Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Droid Charge vs. Droid Bionic

    Can someone remind me why we are waiting for the Bionic?

    Just got back from VZW store, the Charge looks crisp. $299 is high, and it's not dual charge- but will our lives be that much better for waiting another 3-4 months (up to) for the Bionic? I am not aware of any game changing features or abilities the Bionic has that the Charge does not. At least with the TBolt we can mention battery issues- so, assuming no major flaws become apparent in the next week or two- what is holding people back from getting the Charge?
  2. #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcbrett View Post
    Can someone remind me why we are waiting for the Bionic?

    Just got back from VZW store, the Charge looks crisp. $299 is high, and it's not dual charge- but will our lives be that much better for waiting another 3-4 months (up to) for the Bionic? I am not aware of any game changing features or abilities the Bionic has that the Charge does not. At least with the TBolt we can mention battery issues- so, assuming no major flaws become apparent in the next week or two- what is holding people back from getting the Charge?
    I am waiting on the Bionic.. I messed with the Charge it is okay. But it is not Dual Core!!! I want a Dual Core phone and 4G phone. So I will wait for the Bionic.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    I am waiting on the Bionic.. I messed with the Charge it is okay. But it is not Dual Core!!! I want a Dual Core phone and 4G phone. So I will wait for the Bionic.
    Ok so maybe that is a part of the question- what difference will a dual core phone make in your daily use that justifies the additional 3-4 months wait? The Charge is also 4G- so much of this seems like a wash..
  4. #4  
    SnydersWeb's Avatar

    Posts
    274 Posts
    ROM
    Bionic Stock Kernel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcbrett View Post
    Ok so maybe that is a part of the question- what difference will a dual core phone make in your daily use that justifies the additional 3-4 months wait? The Charge is also 4G- so much of this seems like a wash..
    Mostly that the overall trend in mobile processors are multiple core because they offer more horsepower while being lighter on battery use than single-core designs. Because of this trend it's a matter of time before we see more apps that are optimized for this. That with 4G make this a phone worth at least investigating when it comes out.

    In short, I'm holding out because I need this next upgrade to be as future proof as I can make it. It's better to make the sacrifice now of 2-3 months than to jump now and suffer later with a device that can't keep up.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Bionic all the way, If it proves to be lackluster I can always back up to the Charge. I have had a D! this long, I can wait.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcbrett View Post
    Ok so maybe that is a part of the question- what difference will a dual core phone make in your daily use that justifies the additional 3-4 months wait? The Charge is also 4G- so much of this seems like a wash..
    If you are asking why Dual Core is better then Single Core then read this. Why dual-core is faster than single-core processors - by Maxwell Payne - Helium

    I believe that Dual Core is the Future. My next phone I will have to have for 2 Years. I do not want old tech for 2 years... Also look around the Forums you will found more information.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcbrett View Post
    Can someone remind me why we are waiting for the Bionic?
    I hear what you’re saying. I’m just not overly fond of the look on the Samsung, although in fairness I haven’t gone to the store and looked at it in person.

    If the Tbolt didn’t have cringe-worthy batt life, I’d have just deflected to that already.

    IMO, the claim for the Bionic really boils down to your desire for the TergaHD products. After playing some of them on a Xoom (before taking it back) I will say that the THD games are nicer than the regular versions, my question though is just how important is that to me? I go back and forth, but the answer is I tend to gravitate towards is, Not that important.

    qHD would also be nice, But right now, the upcoming 4” Droid 3 is calling me more than the Bionic.

    Then again, if the DInc2 announced Netflix support and Skype (or GTalk) video calling support, I’d probably grab that and be happy. I’d even go with the WebOS based Pre3 if they announced support for both of those functions.

    The reality is that Big Red is sucking wind right now for new products, not just the Bionic.

    -Suntan
  8. #8  
    BigDFSU's Avatar

    Posts
    252 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

    Default

    The problem with this comparison, and probably what is upsetting us most, is that you can't make a proper comparison because we don't have any specs on the Bionic. People are holding out and hoping that they will be amazed by whatever changes are being made.

    I think a lot of us might have considered the Charge if it had a dual core. In fact it is safe to say that if it was a dual core then you probably would have seen a lot of us grabbing that up instead of waiting.
  9. #9  

    Default

    The sad part in my mind is that if the Bionic is going to be the powerhouse we are hoping it will be, there is nothing else Verizon is offering that you can compare it too. Beyond the Bionic there are no 4G VZW phones in the horizon that I have heard of.

    If you want to compare the Bionic to anything you have to look at other carriers:
    T-Mo: HTC Sensation and Newly Rumored HTC Hercules
    Sprint: HTC EVO 3D "druels" and of Course Nexus
    AT&T: Atrix "yahns" and Infuse 4G "okay its not dual core but still better than the charge"

    What else is out there? I have never been so tempted to switch carriers in 15 years.
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  
    BigDFSU's Avatar

    Posts
    252 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    The sad part in my mind is that if the Bionic is going to be the powerhouse we are hoping it will be, there is nothing else Verizon is offering that you can compare it too. Beyond the Bionic there are no 4G VZW phones in the horizon that I have heard of.

