- 44 Posts
Now that the tiered pricing has been announced, what will you do? Wait for the Bionic to come out, or pick up one of the other 4G phones.
I'm really thinking of getting the Samsung Charge and the fact that it's $199 on Amazon right now, makes it a liitle sweeter. What to do, what to do!?!?!?!?
- 06-20-2011, 01:55 PM #2
I have come to the realization I will have to give up on the dream that is Bionic......I just have to decide between Xperia (the gamer in me loves the gamepad), the Charge (closest thing out there to Bionic) or the Revolution (least interested in of the 3 but its a 4G option). Its raining today and it now matches my mood.....gloomy. The only way I see me getting a bionic is if they will honor the upgrades after 7 July to keep unlimited like it was mentioned in note 2 of the article that is flying around from droidlife.
- 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM #3
- 06-20-2011, 02:12 PM #4
- 06-20-2011, 02:12 PM #5
- 06-20-2011, 02:14 PM #6
- 06-20-2011, 02:17 PM #7
- 06-20-2011, 02:20 PM #8
- 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM #9
- 06-20-2011, 03:20 PM #10
- 06-20-2011, 03:30 PM #11
- 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM #12
- 06-20-2011, 03:38 PM #13
- 06-20-2011, 03:44 PM #14
- 06-20-2011, 03:50 PM #15
- 06-20-2011, 03:58 PM #16
- 06-20-2011, 04:03 PM #17
- 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM #18
- 230 Posts
- KaosGingerbread (CM7)
Back in May of last year, I too went ahead and made the switch to a smartphone. I went to the store to check out the Android phones they had, barely a few weeks after the Incredible came out, and a few days before the DX came out...
And I saw an Eris, at a nice discounted price of $99 for two years after MIR. I thought, "heck, it's my first smartphone, I don't even know what I can do with this thing and I'm probably sure as hell I'm not going to do much with it."
Boy was I wrong. Within ten weeks I was abusing that thing like a mother****er and it didn't take me long to see how limited the device was. It lagged, took super long to switch home screens or open apps.. a genuine pain in the ****. Rooting and custom roms did get some more life out of it, and the CM7 port was also a huge improvement over stock... but still can't deny the hardware limitations it had.
Long story short, I should've waited a few more weeks for the Incredible or D2 or DX. I would probably have been much happier then, even if it did cost me 100 bucks more.
In your case, the lack of LTE in your area is a good point, but I'm fairly sure that if you use data heavily, you could regret not getting it now. Just my two cents.
As for me, I think my relationship with Verizon is over. Even through the ridiculously overpriced plans,
the stupid billing policies and the hundreds I had to pay for stupid **** that I didn't foresee, nothing disappointed me more than getting a high-end smartphone with the latest technology and end up with as good signal strength at work as my two year-old Eris (read: none at all). The reason I was so intent on getting a new phone was to get better usage out of it, but obviously that isn't gonna fly. The Bionic was my dream phone, but in between delays and VZW's tiered plans, the tides in its favor have turned a while ago.
I spent a few hours yesterday going over various options that I had and over two years I can save $800~ by going with a prepaid carrier if I cancel my contract now and eat the ETF. So the Charge is probably going back, and I'll be stuck on a feature phone 'till I get the money to get an unlocked G2X or something similar. I'll miss it, but such is life.
- 06-20-2011, 05:04 PM #19
- 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM #20
- 1,400 Posts
If the short batt issue on the Tbolt was truly the only issue it had, I think I could live with it.
- 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM #21
For me it's a Charge (off contract too fml), maybe followed by a contract with Sprint after my VZW contract officially hits its end.
Some quick, rough napkin math here, Assuming a new upgrade every 18months (the terms of the NE2 program) and a phone price of $300w/ renewal (Charge's price, I can't imagine Bionic/GSII will be cheaper) and roughly a $700 phone at full retail comes to saving $400 over 18Months, or ~$22a month spread around. At the proposed 5GB data cap, the plan is already $20 more a month than the $30Unlimited option.
So, you probably won't be saving any money holding onto a grandfathered plan, but if you ever meet/exceed 5GB/Month, it would be a very small price increase to keep your unlimited, as well as keep you on an open ended contract (assuming they don't force you to change, and you can hold it indefinitely).... Charge for me now it seems.
Last edited by Drosul; 06-20-2011 at 06:16 PM.
- 06-20-2011, 06:16 PM #22
- 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM #23
- 06-20-2011, 06:43 PM #24
- 06-20-2011, 06:45 PM #25