So no NFC for Bionic?

aanasa

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
They held the device back to make it the cream of the crop. Yet over 6 months after the first Android phone debuted with NFC; the Droid Bionic, the phone that is supposed to be as big as the Original Droid, does not have NFC.

Is anyone as pissed about this as I am? Sure NFC doesn't mean that much today, but give it another 6-8 months and we will all be wishing we had NFC on our two year contracts....

Reactions: mrpaulc

aanasa

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
NFC is Near Field Communication.

Its going to be the next HUGE thing in the mobile world and is already in the Nexus S.

Just go to google and search: Google Wallet

That will only be the beginning.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Not a big deal right now, but it is just another reason why I no longer find this to be the two year option I had once hoped it would be.

In any case, NFC won't be a deal breaker for many and it probably shouldn't be. I think we will see more of it in the near future, but it won't be an every day type of thing for another year or so probably.

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site
meh... in the time it will take to unlock the phone, load up the App, and authorize the payment... I can whip out a credit card and be done with it. Most of the specs on the Bionic or whatever name it will have, are not out yet.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anything conclusive on it having it or not having it. If they don't have it on the handset I can understand the anger. Not one handset in Verizon's lineup up with it. I do believe the Galaxy S Function will have it but that doesn't help those of you who want the Bionic.

But they did give you WebTop :)

Sent from my Droid

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anyone has mentioned if it has NFC or not(not officially anyways). If it doesn't, I'm disappointed but it's not too big of deal. there is work around's and unless you live in LA or something then you won't see it for a while anyways. I live in Charlotte, NC so I doubt it's going to explode here for a while, especially small cities, for quite a while. I do understand your frustration though. If I have to wait 8 months for a phone then I would have thought it'd be up to the latest tech.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen anything conclusive on it having it or not having it. If they don't have it on the handset I can understand the anger. Not one handset in Verizon's lineup up with it. I do believe the Galaxy S Function will have it but that doesn't help those of you who want the Bionic.

But they did give you WebTop :)Sent from my Droid

you just couldn't pass that up, could you?! :p i was just discussing this issue over at HoFo (and by "discussing" i mean that i was asking dumb questions, and others were giving thoughtful responses). in any event, someone brought up the fact that ICS should make the webtop much more useful from an apps standpoint. i have to admit, i hadn't thought about it in that light, and it does make some sense.

admittedly, it is still slightly more bloat than practical usefulness. but, there are some aspects that appeal to me for my line of work.

as to the thread topic, i haven't seen anything confirming or denying NFC. one would expect that NFC would have been touted, if available, in the leaked specs. and, the fact that Moto seems to be distancing itself somewhat from Google, with its own UI, also doesn't inspire a lot of hope. but still, i would hope that such a highly touted, and long long awaited, device would include what is on the verge of no longer being called "cutting edge" tech, but just "tech." still, probably not a deal breaker for me.

i looked again at the GS2 specs, and they still impress. but again, for reasons i can't pinpoint, i don't get nearly as excited about the GS2 as i do about the Targa... Maybe i need to see my therapist more often.

beermanmike

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
If it doesnt then that is fine (where is it confirmed that it doesnt have NFC) with me. Hell, over here in central california with all this farmland we barely have 3G! i get 1X some of the time, im getting the bionic for future proofing with 4g and dual core, i doubt NFC is coming here in 2 years or will be that great, i can wait for them to iron out that tech and bring it out here to the sticks.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
you just couldn't pass that up, could you?! :p i was just discussing this issue over at HoFo (and by "discussing" i mean that i was asking dumb questions, and others were giving thoughtful responses). in any event, someone brought up the fact that ICS should make the webtop much more useful from an apps standpoint. i have to admit, i hadn't thought about it in that light, and it does make some sense.

admittedly, it is still slightly more bloat than practical usefulness. but, there are some aspects that appeal to me for my line of work.

as to the thread topic, i haven't seen anything confirming or denying NFC. one would expect that NFC would have been touted, if available, in the leaked specs. and, the fact that Moto seems to be distancing itself somewhat from Google, with its own UI, also doesn't inspire a lot of hope. but still, i would hope that such a highly touted, and long long awaited, device would include what is on the verge of no longer being called "cutting edge" tech, but just "tech." still, probably not a deal breaker for me.

i looked again at the GS2 specs, and they still impress. but again, for reasons i can't pinpoint, i don't get nearly as excited about the GS2 as i do about the Targa... Maybe i need to see my therapist more often.

There's no such thing as a stupid question husker! :) I say ask away..

Anyway yeah I'm not convinced or sold on this webtop nonsense. Maybe the Bionic will run the enviroment better than the Atrix I don't know. I personally think that in order to have the phone run butter smooth and run webtop they need more RAM. Samsung has it nailed with the GSII right now in regards to iOS like smoothness. EVO 3D may follow suit. If Moto figures it out and bumps up RAM they should be in business but until then ill believe it when I see it.

No way to sell me on it or dress it up to be sexy :) its bloat.....in my humble opinion of course.

Sent from my Droid

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
So CK, "IF" the bionic came with an unlocked bootloader and Developers made it able to remove the webtop feature, would you cOnsider the bionic more?

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
when it comes down to it, i'm just gonna have to force myself to give the GS2 a hard look, and do so with an open mind. i've always had a preference for Moto phones (and the D1 has just further cemented that preference), and maybe that history is clouding my judgment and not letting me objectively evaluate Moto's recent shenanigans and shortfalls with respect to this device..

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
So CK, "IF" the bionic came with an unlocked bootloader and Developers made it able to remove the webtop feature, would you cOnsider the bionic more?

Awesome question!! :)

No I would not. I'm pretty much in love with the SAMOLED + screen on the Samsung. I will say that the Bionic unlocked would be a beast. Would make for one of the best developer phones out there in my opinion. I'm just partial to the Samsungs screen.

I do like the Bionic and think people are getting a great phone its just not my cup of tea at this time. I do REALLY REALLY like Motorola though. Hey this what makes Android great. We get so many choices accept on Verizon lol.

Sent from my Droid

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I think this is a problem(?) with the Android phones right now. They are coming out at such a fast and furious clip, it can drive you crazy if want to get the "latest, greatest" high end device. They seem to be cutting edge for about a minute nowadays. I was all set to get a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and now I am thinking about the Toshiba tablet.

Ask your therapist if he is accepting new patients!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that I'm a long time Samsung hater (my wife and I just hit a critical mass of bad experiences...even some pre-Android phones), but honestly I'm ready to take the GS2 line seriously at this point. And I definitely want NFC. Although to be honest if no good Verizon phones show up by this fall I may just hop to Sprint for the Nexus 3.

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Awesome question!! :)

No I would not. I'm pretty much in love with the SAMOLED + screen on the Samsung. I will say that the Bionic unlocked would be a beast. Would make for one of the best developer phones out there in my opinion. I'm just partial to the Samsungs screen.

I do like the Bionic and think people are getting a great phone its just not my cup of tea at this time. I do REALLY REALLY like Motorola though. Hey this what makes Android great. We get so many choices accept on Verizon lol.

Sent from my Droid

So it's the display and the "smoothness" of the GSII that you like.. hmm i see.

mrpaulc

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
No NFC on the Droid Bionic? Fail!

They held the device back to make it the cream of the crop. Yet over 6 months after the first Android phone debuted with NFC; the Droid Bionic, the phone that is supposed to be as big as the Original Droid, does not have NFC.

Is anyone as pissed about this as I am? Sure NFC doesn't mean that much today, but give it another 6-8 months and we will all be wishing we had NFC on our two year contracts....

I could not agree more!! I have been waiting for NFC ever since I heard about. I even considered the Nexus S because of NFC but decided to hold off for the Bionic. This sucks!

Does anyone know what the next high end Android phone with NFC is?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1