    If you want to compare the Bionic to anything you have to look at other carriers:
    T-Mo: HTC Sensation and Newly Rumored HTC Hercules
    Sprint: HTC EVO 3D "druels" and of Course Nexus
    AT&T: Atrix "yahns" and Infuse 4G "okay its not dual core but still better than the charge"

    What else is out there? I have never been so tempted to switch carriers in 15 years.
    You nailed it there. It's ridiculous that T-Mobile is getting all these awesome phones and Verizon has nothing really in the pipe besides Bionic(as far as a 4G phone), which we know nothing about now because Moto seems to think we are cool with waiting around with no details. I feel like Verizon blew their load trying to get the iPhone 4, losing focus on Android in the process, and now I read an article yesterday saying that the new iPhone coming out later this year might come out on Sprint and T-Mobile as well. WTF!

    I've said it in other threads, for as good as their Network is, Verizon has a huge issue with getting first crack at amazing phones. Most of the other carriers get the phones first and then Verizon, much later, gets a similar model while the other carriers are announcing bigger and better.
  11. #11  

    Default

    I dont care about 4G
    I wanted a Merge but it seems "watered down" I cant get another phone for 18 months so I better make a good decision . Interested in Droid 3, X2 and would look over the I phone 5
  12. #12  

    Default

    agreed. Wife wants a Black Berry and they haven't had a new one in forever, They rumored that a Torch was coming but here it is May. VZW is taking a back seat to the other carriers when it comes to new Impressive phones.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    The sad part in my mind is that if the Bionic is going to be the powerhouse we are hoping it will be, there is nothing else Verizon is offering that you can compare it too. Beyond the Bionic there are no 4G VZW phones in the horizon that I have heard of.

    If you want to compare the Bionic to anything you have to look at other carriers:
    T-Mo: HTC Sensation and Newly Rumored HTC Hercules
    Sprint: HTC EVO 3D "druels" and of Course Nexus
    AT&T: Atrix "yahns" and Infuse 4G "okay its not dual core but still better than the charge"

    What else is out there? I have never been so tempted to switch carriers in 15 years.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Oh come on guys, the Thunderbolt doesn't have that horrid battery life. It easily lasts me a day with OC. I honesty LOVE my Thunderbolt. If you can't wait for the Droid Bionic (probably wont get root BTW) take the plunge for the Thunderbolt. Great device.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPCookieMan View Post
    Oh come on guys, the Thunderbolt doesn't have that horrid battery life. It easily lasts me a day with OC. I honesty LOVE my Thunderbolt. If you can't wait for the Droid Bionic (probably wont get root BTW) take the plunge for the Thunderbolt. Great device.
    I will rather keep my Storm1 or get another used DX then get the TB. Before a friend of mine returned his I had it for a few days used it for work and other things. The Battery is just horrible. Did the same thing with my old DX it last all day long until 10 PM when I charged it. I would never recommend that phone to anyone. My friend coming from and EVO had a lot of headaches the battery life which is a problem with HTC. Why should we have to buy extended batteries to have the phone work for a full day.
    Even my Storm1 battery last longer with checking constant emails,FB, Twitter, and having to reboot it 5 times a day because of application errors. I will rather wait for the Bionic or maybe GS2. Now that my wife has my old DX she charges it every 2 days. Because she does not use it as much as me....
    Last edited by Preach2k; 05-18-2011 at 12:47 PM.
  15. #15  
    Johnly's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,663 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,708 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    I won't remind you, but motorola all the way to the quality bank.
  16. #16  

    Default

    well heres what youve been waiting for, the bionic will have a quick proc but that combined with 4G is insane, the battery will last like 2 hours and the phone will run so hot you wont be able to touch it. the droid x2 will be launching soon and that has a dual core proc so itll be interesting to see how that phone handles it, i guess from there we can all make a better judgement on battery life and just how these phones in general will handle it, but really i wouldnt wait its a waste
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apostrafee View Post
    well heres what youve been waiting for, the bionic will have a quick proc but that combined with 4G is insane, the battery will last like 2 hours and the phone will run so hot you wont be able to touch it. the droid x2 will be launching soon and that has a dual core proc so itll be interesting to see how that phone handles it, i guess from there we can all make a better judgement on battery life and just how these phones in general will handle it, but really i wouldnt wait its a waste
    Sounds like a lot of hot air to me.
    Thanked by 2:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default

    Thanks Preach and others about the Dual Core info- and clearly this is superior. However- I am not seeing how the marginal difference from the superior processor opens doors to apps and other things that I wouldn't already have access to, and the ability to run- albeit microseconds slower and with slightly more energy usage.

