Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Will Moto be around in the near future?

I was reading that Moto is being downgraded and i realize they just split in two companies but I was wondering with all their issues do you think moto will be able to keep up their phones if they are having financial problems and don't have the resources. HTC, Samsung and the others seem to be profitable but Moto is still not profitable. I guess I was wondering if I should go with Samsung or HTC since they are stronger. I guess I am just excited for a beast like the Bionic.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

Default Re: Will Moto be around in the near future?

I think they will continue to be around. I mean just because they arent as large as some of the other companies they still make lots of phones and sell them all over the world. They probably will never get back to where they were after they made the OG droid but they will stay around.

Quote Originally Posted by apcman View Post
    I was reading that Moto is being downgraded and i realize they just split in two companies but I was wondering with all their issues do you think moto will be able to keep up their phones if they are having financial problems and don't have the resources. HTC, Samsung and the others seem to be profitable but Moto is still not profitable. I guess I was wondering if I should go with Samsung or HTC since they are stronger. I guess I am just excited for a beast like the Bionic.
    I am pretty sure that they will be around for a long time. If anything they might go the Sony route and make a Moto for Phones (I.E. Sony Ericson) and just keep all other electronics under the Moto brand, but even that I see as extreme at this point.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Quote Originally Posted by apcman View Post
    This phone has to be a true flagship device. Moto will be around for along time, desperately need some momentum.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bworley50 View Post
    This phone has to be a true flagship device. Moto will be around for along time, desperately need some momentum.
    From the specs and those that got a hold of it they say it is a flagship and worth waiting for. But we shall see how it turns out when more info and hopefully some reviewers get some hands on time.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts
    ROM
    Project Elite/Raid Zero

My prediction is that if they don't turn it around next year and strive to keep up with the ever changing Battle Field they will slip into obscurity. It will be Samsung, HTC and LG battling it out for the Android market share.

I said the same thing years ago about RIM and I was chastised on crackberry for saying such things, well guess whats going on with them?

Motorola is doing EXACTLY what they did when they had the RAZR and it hit big. Absolutely nothing. Sitting at a standstill and pushing out the same overdone crap from 6 months ago. HTC has come out with 3D, Samsung is pushing the envelope with new screens and a new UI, LG hitting the scene with monster specs, vanilla devices and 3D screens etc etc. Despite what we feel about 3D, TW 4.0, HTC's qHD or the SAMOLED + they are something fresh and new. Motorola keeps pushing out the same old stuff or insults the consumer with incermental updates to existing hardware.

Heck come out with a brand new type of Motoblur, not the one you've been using across the board on all your devices since the beginning of the year. Do something gimmicky with a 3D screen or introduce another type of screen not load up all your devices with the same old qHD pentile LCD. Atrix, Photon, DX2, Droid 3, Bionic all the same screen all the same Motoblur. Really Motorola? Dumping webtop on 3devices is cause for celebration? Was a huge hit on the Atrix lets put it on 2 more of our devices. There's a winning formula. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.

In short they need to get off their lazy arses and innovate. If they can't innovate, then copy what the other manufactures are doing. There's a reason they are flopping and if they don't wake up and wake up fast they can kiss it all goodbye. They can't expect to survive by being reactionary. By the time they react the race is over and the competion is onto the next race.
    Thanked by:
    corymcnutt and Cruiserdude like this.

ROM
    Bionic Stock Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    My prediction is that if they don't turn it around next year and strive to keep up with the ever changing Battle Field they will slip into obscurity. It will be Samsung, HTC and LG battling it out for the Android market share.

I said the same thing years ago about RIM and I was chastised on crackberry for saying such things, well guess whats going on with them?

Motorola is doing EXACTLY what they did when they had the RAZR and it hit big. Absolutely nothing. Sitting at a standstill and pushing out the same overdone crap from 6 months ago. HTC has come out with 3D, Samsung is pushing the envelope with new screens and a new UI, LG hitting the scene with monster specs, vanilla devices and 3D screens etc etc. Despite what we feel about 3D, TW 4.0, HTC's qHD or the SAMOLED + they are something fresh and new. Motorola keeps pushing out the same old stuff or insults the consumer with incermental updates to existing hardware.

Heck come out with a brand new type of Motoblur, not the one you've been using across the board on all your devices since the beginning of the year. Do something gimmicky with a 3D screen or introduce another type of screen not load up all your devices with the same old qHD pentile LCD. Atrix, Photon, DX2, Droid 3, Bionic all the same screen all the same Motoblur. Really Motorola? Dumping webtop on 3devices is cause for celebration? Was a huge hit on the Atrix lets put it on 2 more of our devices. There's a winning formula. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.

