Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default Cannot get phone into download mode? WTF help plz

When I remove the battery from my Charge, plug the USB cable into my device, and hold power the power button + the Down Volume button NOTHING HAPPENS.

I try holding only the down volume button. Nothing happens.

I am using the OEM cable. I have tried on two laptops, an XP and a Win7. I have tried every USB port on both laptops. Nothing happens.

Can someone please explain WTF is going on and why this isn't working? And yes, I have installed the Samsung drivers included in the first post.

Default Re: Cannot get phone into download mode? WTF help plz

Do you have ODIN running before you plug the phone in?
    [Every time a phone gets rooted, an angel gets its wings.]
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Yes, I did have Odin running first.

I finally just figured it out - I had to have the battery in the phone in order to get it to go into Download Mode.

Really wish the OP would update his post and put that in there - I could have saved a lot of time.

It's hit or miss. I've read people having the same problems you did. Some people have to leave the battery in, others didn't have to.
    [Every time a phone gets rooted, an angel gets its wings.]

I think having the battery in depends on the mod. I've had to do it both ways with my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    It's hit or miss. I've read people having the same problems you did. Some people have to leave the battery in, others didn't have to.
    Agreed it is totally hit or miss. Personally I've never had ot put the battery in mine to do it but my buddy always has to. If I'm not mistaken tho you should NOt have to have the battery in which is why most instructions say to remove it.

Never had to have the battery in my charge to get the connection.

Possibly....your usb ports are not sending 5v to the phone...hence no start. The phone has to have power from something to turn on....and if the battery is out...then it has to be the cable.

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4 Rooted

I had to leave the battery in when I flashed w/ ODIN. Otherwise, the phone would connect and then immediately disconnect. Perhaps it wasn't getting enough voltage, like wetwaterdog said.

Biggest problem might have been you don't need to hold the power button. As long as your plugged in you can just hold the Vol - button...