    I mean, it's not as if there are apps that will only run on dual core or better, correct? And if there are- are these gaming apps that not everyone here uses? I have a PS3 at home for that if so. I generally use a smart phone for web browsing, a few fun apps, and in the future I'd love to video skype.
  19. #19  

    Default

    From what I read the multi cores use less battery power.
    Its all in your application or needs in a device I guess.
    Mine is child like. I want a Hot Rod in CPU and 4G. I want decent battery life, as large a screen I can carry in a pocket, and ringtone audio and vibration levels that are not a joke.

    You seem to be skeptical rather if you need all that or not in a phone. As for me, every time I do the "Do I need all that? | Is it really required? | I can save $ if.." thing I get burned and regret it for 2 more years!.

    So I converted to the "I want all that!" thing and not looking back. This way I can blame the Mfg instead of myself.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default

    "The potential of dual cores has yet to be fully unlocked, but is quickly becoming more and more realized and put to good use. Those who will realize the most speed difference between single and dual core processors are gamers who play games designed to use both cores and developers who demand more processing power to run their developing software. For now the average web surfer and word processor user will notice little if any speed difference and even those who open and run many programs at once will only notice a slight change in speed."

    This is from the link that Preach provided. Believe me- I want to future proof also- but this article is suggesting that the difference is challenging to notice. What it comes down to I suppose for me is- if we can get some nugget of real info about a release date that is reasonable- maybe early July the latest- I will wait- if nothing comes out and we suspect this could be until August- I may very well go with the charge or the TBolt if they figure out how to fix the battery issue.
  21. #21  

    Default

    I'm sure T-Bolt will figure it out sooner or later. When I 1st got my D1 it was bad and got better with every update.

    My D1 is amazingly doing well. So my wait is not to bad but I yearn.

    This "So the consumer can have a better experience is a canned thing for sure. And you can bet the Upstairs Cooperate boys have a dead line in mind. They are just good at keeping it quiet.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Personally I am holding out for the Bionic regardless of how long it takes. I purchased my Xoom last week and I have put this thing through hell trying to get it to lag or freeze and have not been able to so far. The battery life is amazing (it is only WIFI but I am on it constantly). So the dual core seems worth the wait for me. The other main factor that I am waiting for the Bionic is that Motorola seems pretty good about keeping their phones up to date with the latest android. I mean they are already talking about releasing 2.3 to the Droid X. I have the Samsung Fascinate right now and although I love the phone and honestly believe that the Super AMOLED screen is the best out there, I feel that they are horrible about updating their phones. Main reason behind this is probably because they basically release the same phone world wide. So we have to wait for the European and Asian countries to get their phones and updates before they even start working on ours. As far as the HTC I have never owned a HTC device so i cant comment on performance or how effectively they update. Considering the options I will be more than happy to wait for the Droid Bionic. I want the dual core if for no other purpose than being able to say I have a dual core phone and i believe that having it will help to offset some of the battery drain from the 4G. I also feel that Motorola will do a better job at keeping my phone up to date than Samsung. Just my 2 cents.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    I will rather keep my Storm1 or get another used DX then get the TB. Before a friend of mine returned his I had it for a few days used it for work and other things. The Battery is just horrible. Did the same thing with my old DX it last all day long until 10 PM when I charged it. I would never recommend that phone to anyone. My friend coming fro and EVO had a lot of headaches the battery life which is a problem with HTC. Why should we have to buy extended batteries to have the phone work for a full day.
    Even my Storm1 battery last longer with checking constant emails,FB, Twitter, and having to reboot it 5 times a day because of application errors. I will rather wait for the Bionic or maybe GS2. Now that my wife has my old DX she charges it every 2 days. Because she does not use it as much as me....
    Me too. Sitting on a Storm 1 that has a battery life of two days while my friend had to put a hand crank on his TBolt :-)

    I REFUSE to have my cellular device not be able to last the entire day.
  24. #24  

    Default

    I'm with you in staying with what I know of Moto.

    It looks like to me Moto did some tricks to the D1 for battery life through out its updates. I'll be looking at 1 bar and no 3G and then make a call and there it is, 3G and a bar or two. Its like it checks every so often instead of constantly looking and smoking the battery. The same for Bluetooth. My early version D1 would start showing drain rightaway and and now its not until I interface between two BT devices. At least it looks this way to me.
    I'm wondering if the Bionic will allow the multitasking we hear about?
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbermanmd View Post
    Me too. Sitting on a Storm 1 that has a battery life of two days while my friend had to put a hand crank on his TBolt :-)

    I REFUSE to have my cellular device not be able to last the entire day.
    Um... mine lasts an entire day. I had a Storm 1 and I am SOOOO thankful that I didn't wait for the Bionic. I would be pulling my hair out right now if I still had my Storm.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions