Will Moto be around in the near future?

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Let's not even talk about how Samsung is going to beat them to the LTE market with their tab. How does that happen. All I hear is excuses for them. You can't figure out how to get LTE to work on your product(s) find another business.

Man, CK, you aren't pulling any punches today! Having a bad day, are we? :D

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Moto's biggest mistake was not getting the bionic out in April, when it was initially supposed to be released. A bionic then, would have blown away the TBolt/Charge, and been a huge boom to their first/second quarter statements.

Instead, Moto's 1st/2nd quarter statements include the Atrix (which isn't a failure, but I wouldn't consider it a huge success either ), and the Xoom (which is a failure all around, especially on it's "4g/LTE")

Now Moto has to compete their Bionic, in the 3rd quarter, against a superior product in the GSII, and a much more popular product in the newest iphone... Moto is in trouble and they only have themselves to blame.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Man, CK, you aren't pulling any punches today! Having a bad day, are we? :D

Having a fantastic day but pretty perturbed at Motorola. Roaring doesn't assuage my feelings anymore. So all I have is this keyboard and my thoughts. They get tossed into the ether for all to see.

Perhaps I'm just simply insane. Hmmmm. Something for me to definitely ponder.......

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I would not go as far to say the GSII will be a superior product until The Bionic is released. It is very possible the GSII will out perform the Bionic, But it is also possible it will not. Not to mention we are probably comparing LTE to 3G, unless Sammy throws us a winger.
As far as Samsung Charge goes, the only person I know who has one is now waiting on their 3rd one to be mailed to him and he bought his first only 2 weeks ago. Don't know if anyone else is having Sim Card, Calling and texting issues but he swears if this one comes out of the Box bad like the last two he will buy the ThunderBolt and forget about the Charge.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I would not go as far to say the GSII will be a superior product until The Bionic is released. It is very possible the GSII will out perform the Bionic, But it is also possible it will not..
I've yet to see a Motorola Android product or ANY Android product for that matter perform at the level the Galaxy SII is. Forget benchmarks, they are meaningless in my honest opinion (even though the Galaxy SII kills everthing in sight), the GSII is by far the smoothest and fastest Android handset out there. They have managed to get the hardware/software relationship perfected like no one else.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Some very good points in this thread, I'm glad so many people share my thoughts. I too was impressed with Moto back in the day, I had a number of Moto clamshells and loved their superior signal strength and call quality. I lusted after a RAZR but Alltel didn't get them for some time, and when they did I couldn't afford it at the time. Still, they had created desire. They left us with nothing for awhile there, but finally they came out with the Droid. I do retail marketing contracts, and when I took one to promote Google's new OS, I was overjoyed. I loved playing with and using the Droid, though I did think it felt big and awkward, and relished the opportunity to put it in the hands of iOS and Blackberry users and show them how much more this device could do for them. If only I hadn't just upgraded, haha, it was such a great phone and I thought Moto was really on track.

Fast forward to today, and the only truly innovative things they have done is made it even bigger and removed the keyboard (X), and offered an accessory dock that costs twice as much as a decent netbook while having zero independent functionality, has the most awkward spot to mount your phone to ensure you'll never actually use it on your lap, and may damage your phone if you shut it quickly or try to slip it into a bag without detaching it first. And despite it simply being an accessory keyboard and screen for the EXACT SAME HARDWARE, you also get to pay a tethering fee to use it. That's it for innovation in the past 2 years, the Droid X and the Atrix lapdock. Everything else is sequels, flops, and broken promises.

Moto is on the same path to irrelevancy that Palm, Nokia, and RIM have taken. Underestimate the competition, rest on their laurels, and fail to deliver. A company must continue to deliver exciting NEW products that keep people interested, especially in something so fast-paced as the smartphone world. Here people are conditioned to buy new devices frequently, this is a playground of manufactured obsolescence. This means that product life-cycles are relatively short, so if people are happy with your product now, you'd better have something else in the pipelines that makes them even happier, rather then the same old device with some extra seasoning, or they'll go somewhere else. A successful device is NOT a time to rest, its a rally call to get into high gear with product development, and market it successfully. Of course part of this successful marketing is actually delivering what you promise, both to individual consumers and corporate partners. Brand loyalty? Please- most people don't care what they have, they buy what they want NOW and is actually available.

Ultimately, I don't think Moto is going away in the near future, I certainly hope not. But I do think they are setting themselves up to be an also-ran in need of a major game-changer to put them back up top, just where they were 2 years ago. They have the ability to deliver, I just don't know that they will. The Bionic could still be really great, and I hope it is. But at this late date, I seriously doubt its gonna be a game-changer. We're now well into the next generation of mobile devices, and everyone else has dual-core flagship devices with great power and a slick OS. Yes, they don't have LTE, but the average consumer honestly doesn't see that as that big of a deal yet (though they certainly should), not to mention everybody now has devices they can market as 4G, whether they are or not. The fact is, this will be yet another superphone, rather than a standout, by the time it launches. A month from now, we'll be hearing quite the buzz about the GS2 variants, the next iPhone, and likely the Nexus Prime (or other ICS devices). Even if there isn't much hype yet by then, we'll still be near enough to their launch that Apple and Samsung can simply unveil their marketing campaigns early and kill the Bionic's momentum if it really starts to pick up. I'm not saying it won't be great, but it could easily be overwhelmed, and things don't look good.

But if this is simply a DX2 with a TI chip and LTE, maybe they deserve to lose. Yes, LTE is great, and OMAP 4>Tegra 2. But such technical differences don't matter if you can't market it, if it doesn't have its own unique "wow" factor. You've got to create desire and make people lust after it, did anyone read the open letter from inside RIM? Unfortunately it seems rather difficult to create much wow-factor or desire with the same old Blur on yet another Pentile screen stuffed into a year-old shell...

For those of us here who were pushed away from the Bionic and now own a Charge, notice how many things are unique about it. Samsung realized they'd be re-hashing old hardware, since that's how long it takes to develop a first-gen device. Yet rather than ignore that fact and act like it was completely redeemed because of the fundamental feature of it, LTE, they made it as unique as they could. The average consumer unfortunately does not yet understand why LTE is such an advantage, or really see it as a huge selling point, they just know 4G should be faster than 3G. But they do notice the unique shield shape, the contoured back, and the prominent physical buttons. Love it or hate it, it sure stands out. And then you unlock it and see that gorgeous screen, nothing boring about that. See Moto, Samsung doesn't think its alright to release the same phone with minor technical improvements the average customer won't notice or understand. They know you need to make it new and exciting, give it something to make it unique. They so hated having to re-use the old SGS hardware that they made a strong effort to make it stand out as much as possible in every other way. And it shows, the Charge is a huge hit, despite the old chip, while your dual-core DX2 rots on store shelves and the Bionic is still nowhere to be seen. Take a lesson here from the guys on top, and think about how they got there. Good luck Moto, you're going to need it.

/

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I've yet to see a Motorola Android product or ANY Android product for that matter perform at the level the Galaxy SII is. Forget benchmarks, they are meaningless in my honest opinion (even though the Galaxy SII kills everthing in sight), the GSII is by far the smoothest and fastest Android handset out there. They have managed to get the hardware/software relationship perfected like no one else.

So how much time have you spent with the GSII?? Checking out a couple reviews and YouTube videos is also pretty meaningless as far as I am concerned. Not saying your wrong, just don't think you can state that as a matter of fact unless you have spent some real quality time with the device.

Reactions: shipwrestler125
Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
So how much time have you spent with the GSII?? Checking out a couple reviews and YouTube videos is also pretty meaningless as far as I am concerned. Not saying your wrong, just don't think you can state that as a matter of fact unless you have spent some real quality time with the device.

Most likely just looked at all the reviews and thinks he is an expert lmao.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I've spent zero time on it but videos don't lie. View some good videos that take you through the device and watch how smooth it is. Works the other way as well. You don't need to own or touch a device to see lag on it if its a well done video.

Check out videos of the Photon and see the lag and redraws.

I know I know its not even released yet, but how many times have we heard that.

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I think you can glean quite a bit from the numerous reviews and hands-on videos, particularly from the standpoint of how smooth the device operates. You can clearly see the smooth transitions when scrolling, pulling up new application windows, web browsing, etc., on the GSII. These are the same things that show noticeable lag or "unsmooth" transitions on other reviews and hands-on videos for other phones while doing the exact same operations. So while there's no real substitute for your own hands-on experience, I think you can still make an apples-to-apples comparison since they're all trying to do or show the same things.

Reactions: Castor Troy

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I've spent zero time on it but videos don't lie. View some good videos that take you through the device and watch how smooth it is. Works the other way as well. You don't need to own or touch a device to see lag on it if its a well done video.

Check out videos of the Photon and see the lag and redraws.

I know I know its not even released yet, but how many times have we heard that.

Sent from my Droid

Videos can, and do, lie all the time. I am sure that I could record a video of my OG Droid and make it appear that it had no lag whatsoever. Again, I have no idea if the SGSII is as "buttery smooth" as everyone claims. Maybe it is, but the only way to know for sure is to have one in your hands for a week or two actually using it as a daily device loaded with all the stuff that we like to throw on our phones. Until then it is all speculation.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Videos can, and do, lie all the time. I am sure that I could record a video of my OG Droid and make it appear that it had no lag whatsoever. Again, I have no idea if the SGSII is as "buttery smooth" as everyone claims. Maybe it is, but the only way to know for sure is to have one in your hands for a week or two actually using it as a daily device loaded with all the stuff that we like to throw on our phones. Until then it is all speculation.

True, but I know I'm not basing my opinion on videos of some guy trying to fool anyone. I'm looking at videos from reputable websites who have no vested interest in any particular phone and provide a unbiased review of not only the GSII, but all phones. I'm sure CK is basing his opinion on the same things.

Reactions: Castor Troy

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
True, but I know I'm not basing my opinion on videos of some guy trying to fool anyone. I'm looking at videos from reputable websites who have no vested interest in any particular phone and provide a unbiased review of not only the GSII, but all phones. I'm sure CK is basing his opinion on the same things.

Everyone has biases, and most websites have some form or another of vested interests involved in everything they do. I take everything I read or see on the internet with a grain of salt.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
exactly..

Come on rkeller lol. I can just imagine Aaron over at phonedog manipulating his videos to make them look like all the others. Thats just ridiculous. Can't believe you said that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22