Trying to get on Verizon before 7/7

NeedABionic

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on an iPhone with AT&T and FINALLY off contract and can't wait to get away from them both. I want the Bionic because I'm not settling for a phone I'm not going to want. Problem I'm obviously having is that I want to get locked in the unlimited data plan before 7/7.

So here's my question: Would it be worth it - or even doable - if I just buy any Verizon smartphone on 7/6, and just keep exchanging it every 14 days - before the return date passes - until the Bionic comes out? I am aware of the $35 restocking fee or whatever, but I figure in the long run it would be worth it because I plan on staying with Verizon for the rest of my life, or theirs... whichever ends first lol. At least this way I'll lock in the unlimited data. Opinions...?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on an iPhone with AT&T and FINALLY off contract and can't wait to get away from them both. I want the Bionic because I'm not settling for a phone I'm not going to want. Problem I'm obviously having is that I want to get locked in the unlimited data plan before 7/7.

So here's my question: Would it be worth it - or even doable - if I just buy any Verizon smartphone on 7/6, and just keep exchanging it every 14 days - before the return date passes - until the Bionic comes out? I am aware of the $35 restocking fee or whatever, but I figure in the long run it would be worth it because I plan on staying with Verizon for the rest of my life, or theirs... whichever ends first lol. At least this way I'll lock in the unlimited data. Opinions...?
its 14days from your first purchase

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Get a used VZW device on EBAY. Droid Eris or something like that

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
$40 Blackberry Curve on eBay, then pay for next day air just to be sure you get it in time. Activate a new VZW account and then use a new upgrade discount later. (I am only assuming that this will work and am not certain, go in to a Verizon store and ask a rep to be sure you can hold off on the discount with activating a used phone.)

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

You only get 1 return then you are stuck with the second phone.

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried this when the one year contracts went extinct, if you get a new phone/contract before 7/7 and then return the device within 14 days you WILL be starting a new contract with the new device. I tried to buy/upgrade to an incredible in hopes of returning and getting the incredible two within the two weeks, they said sure you can bring it back, but that i would lose my one year contract and be switched over to a two year plan.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering doing this. Hopefully, it will work out well.

I'm crossing my fingers it comes out right at the end of July because that would be at the end of my 30 days. I have the Charge now, and would prefer to just be able to exchange it instead of having to go through all the ebay nonsense.

adinofaries

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
$40 Blackberry Curve on eBay, then pay for next day air just to be sure you get it in time. Activate a new VZW account and then use a new upgrade discount later. (I am only assuming that this will work and am not certain, go in to a Verizon store and ask a rep to be sure you can hold off on the discount with activating a used phone.)

You cant. i already tried

sprite25

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on AT&T with an iPhone and I'm going to switch to Verizon. I bought a Blackberry on criagslist for 40 bucks and I'm going to activate it on 7/6 for the unlimited data plan. I spoke to 2 store reps from two different areas and one person from the corporate and I confirmed this:

Once you have the unlimited plan, you will be grandfathered in

Since I'm activating a line with my own phone I will not be under contract, this means I will be able to upgrade to the bionic at the 2 year contract price when it comes out

Not only will I be able to get it at the contract price, I will be able to port my phone number when I'm ready to upgrade as well (I'm going to keep my iphone until the bionic comes out)

See ya AT&T and Apple, I don't care if I have to pay a termination fee!

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Just did this exact thing for my wife ... She had an EnV Touch, waiting on the Droid 3. I just picked her up a used D2 Global off CraigsList for $100 and had it activated. Screen has some scratches but she has her unlimited data plan now. Once the D3 comes out she will use her upgrade for that. The D2G will find a new home via CraigsList. I'm sure I'll get my money back.

ClemC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
MANY, MANY thanks to bworley50!!! for the idea of buying a used phone on ebay just to activate and lock in the unlimited data plan. I was doing just that when the idea suddenly struck me that I had an old HTC VX6900 smartphone sitting in my closet. So, I called Verizon and asked if I could activate that phone with an unlimited data plan and the lady said "sure" and proceeded to activate my phone with the unlimited data plan! Problem solved! Now comes the waiting for the Bionic. Hope I'm not disappointed.:D