Changing Boot Animations

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've recently tried to change my boot animation but it seems the phone is not letting me. After doing some research, I tried placing a bootanimation.zip in system/media, then discovered that samsung uses some proprietary .qmg files (namely bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg) for their startup animations, so that method was useless. Further research suggests that the only way to be able to add a custom boot animation is to flash a kernel that supports this customization. I haven't been able to find reliable information and there is little known about .qmg files, as they are proprietary to samsung.

I had a few questions for anyone who is familiar with this process on Samsung phones:
1) Will deleting bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg default the system to look at bootanimation.zip or will it mess up my phone?
2) Is it true that the only way to change the animation is through a kernel that supports this customization?
3) Is it possible to customize the boot animation for this device at all?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Just flashed imnuts new kernel and finally get rid of the stock animation. Was getting stale.
No need to delete any of the qmg files, just put a bootanimation.zip file in system/media.
There are a ton of them in the fascinate forum. Imnuts says the updater script may not work, so just extract the zip and move em with root explorer.

Typed with my thumbs via Tapatalk

Reactions: deadpenguins

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet