What now?

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
What now?

For me it's a Charge (off contract too fml), maybe followed by a contract with Sprint after my VZW contract officially hits its end.

Some quick, rough napkin math here, Assuming a new upgrade every 18months (the terms of the NE2 program) and a phone price of $300w/ renewal (Charge's price, I can't imagine Bionic/GSII will be cheaper) and roughly a $700 phone at full retail comes to saving $400 over 18Months, or ~$22a month spread around. At the proposed 5GB data cap, the plan is already $20 more a month than the $30Unlimited option.

So, you probably won't be saving any money holding onto a grandfathered plan, but if you ever meet/exceed 5GB/Month, it would be a very small price increase to keep your unlimited, as well as keep you on an open ended contract (assuming they don't force you to change, and you can hold it indefinitely).... Charge for me now it seems.

Last edited:

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
What now?

For me it's a Charge (off contract too fml), maybe followed by a contract with Sprint after my VZW contract officially hits its end.

Some quick, rough napkin math here, Assuming a new upgrade every 18months (the terms of the NE2 program) and a phone price of $300w/ renewal (Charge's price, I can't imagine Bionic/GSII will be cheaper) and roughly a $700 phone at full retail comes to saving $400 over 18Months, or ~$22a month spread around. At the proposed 5GB data cap, the plan is already $20 more a month than the $30Unlimited option.

So, you probably won't be saving any money holding onto a grandfathered plan, but if you ever meet/exceed 5GB/Month, it would be a very small price increase to keep your unlimited, as well as keep you on an open ended contract (assuming they don't force you to change, and you can hold it indefinitely).... Charge for me now it seems.
I believ its every 20months

The Charge is 200 on Amazon right now

and off contract on verizons site has been lowered, max is like 569 pre tax

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

You can also get the charge for $180 at costco.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Appreciate the info/correction, interestingly it makes an even better case for me to jump on the Charge now.

Jay A whY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Almost here..

Yesterday I was able to search for the Droid Bionic on the Motorola website and pulled its home page but it wouldn't finish loading (Sorry no screen shot).. Today I searched for it and it threw it into the product comparison..

Droid_Bionic.jpg

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i was just kidding about the date, but crap like that always happen to me.

Well im not going to be looking back on this. I should have done it long ago.

That's what I was trying to tell ya my friend! :D

Seriously, you'll like the Charge just fine, the screen is beautiful and my friend with an iPhone 4 keeps begging me to trade, because of how much faster my phone is in every way. Sure, its not the most powerful hardware, but Hummingbird is pretty robust, and holds its own against the dual-cores for most everything you'll use it for at the present time.

There's also a TON of development for it already, if that's your thing, and its very easy and safe to flash ROM's and kernels that significantly improve the phone, thanks to all the existing development for the Galaxy S and Fascinate especially. And Gingerbread is coming, they're working on it, and a build has already leaked for the Fascinate, so no worries there.

The way I look at it, the Charge will keep me more than satisfied until something much better than the Bionic is available.

testt

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Seriously, you'll like the Charge just fine, the screen is beautiful and my friend with an iPhone 4 keeps begging me to trade, because of how much faster my phone is in every way. Sure, its not the most powerful hardware, but Hummingbird is pretty robust, and holds its own against the dual-cores for most everything you'll use it for at the present time.

There's also a TON of development for it already, if that's your thing, and its very easy and safe to flash ROM's and kernels that significantly improve the phone, thanks to all the existing development for the Galaxy S and Fascinate especially. And Gingerbread is coming, they're working on it, and a build has already leaked for the Fascinate, so no worries there.

The way I look at it, the Charge will keep me more than satisfied until something much better than the Bionic is available.

I pretty much have one option left and that is the Charge. I'm guessing it's extremely slim for the GSII to come out before tiered?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I know nothing of rooting and custom roms, since i have never owned a smartphone in my life.

However im pretty good with techs, so ill pick it up. I do however want to feel out android for a while before i start messing around, so ill give it a few weeks before i look into rooting and what not. I have seen the video of altered beast, and i am amazed.

When that time comes ill be looking to you for help.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I know nothing of rooting and custom roms, since i have never owned a smartphone in my life.

However im pretty good with techs, so ill pick it up. I do however want to feel out android for a while before i start messing around, so ill give it a few weeks before i look into rooting and what not. I have seen the video of altered beast, and i am amazed.

When that time comes ill be looking to you for help.

Yeah, this was my first smartphone as well, though I do have experience with Linux and helped market Android when it first came out. But I did a bunch of reading those first 2 weeks, and as soon as those 2 weeks were up, I jumped right in and it couldn't be easier. :)

But I'd definitely spend some time familiarizing yourself with Android first if you're not too familiar with it yet, that also gives you time to really appreciate the improvements you'll make. But rest-assured its near impossible to break this phone, and its really easy to flash everything back to bone stock if you need to make a claim. Everything is pretty straightforward once you've read a little bit, but I'll definitely be glad to help you out with whatever. Just hit me up if there's anything you can't find an answer to over there or on xda and I'll do my best to show you the light. :cool:

Again, it remains to be seen how many areas the Bionic will beat the Charge in, and what advantages the Charge may still have (screen, unlocked bootloader, maybe battery life?). But the fact is, if we didn't spend all our time on forums like this, and didn't really know what hardware it had inside or what else was out there, you'd have a hard time believing this wasn't the best phone out there. And if you're anything like me, you'll breathe a huge sigh of relief once you actually get the phone in your hands and no longer need to care about the Bionic's release date or the cutoff for unlimited data, that part feels great! :D

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For the people that are deciding to make the jump on the 6th.