In short they need to get off their lazy arses and innovate. If they can't innovate, then copy what the other manufactures are doing. There's a reason they are flopping and if they don't wake up and wake up fast they can kiss it all goodbye. They can't expect to survive by being reactionary. By the time they react the race is over and the competion is onto the next race.
    Agreed 100% As a long time Moto fan it has been damned hard to root for them because they almost invariably shoot themselves in the foot. They come out with things that are just absolutely killer every so often and.. crickets.

Moto needs to fight as if their next breath depends on it, because it does. Moto needs to always be sexier, sleeker, more innovative, and even prettier, because they are in the fight of their lives. HTC, LG, and Samsung are never to be discounted or taken lightly - these are companies who constantly invent, innovate, tweak, and polish designs. They often have devices that catch the eye and leave people saying "that's cool". As CK said, Moto has this really unfortunate tendency of coming out with a killer device and then they rehash the same old crap until their competition has superceeded it in every way.

I can appreciate the fact that the Bionic got delayed - the company bets its reputation on every device released, but they really need to increase the pace and never let off the gas!

Moto blur - they need to do a better job listening to customers, period.

Moto has good products in the pipeline. If they can keep up the pressure on new products, they will do well.

RIM - now that is a company on the train wreck. I have a BB Storm, and I cannot believe how many BB Storm users are on this forum waiting for the Bionic to come out. As soon as the Bionic hits the shelves, I am off RIM, along with thousands of other folks.

The Bionic is going to be the killer device for Moto. This is going to be a huge hit for them, and RIM will all but disappear in the next 12 to 18 months.
    Thanked by 2:
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnydersWeb View Post
    Agreed 100% As a long time Moto fan it has been damned hard to root for them because they almost invariably shoot themselves in the foot. They come out with things that are just absolutely killer every so often and.. crickets.

Moto needs to fight as if their next breath depends on it, because it does. Moto needs to always be sexier, sleeker, more innovative, and even prettier, because they are in the fight of their lives. HTC, LG, and Samsung are never to be discounted or taken lightly - these are companies who constantly invent, innovate, tweak, and polish designs. They often have devices that catch the eye and leave people saying "that's cool". As CK said, Moto has this really unfortunate tendency of coming out with a killer device and then they rehash the same old crap until their competition has superceeded it in every way.

I can appreciate the fact that the Bionic got delayed - the company bets its reputation on every device released, but they really need to increase the pace and never let off the gas!

Moto blur - they need to do a better job listening to customers, period.
    The blur on the droid 3 and bionic is new it was like a 3d blur some were saying.

ROM
    Bionic Stock Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by shipwrestler125 View Post
    The blur on the droid 3 and bionic is new it was like a 3d blur some were saying.
    Meh, 3D doesn't make anything better. OK, more polish and fun but a UI also needs to make the phone more usable without sacrificing speed or usability. Thus far it has been crappy. Putting more polish on a turd doesn't turn it into gold.. it's still a turd.

My Wife's DroidX IMHO is harder to use than my OG Droid w/Cyanogen on it. Things that are easy to do on my Droid that is annoyingly difficult to do on my wife's phone.

I have no problems with Moto trying - but they need to have a way to remove it, disable it, or otherwise turn it off.
    Fanboi

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by SnydersWeb View Post
    Meh, 3D doesn't make anything better. OK, more polish and fun but a UI also needs to make the phone more usable without sacrificing speed or usability. Thus far it has been crappy. Putting more polish on a turd doesn't turn it into gold.. it's still a turd.

My Wife's DroidX IMHO is harder to use than my OG Droid w/Cyanogen on it. Things that are easy to do on my Droid that is annoyingly difficult to do on my wife's phone.

I have no problems with Moto trying - but they need to have a way to remove it, disable it, or otherwise turn it off.
    I wish they were the one company that would just accept that they are a hardware manufacturer and not a software company.

Everyone is trying so hard to be different with these different UIs, that it's gotten to the point where one of them would be different/unique if they would just release a vanilla device.

I have no doubt it would get better performance, too.

