What now?

jax_droid

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Now that the tiered pricing has been announced, what will you do? Wait for the Bionic to come out, or pick up one of the other 4G phones.
I'm really thinking of getting the Samsung Charge and the fact that it's $199 on Amazon right now, makes it a liitle sweeter. What to do, what to do!?!?!?!?

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I have come to the realization I will have to give up on the dream that is Bionic......I just have to decide between Xperia (the gamer in me loves the gamepad), the Charge (closest thing out there to Bionic) or the Revolution (least interested in of the 3 but its a 4G option). Its raining today and it now matches my mood.....gloomy. The only way I see me getting a bionic is if they will honor the upgrades after 7 July to keep unlimited like it was mentioned in note 2 of the article that is flying around from droidlife.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have come to the realization I will have to give up on the dream that is Bionic......I just have to decide between Xperia (the gamer in me loves the gamepad), the Charge (closest thing out there to Bionic) or the Revolution (least interested in of the 3 but its a 4G option). Its raining today and it now matches my mood.....gloomy. The only way I see me getting a bionic is if they will honor the upgrades after 7 July to keep unlimited like it was mentioned in note 2 of the article that is flying around from droidlife.
Just oredered the Charge off Amazon. It gets here on Thursday. Which will also be the day the Bionic gets annoucned to be officially released on July 6th, lol

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Just oredered the Charge off Amazon. It gets here on Thursday. Which will also be the day the Bionic gets annoucned to be officially released on July 6th, lol

ouch. I will probably be waiting till the last possible minute to pull the trigger myself. Me and wife can't even do our upgrades till next thursday anyway. If I hear anything will probably jump on it but I doubt it. I will be on a road trip during this time frame so will probably have to hit a VZ store where I am gonig for vacation to upgrade LOL.

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Oxn...how do you know the bionic is announced on the 6th?

Well it's the thunderbolt vs. DX2 vs. Droid bionic with tiered.... Ughhhhhhh. I dont like the charge lol.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Oxn...how do you know the bionic is announced on the 6th?

Well it's the thunderbolt vs. DX2 vs. Droid bionic with tiered.... Ughhhhhhh. I dont like the charge lol.
i was just kidding about the date, but crap like that always happen to me.

Well im not going to be looking back on this. I should have done it long ago.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
i was just kidding about the date, but crap like that always happen to me.

Well im not going to be looking back on this. I should have done it long ago.
Im not too worried, as far as i know Bionic is not a big enough leap over Charge for me to care in terms of specs. Ill just buy a off contract phone when a big leap phone appears. Like a 1.8gig OMAP dual core.

As far as i know, fast dual core > semi fast quad core.

CloeHokie

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Now that the tiered pricing has been announced, what will you do? Wait for the Bionic to come out, or pick up one of the other 4G phones.
I'm really thinking of getting the Samsung Charge and the fact that it's $199 on Amazon right now, makes it a liitle sweeter. What to do, what to do!?!?!?!?
Where were the data plans announced? All I saw was speculation. And those are the current rates for tethering and using an aircard.

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

I found out what im going to do.. I'm going to get the Droid X2 on June 29th ( I've got a loyalty discount from Verizon via mail for $50 off my next phone w/ 2 year. end June 30th ) and if the Droid 3 comes out hopefully before the tiered data I'll return my X2 to get the Droid 3. If not, well, life goes on.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I found out what im going to do.. I'm going to get the Droid X2 on June 29th ( I've got a loyalty discount from Verizon via mail for $50 off my next phone w/ 2 year. end June 30th ) and if the Droid 3 comes out hopefully before the tiered data I'll return my X2 to get the Droid 3. If not, well, life goes on.
Sound plan, if you dont mind 3G for the next 2 years.

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Sound plan, if you dont mind 3G for the next 2 years.
yeah, it's w/e. 3G w/ unlim for the next 2 years or 2GB per month for the next 2 years w/ 4G. (and 4g comes to my city by the end of summer. If my vzw rep wasn't lying.)

It's my first smartphone. so i'm going to be exploring it in + out.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah, it's w/e. 3G w/ unlim for the next 2 years or 2GB per month for the next 2 years w/ 4G. (and 4g comes to my city by the end of summer. If my vzw rep wasn't lying.)

And any of the 3 avaiable 4G options just wont do?

Not TB not Charge not Revolution?

Its my first smartphone as well. i went with the Charge.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd rat her have dual core over 4g. And the ffc is not a deal breaker neither is the screen on the charge
Thats cool

Now i hate to wait till thursday; my estimated delivery date.

So excited for my first Smartphone. I probably will get little sleep that night.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
No clue what I am doing yet, but I guess if the current phones are the only options before tiered, it is between the Bolt which the wife now has or the Charge.

Suggestions?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No clue what I am doing yet, but I guess if the current phones are the only options before tiered, it is between the Bolt which the wife now has or the Charge.

Suggestions?
Ill say Charge

better battery life, a more unique look, i prefer the physical buttons.

If it ever gets touchwiz 4.0 then we are in for a treat.

And i expect it to, if they want to live up to the Droid name.

ShiZero

May 28, 2011
alliszero.deviantart.com

While I don't think the DX2 is comparable in any way to this, I may have a story to tell:

Back in May of last year, I too went ahead and made the switch to a smartphone. I went to the store to check out the Android phones they had, barely a few weeks after the Incredible came out, and a few days before the DX came out...

And I saw an Eris, at a nice discounted price of $99 for two years after MIR. I thought, "heck, it's my first smartphone, I don't even know what I can do with this thing and I'm probably sure as hell I'm not going to do much with it."

Boy was I wrong. Within ten weeks I was abusing that thing like a mother****er and it didn't take me long to see how limited the device was. It lagged, took super long to switch home screens or open apps.. a genuine pain in the butt. Rooting and custom roms did get some more life out of it, and the CM7 port was also a huge improvement over stock... but still can't deny the hardware limitations it had.

Long story short, I should've waited a few more weeks for the Incredible or D2 or DX. I would probably have been much happier then, even if it did cost me 100 bucks more.

In your case, the lack of LTE in your area is a good point, but I'm fairly sure that if you use data heavily, you could regret not getting it now. Just my two cents.

As for me, I think my relationship with Verizon is over. Even through the ridiculously overpriced plans,
the stupid billing policies and the hundreds I had to pay for stupid **** that I didn't foresee, nothing disappointed me more than getting a high-end smartphone with the latest technology and end up with as good signal strength at work as my two year-old Eris (read: none at all). The reason I was so intent on getting a new phone was to get better usage out of it, but obviously that isn't gonna fly. The Bionic was my dream phone, but in between delays and VZW's tiered plans, the tides in its favor have turned a while ago.

I spent a few hours yesterday going over various options that I had and over two years I can save $800~ by going with a prepaid carrier if I cancel my contract now and eat the ETF. So the Charge is probably going back, and I'll be stuck on a feature phone 'till I get the money to get an unlocked G2X or something similar. I'll miss it, but such is life.

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
yeah good points. I do spend most of my time with my ipod touch either on facebook youtube these forums and pandora. Youtube and Pandora is what im worried about. and maybe in the future sign up with netflix so i could use it on the Droid + Xbox

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I guess I?d really like July 1 to come and have all the people in the Tbolt forum tell us that with the 2.3.4 update they received, all the issues they have with the phone have been fixed, aside from the batt issues.

If the short batt issue on the Tbolt was truly the only issue it had, I think I could live with it.

-Suntan