You should becareful of doing it that late. I remember 1 or 2 months back when they were removing the 1 year plan they also gave a cutoff date. However i cant remmeber if it was either the online store or the B&M stores were already removing the option ahead of time.

So watch out there.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
For the people that are deciding to make the jump on the 6th.

You should becareful of doing it that late. I remember 1 or 2 months back when they were removing the 1 year plan they also gave a cutoff date. However i cant remmeber if it was either the online store or the B&M stores were already removing the option ahead of time.

So watch out there.

It was online and for all of the third-party resellers. You could still go into a brick and mortar store and ask them specifically, or call customer service and beg. But good point, if you're hoping to take advantage of special pricing through a third-party, or order it off the website, it would probably be best to order it sooner rather than later.

We don't know for sure whether July 7th will be the cut-off, or the date they announce a cut-off in another week or two, like they did with one-years, but don't expect a new device release or significant price drop on any hot new devices until after tiered hits, it just wouldn't make sense for them to do that.

testt

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It was online and for all of the third-party resellers. You could still go into a brick and mortar store and ask them specifically, or call customer service and beg. But good point, if you're hoping to take advantage of special pricing through a third-party, or order it off the website, it would probably be best to order it sooner rather than later.

We don't know for sure whether July 7th will be the cut-off, or the date they announce a cut-off in another week or two, like they did with one-years, but don't expect a new device release or significant price drop on any hot new devices until after tiered hits, it just wouldn't make sense for them to do that.

It would be awesome if the GSII released, because it really pains me knowing I'm getting the same device which was basically released a year ago, except this one has LTE and a little better screen.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
June 30th is when I pull the trigger on a Charge. Did some soul searching today after the leak and I think it will be ok. I was pissed off but now its like since there is really NOTHING any of us can do about it, I figure make the best of it and from what I hear of the charge it isn't that big of a step down from the Bionic specs. I can definately thank VZ for forcing my hand considering I have waited since CES for this dang phone (yes, seething with sarcasm).

*Salute*
Good bye Bionic, you were a cruel but smoking hot mistress.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Here is an interesting post on the comments from the post AC put up. Read the last section carefully:

"Originally posted by balthuszar

i also received an e-mail from a Nicole at VZW customer service...here is the paragraph concerning data:

We are delighted about your continued interest in Verizon Wireless products and services. My name is Nicole and I am happy to address your concerns as it relates to 4G data plans. I can truly understand why you are concerned. Mr. Mann, if you upgrade to a 4G device, we only offer the same types of data plans for our 4G devices that we currently offer for our 3G devices. Any data that you stream directly from your wireless handset listening to Google Music will be included in the Unlimited $29.99 data plan. If you reside in an area that does not currently have 4G coverage, all 4G devices are backwards compatible (can access, and are compatible with the 3G network) and you will be able to access the 3G network. There are only two price point for data plans with 4G and 3G devices, so the most that you will experience is 3G speeds, in areas where 4G is not present or available. The cost will remain the same. I have addressed your concerns on your ability to upgrade your plan if 4G becomes available in your area after you upgrade below.

If changes are made to the way we bill for 4G data, and you qualify for the pricing, you will be able to migrate without any extension to your agreement. Please be reminded, we no longer require extensions in your agreement for calling plan changes. Additionally, data plans are features, and are non-contract bearing."

Seems like Grandfathering may NOT be possible.

Last edited:

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Here is an interesting post on the comments from the post AC put up. Read the last section carefully:

"Originally posted by balthuszar

i also received an e-mail from a Nicole at VZW customer service...here is the paragraph concerning data:

We are delighted about your continued interest in Verizon Wireless products and services. My name is Nicole and I am happy to address your concerns as it relates to 4G data plans. I can truly understand why you are concerned. Mr. Mann, if you upgrade to a 4G device, we only offer the same types of data plans for our 4G devices that we currently offer for our 3G devices. Any data that you stream directly from your wireless handset listening to Google Music will be included in the Unlimited $29.99 data plan. If you reside in an area that does not currently have 4G coverage, all 4G devices are backwards compatible (can access, and are compatible with the 3G network) and you will be able to access the 3G network. There are only two price point for data plans with 4G and 3G devices, so the most that you will experience is 3G speeds, in areas where 4G is not present or available. The cost will remain the same. I have addressed your concerns on your ability to upgrade your plan if 4G becomes available in your area after you upgrade below.

If changes are made to the way we bill for 4G data, and you qualify for the pricing, you will be able to migrate without any extension to your agreement. Please be reminded, we no longer require extensions in your agreement for calling plan changes. Additionally, data plans are features, and are non-contract bearing."

Seems like Grandfathering may NOT be possible.

I am not following. How did you make the leap that they wouldn't be grandfathering?? it just sounds like you would be able to change your data plan at a later time and not extend your contract.

testt

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I am not following. How did you make the leap that they wouldn't be grandfathering?? it just sounds like you would be able to change your data plan at a later time and not extend your contract.

"Please be reminded, we no longer require extensions in your agreement for calling plan changes. Additionally, data plans are features, and are non-contract bearing."

It means they can change your calling and data plans without your permission or altering your contract in any way. Let me say there is zero chance that Verizon would alter data plans for customers with active contracts due to the large amount of backlash they would obtain.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo