements" means it is indeed different than the Bionic we saw at CES. As far as to what extent it is different remains to be seen. Depending on how long the delay is (middle of summer vs. end of) they may keep the same form factor and retool the innerds.

The most widely accepted explanation for why they are having to delay it is poor battery life & overheating due to the tegra2 & LTE not playing well together. If that is the case, look for them to switch to an OMAP cpu (unless it also has issues with LTE).

Beyond that I'd guess that they will try to add a few other hardware/software enhancements to make up for the delay.

In all of this I never stated/ thought that the Bionic was completely cancelled, just the current iteration of it. Again whether that is just internal changes or changes inside & out, there will still be a Droid Bionic. It's Verizon's name, they won't let that go.

On a somewhat unrelated matter, remember how everyone was shaking their heads as to why the Thunderbolt wasn't given a "Droid" moniker? HTC has one Droid phone, the Incredible. Now we have Samsung with the Droid Charge. I'm wondering if the Droid is going to mainly be for Moto, but there will be one Droid model from of each of the other manufacturers. Sound plausible?

I agree that the name will still stand. I hope I wasn't alluding to the contrary. It's still unclear on what the Bionic will now be though (in terms of what the device will look like and it's hardware specs).

And from what I saw, there was actually more than just a statement (actually there seem to be multiple sources, including the tweet quoted earlier), although still general in nature. In the statement that I saw, they say:

Based on compelling feedback since the show, we are incorporating several enhancements to make this an even better consumer experience. This includes expanded features, functionality and an improved form factor.

Note the "improved form factor". I would hate a change in form factor, but it's interesting (and telling) to see that it was mentioned in the statement.

Here's a link to the statement:

Motorola Droid Bionic Release Date Delay: Verizon Problems (Update) ? Phone Reviews

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Exactly my friend : ) the past leading up to the present is very telling

Sent from my Droid

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I also don't care what they call it either, all I know is that I want a take charge, kick butt phone that will last me 18 to 20 months.

There is no such thing anymore. Any device they put out is outdated in 3 months just like computers and actually more so.

I will also like to point out that "an improved form factor " does not mean a significantly different one. That could mean anything. We will have to wait and see...

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
There is no such thing anymore. Any device they put out is outdated in 3 months just like computers and actually more so.

I will also like to point out that "an improved form factor " does not mean a significantly different one. That could mean anything. We will have to wait and see...

very true, before I got married; I had the latest phone almost every 3 to 5 months. I promised my wife I will go longer than 5 months before I get a new phone. I had my OG for 15 months before I got my X.

So with CK wanted specs; I should be good for 18 to 20 months.

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Well Bionic won't be in Q2

I think we knew this already but looks like the next LTE devices are the Charge, and then the Revolution.

Verizon: We'll have 3 LTE devices in second quarter | ZDNet

From Earning call where CFO Fran Shammo said:
We are seeing continued demand for our Apple products and 4G LTE devices, with more smartphones, tablets, and Internet devices coming to market shortly?

With the LTE launches, as you know, we only had two weeks of our first HTC handset. We are coming out with our Samsung handset very shortly here, and then LG will be following. So we will have up to three devices launched by the second quarter, so again, that?s going to accelerate the growth, and yes, we are very confident that we will hit the 50% penetration.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
What is 2nd best to bionic?

I would probably have to say the LG Revolution or the Droid X or Incredible 2. There are those who will say it is going to be the Samsung Charge but personally after the Fascinate debacle Samsung is dead to me as a prospective phone manufacturer.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I would probably have to say the LG Revolution or the Droid X or Incredible 2. There are those who will say it is going to be the Samsung Charge but personally after the Fascinate debacle Samsung is dead to me as a prospective phone manufacturer.

If Verizon doesn't support their Droid Charge that would be a HUGE mistake. It's a Droid, they will support it or risk tarnishing the brand name. I personally don't think they will let that happen.

Prediction: Droid Charge gets excellent support as do the rest of the Droids in their line-up.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon doesn't support their Droid Charge that would be a HUGE mistake. It's a Droid, they will support it or risk tarnishing the brand name. I personally don't think they will let that happen.

Prediction: Droid Charge gets excellent support as do the rest of the Droids in their line-up.

Verizon does not write the update Samsung does and if they take their sweet time with an update getting it to Verizon or electing not to update it at all there is not really anything Verizon can do.

Samsung promised updates for The Galaxy S series "soon" when they launched them last summer and fall. They didn't even update their own original Galaxy S (European version) until Jan 2011 (6 months after it was launched) and the others got their updates trickling in since then with the Fascinate getting it just the other day.

How much of that further delay was caused by Samsung and how much it was caused by VZW's own testing we will never know for sure but one things for sure they certainly were not in any hurry to do so. No one in their right mind would equate soon = 6-8 months from now. Last September the Fascinate was a flagship device (even without the Droid name) and ever since then it has become a joke.

I agree that a "Droid" series device not getting any updates would be bad for the brand but remember Droid Eris? There is absolutely NO reason the Eris could not have gotten Froyo officially (numerous third party ROM's exist) but they simply chose to abandon it.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Verizon does not write the update Samsung does and if they take their sweet time with an update getting it to Verizon or electing not to update it at all there is not really anything Verizon can do.

Samsung promised updates for The Galaxy S series "soon" when they launched them last summer and fall. They didn't even update their own original Galaxy S (European version) until Jan 2011 (6 months after it was launched) and the others got their updates trickling in since then with the Fascinate getting it just the other day.

How much of that further delay was caused by Samsung and how much it was caused by VZW's own testing we will never know for sure but one things for sure they certainly were not in any hurry to do so. No one in their right mind would equate soon = 6-8 months from now. Last September the Fascinate was a flagship device (even without the Droid name) and ever since then it has become a joke.

I agree that a "Droid" series device not getting any updates would be bad for the brand but remember Droid Eris? There is absolutely NO reason the Eris could not have gotten Froyo officially (numerous third party ROM's exist) but they simply chose to abandon it.

I agree with you I have been eying the GS2. But the only thing that had me go back and forth about it is the update issue. I am really hoping that they upgrade the Bionic/Targa to 1gb DDR2 Ram. Because that would be my 1st choice... If another Dual Core comes out between now and then I have to make a decision. If the GS2 and the Bionic comes out around the same time I will test both of them out and make a decision. One thing I can say is I am not finishing the Summer with a Storm1.