Droid Bionic First Pictures!!

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Eh, it looks pretty big if you ask me. If its 4.5", it'll be bigger than the Droid X, and that phone's already to big IMHO. It's still got great specs, but as big as it is and if that is in fact a Pentile display like it appears to be, I can't say I could see this being my phone. At this point I'm feeling pretty good about getting the Charge when I did. A good processor is important, but the screen and form factor are arguably more important, since they come into play 100% of the time, whereas there are relatively few occasions where the SoC will make much difference over the other LTE phones, at least with current-gen software.

Prospekt

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I was waiting for this device but I don't know if I would be able to handle a 4.5 inch screen. I use a droid2 right now so that difference will seem huge. Decisions, decisions.

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
could be 4.3" i that is a Defy and not an Atrix. 4.5" i just too big IMHO

Anyone notice that one home screen is blue while the rest are red in the 3D display of home screens?

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I will not judge the size of this thing till...1) we see a side shot, 2) see it in someone's hands, and 3) compare it to other phones that we can actually identify (although like others have already said, it's likely to be a defy).

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
The phone is bigger than the Atrix , You can see it when its docked in the laptop ,the Atrix is a bit shorter than the dock & Bionic is a little taller (kinda sticking out a bit)

Eh, that just looks like an issue with how the dock is positioned, not the phone itself. The phones look to be the same size IMHO.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Well I took the picture showing what we think is the Moto Defy beside the Moto Bionic and used my 6" calipers to measure across both screens. Here is what I came up with.

Moto Defy measured in the picture at 4.55" corner to corner. Knowing its a 3.7" screen.
So the simple math is 4.55 / 3.7 = 1.229 <--- this is now our scale factor.

Droid Bionic measured in the picture at 4.95" corner to corner.
So we take that measurement divided by a scale of 1.229 : 4.95 / 1.229 = 4.027"

So what does all this mean?? Considering the angle the picture was taken at (unknown) and the rotation of the phones laying beside each other (not being parallel to each other) it is not conclusive to an exact measurement.

My educated guess is we are probably looking more at a 4.3" screen maximum. Again, this is just a guess based off assumptions that we are looking at a Defy.

Reactions: Stang68

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
We are becoming too obsessed with this phone, myself included. We won't know much until Verizon announces the device. I'm like everyone else on here and is thankful that we finally have pictures but maybe we should calm down and take a deep breath. Once we get to view this phone officially that's when we can ultimately make our decisions as to if we get this device or not. All I'm saying is that let's all take a step back and relax. At the end of the day it is still a phone.

Markurski

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
The phone is bigger than the Atrix , You can see it when its docked in the laptop ,the Atrix is a bit shorter than the dock & Bionic is a little taller (kinda sticking out a bit)

Thx for the pics Ice. I do see what you're saying how the Bionic is a bit taller and you seem to be correct. I was looking specifically at the size of the dock of the Atrix vs the Bionic. Both of them appear to have the same size docks (the dock starts at the corner of the netbook and extends to the middle about level with the Moto symbol). This led me to believe the two phones were the same size...now we know different. If the two docks look the same in the two different photos, then my conclusion is that Moto made a larger netbook to account for the larger Bionic. There is nothing size-wise in the pics to compare (such as a Quarter or a dollar bill) the devices.
Anyone have any specifics on the netbook yet?

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I took the picture showing what we think is the Moto Defy beside the Moto Bionic and used my 6" calipers to measure across both screens. Here is what I came up with.

Moto Defy measured in the picture at 4.55" corner to corner. Knowing its a 3.7" screen.
So the simple math is 4.55 / 3.7 = 1.229 <--- this is now our scale factor.

Droid Bionic measured in the picture at 4.95" corner to corner.
So we take that measurement divided by a scale of 1.229 : 4.95 / 1.229 = 4.027"

So what does all this mean?? Considering the angle the picture was taken at (unknown) and the rotation of the phones laying beside each other (not being parallel to each other) it is not conclusive to an exact measurement.

My educated guess is we are probably looking more at a 4.3" screen maximum. Again, this is just a guess based off assumptions that we are looking at a Defy.

Yeah, I did the same thing, but using pixel count for the diagonal screen dimension. I kept getting around the same value as you did. But, as you mention, the angle of the phones relative to the camera (and each other) are not consistent, so the computations are not going to be accurate. That said though, it does seem to indicate that the display is probably closer to 4.3 than 4.5 because it's easier to believe that the camera/phone angle differences can make up the difference between our computed value and 4.3, but harder to get all the way to 4.5.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I really think this is a 4.3" screen we're seeing. Hopefully we'll get further confirmation of that soon. I'm also hoping it's 4.3" lol

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Time to call in UFO investigators? They are great at determining dimensions of objects relative to other objects based on known dimensions.

Sent from my Droid