The one thing in Moto's favor is they know how to make PHONES.Generally speaking,Motorola devices get good reception,have quality speakerphones, and you can hear and be heard on them.I can't defend MotoBlur but it seems they're listening to consumers by toning down Blur or even eliminating it like they did with the new Triumph.I think implementing LTE and using Dual-Core technology has required a learning curve longer than most of us would have liked but I think they're over the hump.
    "I'm all jack'd up on Mountain Dew!"
    Thanked by 4:

ROM
    KaosGingerbread (CM7)

Well, I'm not a phone engineer but I do think there's more to implementing two cores and an LTE radio than just wrapping it all with duct tape. If the Bionic is successful enough, you can't really say Moto didn't deliver, 'cause it might not be the first Dual-core phone on the market, but it might just be the first dual-core 4G LTE one. They did miss the bus, though, and even if it releases early August, I think they're still behind the curve, LTE or not.

Here's to hoping it IS successful, comes with an unlocked bootloader and gathers a large following in the development community.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShiZero View Post
    Well, I'm not a phone engineer but I do think there's more to implementing two cores and an LTE radio than just wrapping it all with duct tape. If the Bionic is successful enough, you can't really say Moto didn't deliver, 'cause it might not be the first Dual-core phone on the market, but it might just be the first dual-core 4G LTE one. They did miss the bus, though, and even if it releases early August, I think they're still behind the curve, LTE or not.

Here's to hoping it IS successful, comes with an unlocked bootloader and gathers a large following in the development community.
    how exactly are they behind the curve? There are no other dual core lte phones so that will be a first. Not to mention if the specs that people are saying are true it has as good/if not better than any phone out there. I agree moto should have had these issues worked out earlier but like you said it isnt so easy getting dual core and LTE to play nice.

Global Posts
    4,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Moto is faltering due to lack of innovating products, but I can see them rebounding, its more a question of how long before they do and can they survive until then. My guess is yes.

Their sucess came out of a single device the original Droid, much like the Razr in the past. The DroidX was also a pretty good device. If they are unable to have flagship phones out on every major carier they will not be able to compete with the Samsung/HTC/LG's out there. The Droid did well as it was the best phone out for quite a long time on VZW. If the Droid was released next to the Inc it would ahve been a much tougher time for Moto to grow to the heights they did.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts
    ROM
    Project Elite/Raid Zero

Let's not even talk about how Samsung is going to beat them to the LTE market with their tab. How does that happen. All I hear is excuses for them. You can't figure out how to get LTE to work on your product(s) find another business.

Sent from my Droid

ROM
    Stock

Let's not even talk about how Samsung is going to beat them to the LTE market with their tab. How does that happen. All I hear is excuses for them. You can't figure out how to get LTE to work on your product(s) find another business.

Sent from my Droid
    It's fine. It's not like they were claiming to have the first 4g lte tablet or anything.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

Sent from my Droid
    Samsung had an lte phone before them also not to mention Samsung was working on their tab with a later time frame in mind to getting it released and it was still pushed back a few weeks.

ROM
    KaosGingerbread (CM7)

I think the Charge and LTE were good for Samsung because what they learned in its developed probably helped the Tab >a ton<.

Moto probably aimed too high from the beginning and we all know what happened with the Etna.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts
    ROM
    Project Elite/Raid Zero

Quote Originally Posted by mylasthope View Post
    It's fine. It's not like they were claiming to have the first 4g lte tablet or anything.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Droid

Man, CK, you aren't pulling any punches today! Having a bad day, are we?
    Cory

ROM
    Bionic Stock Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by corymcnutt View Post
    In a dog eat dog world you can't be a cat.
    Drosul likes this.

Moto's biggest mistake was not getting the bionic out in April, when it was initially supposed to be released. A bionic then, would have blown away the TBolt/Charge, and been a huge boom to their first/second quarter statements.

Instead, Moto's 1st/2nd quarter statements include the Atrix (which isn't a failure, but I wouldn't consider it a huge success either ), and the Xoom (which is a failure all around, especially on it's "4g/LTE")

Now Moto has to compete their Bionic, in the 3rd quarter, against a superior product in the GSII, and a much more popular product in the newest iphone... Moto is in trouble and they only have themselves to blame.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts
    ROM
    Project Elite/Raid Zero

Quote Originally Posted by corymcnutt View Post
    Having a fantastic day but pretty perturbed at Motorola. Roaring doesn't assuage my feelings anymore. So all I have is this keyboard and my thoughts. They get tossed into the ether for all to see.

Perhaps I'm just simply insane. Hmmmm. Something for me to definitely ponder.......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast